New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Adderall for Study Aides

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Megalinoxo, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Megalinoxo

Megalinoxo Member

In recent years Adderall has been seen as a study aide for students on high school and college campuses. People believe it is a "safe" drug because it is a prescription. This can be far from true. Unfortunately, I have seen many college students have adverse reactions to the drug.

I know from my personal experience it can be incredibly hard to get friends to understand the severity of taking adderall. It is so prevalent across my college campus, you would think they were just eating a piece of candy.

What do you think can be done for students taking Adderall to study? How would you approach a friend that takes it for these reasons?
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

You're absolutely right. Most students don't realize that Adderall is an amphetamine, and it's more addictive than countless other drugs. Students think of it more as a performance enhancer than an actually drug, so they abuse it without even realizing that it's something that can be abused.

Better education on Adderall and fewer prescriptions of the drug would help lessen the very real consequences a lot of college students who use Adderall deal with at some point.
  3. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

I think it would be better if universities can spread the news about Adderall, focusing on the negative effects it can give the users. Because as I see it, students who are using it are blind to the negative consequences, and they usually don't know it until it's too late. We don't want that to happen to every college student.
    AFKATafcar likes this.
  4. Allen24

Allen24 Active Contributor

I thankfully have no friends who take it. I've never tried it and I have no interest. I think it would make me feel scatter brained. I also agree that schools should warn students against the dangers of the drug. My school has never said anything about it to us.
  5. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

I agree. Thousands of students take Adderall without a prescription, and they obviously don't know how dangerous it can be for themselves. A little education could go a long way in preventing some pretty serious consequences for even casual users of Adderall.
  6. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

I could remember talking to someone who took that adderall pill he did not have that great of experience with the medicine. I mean its supposed to make you focus and not get distracted. I never took the pill and its obvious where you can find where the pill is located as far as stores is concerned. I just focused like normal and did not need to have any adderall to get through studies.
  7. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Active Contributor

Adderall is a study aid and as someone who goes to a difficult source I can see the temptation of taking that - especially with its advantages and how easy it is to get. However, Adderall is definitely not worth it with its long term problems and how it can end up hurting you or killing you.
  8. jenbeau90

jenbeau90 Member

Education is definitely key here. If people keep disrespecting drugs, addictions and dependence will keep on getting worse. Without a proper fear of drugs people will abuse them.
  9. ariana_

ariana_ Member

I know several friends with "ADHD" who have a "prescription" for adderall. While I don't doubt that ADHD is a real disorder, I do doubt its prevalance. So many college kids think being unable to focus while studying (which is entirely normal) means ADHD, and turn to adderall because they think they need it. I highly doubt all of them truly have ADHD. Basically, since the drug is an answer to a legitimate learning disability, people think abusing Adderall is okay...but abusing it is really not. People with prescriptions do not think they are abusing the drug because the doctor gave them a piece of paper that said it was okay...even though they are abusing it by taking large doses right before exams to stay up all night studying...
    jenbeau90 likes this.
  10. MissManda

MissManda Member

I think it would be beneficial if the high schools and college/university campuses helped to spread awareness of the drug. Maybe the students who are using it aren't fully aware of the effects of the drug. I personally am in university and have not heard about it, that is not saying that there aren't students here who are using it. But it goes to show the lack of awareness of the drug.
    So if the schools promoted awareness of the drug like they do with alcohol and tobacco, then they might be able to raise more student awareness.
  11. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

I never realized how popular Adderall was until I got to college. Kids are looking for it left and right to use, and it's especially popular around finals time! I've never personally tried it, but basically everyone I know at school takes it for studying all of the time. Apparently it works really well, because I'll wake up to text messages at like five in the morning from them saying that they're still wide awake and able to be studying!
  12. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

The danger here is serious dependency. I know people who even experience withdrawal without it. But I supposed if the ADD is really that bad to the point of losing focus when studying, then it could be applicable.
  13. hellonamesdana

@musicmonster, there's actually a kid at my college who sells his own prescription. It's horrible! Like he'll skip doses of his prescribed medications that he needs to function properly in order to sell it to other students so that they can get high or stay up constantly to study for finals and stuff like that. It's only a matter of time until something bad happens to him!
  14. fire421

fire421 Member

It is difficult because students automatically think that it's safer because of the fact that it's a prescription drug. A lot of my friends take it to help them focus for long periods of time. I try to tell them about the dangers of it but they just laugh at me. Educated them might help but some will just have to learn the hard way
  15. e_rosenfeld

e_rosenfeld Member

I attend a four year university in North Carolina and I would just like to agree with you on the fact that college students do pop these things like candy. Students of all ages and years take adderall as a study aid, even I did a couple times. I had no idea the severity of the drug until after reading this thread. My aspect of the drug has definitely changed but this makes me wonder; how can we spread word about this issue?
  16. hellonamesdana

It's really getting bad. I had no idea that people took these as often as they do until I got to school here where I am in New York. Students are taking these things like candy, just like you said, without thinking about what could happen to them if they take too much of it, or what could happen to the kids who are selling their prescriptions when they don't take it even though they are the ones who really need it to function correctly!
  17. forehandflick

forehandflick Member

I believe that Adderall is very commonly seen as a method of giving students an advantage that they 'need.' Unfortunately, it's so popular and easy to get these days, students don't realize how much they can accomplish by studying hard and getting a good night's sleep without any drugs. Whatever happened to the good ol' study aide of caffeine?
  18. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. Thinking that prescription or legal drugs are somehow automatically safer is too much of a fallacy and it really should be looked into a lot more. If my friend was abusing it then I'd try to research on it a bit more and if it years really harmful then I would bring up those facts for them and have them decide how to go about it.
  19. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

For anyone who has actually done Adderall, I have read that you become productive in the most unproductive types of ways. Is that true? Is it possible to study?
  20. HugsNotDrugs

HugsNotDrugs Active Contributor

I know many of them too used to be prescribed Adderall or Ritalin as a child, and they figure "If I could take it as a kid why can't I take it now?". But they never check the label, never check the dose, and end up doing too much. As a child, they were probably on a much lower dose at first and his parents and psychiatrist watched his behavior to make sure he wasn't having a bad reaction. But now as an adult they are taking large doses, unsupervised.

It's not the same thing!