New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Adderall

Discussion in 'Other Amphetamines / Stimulants' started by articulatemindz, Oct 6, 2014.

1. A lot of my friends have been taking Adderall for every test they have in University because its a performance enhancing drug. My friends have told me that they feel their blood rushing throughout their body and they occasionally start to shake uncontrollably, but it helps maximize the efficiency of their studying time so they take it anyways. I was wondering if Adderall has any long term effects for the human body and if you stop taking it will it effect how well you study? Also, can Adderall be addictive and are their any short term side effects to this drug?
  2. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

Adderall can definitely be addictive. Yes, it is true that it can help in studying, but I suggest that unless it's prescribed, don't take it. It might just ruin your health and your life.
  3. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

When it comes to physical complications I have recently read that Adderall abuse can increase the risk of critical cardiovascular problems and strokes. Additionally, some recent studies have show that Adderall abuse in children may inhibit growth and hormonal development.

http://drugabuse.com/library/the-effects-of-adderall-use/
  4. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

This is the problem with most drugs, not only they cause addiction when aiming for it's primary use, but they also have terrible side effects that totally mess up our bodies.
  5. Nick W.

One of the biggest problems with that is that teens and young adults they don't see those physical issues until later in life, and since it "don't bother" them, they dismiss it as irrational thinking, or fear mongering. The realities of what these substances do to our bodies should be more prominently featured in today's drug awareness campaigns. Rather than a "war on drugs" I'd like to see a work on ignorance about drugs. Fight it from the roots, and make sure it does not grow.
  6. Gelsemium

That is so true, sadly when we are in our teens we don't think what will happen in 20 years, so we just think we will be young forever and that is hardly the case.
  7. Nick W.

Having gone through the "scared straight" program myself, I am a big advocate of it. It's scary as hell, but at the same time it's eye opening for a lot of kids. Now, I'm not saying it's the right thing for everyone, and I believe that the wrong kid could even be worse because of it, but it has value I think. It shows a glimpse into real people and real consequences.
  8. sweetkymom

sweetkymom Member

Adderall can be and IS a dangerous drug. Unless you've been prescribed the drug by a prescribing doctor for a legit diagnosis, stay away from it! I've seen the dangers of this drug from a friend I went to school with. They overdosed and they almost didn't come through it. They took more then needed because they felt they'd do better on a test they had to retake.
  9. Gelsemium

I don't get the use of these prescription drugs that can also cause addiction, are we as a society so limited that need to create this sort of medicine?
  10. Nick W.

Realistically, addiction is a money maker for pharmaceutical companies. They want us buying more pills, and taking more drugs, because it's ultimately more money in their pockets. If they could give you a drug to get off a drug, they will.
  11. Gelsemium

Yes, sadly that is the reality Teen In Crisis, the sad reality. This industry is not made to cure us, but to make a profit at our expenses and even many doctors are on that boat as well.
  12. All my friends have been taking more than needed doses of it and I can see very negative side effects to it. They will randomly start twitching during a test or have a body spasm. My question is they are getting it off the counter so do you think it could be laced with something?
  13. Nick W.

Articulatemindz,
    I would be that it's not even laced with anything. Reading about some of the regular side effects of Adderall use is scary. Involuntary movement, muscle twitches & ticks, they are all side effects listed right "on the bottle" so to speak. These are things that can happen with normal use, and are exacerbated with abuse.
  14. Gelsemium

But that happens with a lot of meds, scary how addicts don't care about the side effects, they just ruin the body for some hours of pleasure...
  15. TheKid

TheKid Active Contributor

Pros:

1.You will be able to study more efficiently.
    2. You will be able to stay awake for longer periods of time.

Cons:

1. Addiction.
    2. Health problems in the long run.
    3. You will grow apart from friends and loved ones.
    4. It might lead to stronger and more dangerous drugs.

That is 4 against 2, I would suggest that you stay away from it.
  16. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Active Contributor

Adderall has been show to be quite effective studying in the short term and also helping you concentrate. However, concentration is more of a personal thing, and staying awake can be accomplished with caffeine with much less legal and health risks. Overtime, sticking on adderall can lead to heart / blood problems because its like constantly being on caffeine, but it is addicting and on top of that, being off of adderall can lead to memory issues.
  17. TheKid

TheKid Active Contributor

Yes, I agree that there are better ways to stay awake but caffeine is not really a healthy way to stay awake. I think the best way to study is to get more than enough sleep.
  18. Gelsemium

Sure, an healthy life is the best, the main question is, why do we feel the need to use these drugs when we know what might happen? Do we really know that we can become addicted?
  19. Nick W.

I'd like to point out that both normal amounts of sunshine, and just above normal amounts of water consumption, are healthy options that do indeed provide a much needed boost to human energy levels and awareness. So does getting the appropriate amount of sleep. There are ways to naturally stimulate your mind & body. It's just a matter of research and trial.
  20. Gelsemium

Exactly, it's a shame why these days so many people look for the shortest ways to get to their goals, the natural way seems to have died.