New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

ARE PRESCRIPTION DRUGS WORSE THAN STREET DRUGS?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Adrianna, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Are prescription drugs worse than street drugs?
    It certainly seems that way. You can get them easily. Some are highly addictive. They can cause death, suicide, and other health issues. The side effects are in abundance and often cause more problems than good. Personally I think they are only good for emergency circumstances.
    aztec99 likes this.
  2. Ttirb

Ttirb Active Contributor

I would say no. Yes they are addicting but they are manufactured and you actually know what you are getting. Unlike street drugs where you have no idea if your getting the same stuff you got the last time, if it's stronger or weaker, what people have added to it. Street drugs are a lot more dangerous then prescription drugs.
  3. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Drugs are different chemical compositions, even street drugs. The problem with street drugs is they are not regulated and can sometimes contain harmful things. They can be laces with other drugs or contain mold, bacteria and viruses. Prescription drugs are tested and consistent. What makes prescription drugs harmful is that people think they are so safe. All drugs have side effects, and many people have drug sensitivities without realizing it.
  4. Adrianna

Some of the prescription drugs have cocaine in them. Opioid narcotics are similar to heroine. It is regulated and controlled but most people don't realize that.
    According to a government website (drugabuse.gov) : "the abuse of opioid medications that are prescribed for the treatment of pain, such as Oxycontin®, Vicodin®, and Demerol®, have dramatically increased in recent years.
    Research now suggests that abuse of these medications may actually open the door to heroin use."
  5. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

A drug is a drug. It can be helpful; it can also be abused. I can't think of a single drug that should be used in vast amounts. As bsthebenster pointed out, though, street drugs aren't regulated, so you're not always just getting the drug, nor are you necessarily getting 'qualified' advice on how to use it. At least when you buy something at a drug store the pharmacist can provide tried-and-tested instructions on how the drug works, what it will do, and what you can do if something starts to go wrong.
  6. Adrianna

This is true. It's kind of how I look at it. Let food be thy medicine is how I try to do it. Either way you really DON'T know what you are getting. Processed and canned foods they hide all kinds of crap in there. Fish bladder in beer. Anything from a beaver butt's in what is called "natural flavors". Imagine, just imagine what additives they put in legal drugs if THAT is what they will put in food!
  7. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

The difference between prescription drugs and street drugs is the reason there used for. Street drugs have side affects but are only used for getting high. Prescription drugs are used for medication, although some people try to get high with them. Street drugs maybe more dangerous tho, because it's not like you get this from a pharmacy or know whats in it. I think prescription drugs are good in a emergency also.
  8. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

They are only good for medical purposes, and every person who thinks rationally will not abuse them. And they are NOT worse than street drugs which have all kinds of poor quality things in them, and will most likely melt your flesh off. Without medication people affected by specific conditions would die, and the "drugs" are the ones which keep them alive. They are harmless as long as they are not misused, just like marijuana and alcohol.
  9. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Someone made a very good point. We at least know where they're coming from when they're prescription, even though that doesn't make them okay. They can still be very addicting, lead to all the same problems as street drugs. So I think they're just about the same when it really comes down to it.
  10. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

Oh, really? So blood pressure pills are highly addictive too? Pills that treat diabetes too? Your statement is way too general. Keep in mind that antibiotics are also prescription pills too and trust me, you don't want to live in a world without antibiotics.

Source for that? There is no source that would state that most of the prescription drugs do more harm than good, but feel free to search for one.
  11. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

They aren't worse than street drugs, but they aren't much better either (when abused). I've been on basically everything in the book, prescription or not, and I never had anything prescription that put me in the lows that street drugs did. Yes, you can get addicted. Yes, you'll do what you can to get your hands on them. No, you won't sink to the same lows that street drugs will make you sink to.
  12. aztec99

aztec99 Member

I say yes. Prescription drugs are worse because they are easier to get, and more people take them. Furthermore, since prescription drugs are legal, people do not consider the danger as much as they might with an illegal substance. They have a false sense of security because a trusted professional ( a doctor) approved, and then handed them the prescription. The drug industry is overall an evil industry, just like many capitalist concerns, under the guise of helping to ease the worlds suffering, the industry in many ways is creating even more misery; all the while reaping enormous profit; along with the doctors, and everyone else riding the gravy train.
  13. jpadilla1

jpadilla1 Member

I think that both are just as bad. You can get "prescription" drugs on the street and people who have a prescription from a doctor at times abuse their prescription, and end up going to the street for more. Both can easily be accessed, and all drugs have some kind of affect on your body and mind. It alters you in some kind of way. Many people think that "street drugs" are worse because anyone can get them, and it's not legal, but honestly anyone can get prescription drugs too. Either you can get it on the street from those who get prescribed the pills etc. or you can make up some kind of illness and go to a doctor and convince them to keep refilling your prescription. I've personally never done that, but I know plenty of people who have. I take pills every once in awhile now, where as I used to take them a lot a few years back. All times I've ever gotten them, they have been on the "street". So personally I think that prescribed and street drugs are equally bad. Now if you take a prescription as prescribed, don't sell to anyone, don't trade for something etc. and don't abuse your medication, I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing, but you can still get addicted, but I do believe in some cases medication is needed to level out the chemicals in our brains and bodies, etc.
  14. Adrianna

Very good points the doctor said it was ok so I feel safe. Sometimes the pharmaceutical companies don't tell the doctor the whole truth about the drugs they push. The gravy train, lol, that's exactly what it is. What they all want is a monthly residual without curing anything. There is no money in cures and healthy people.
  15. Adrianna

This is what I am thinking myself. Its true sometimes you need to take something. The one thing that some people are completely oblivious to is staged illness for money. Sounds dumb but it happens. There are many different ways this is done. Make someone think they have something wrong with them so they go for medical attention. There is plenty of information on the internet about it. I didn't find out about it that way. It is hard to grasp but once you get it you will see the bigger picture. Just look up organ trafficking. How sick is that? They will pray on old people and make them think they need one thing so they then illegally take out another organ and sell it. Money, money, money....Don't get me wrong there are plenty of ethical people in the industry and they do certainly stand out. The ones that aren't show their true colors fast.
  16. Mims

Mims Active Contributor

I think this is a subjective thing. How do you determine worse? If you are gauging it by the side effects and withdrawal symptoms, I would say things like alcohol and other narcotics are worse than prescription. What about ease of access and convenience? I would put prescriptions at the forefront since they are not illegal and they can be somewhat easier to obtain than illegal narcotics and alcohol. Additionally, regular medicine is not seen as outwardly bad for you as say, meth or drinking, so that may allow addiction to come easier because you think you are not doing harm.

Overall, I would still stay street drugs are farm worse than prescription.
  17. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I would say street drugs are a danger as it can be mixed and people don't know what they are getting for the money they pay for and end up putting their life in danger and to the ones around them, which can be a bad thing for everyone who is close to them. The prescription ones are given by a doctor and only used for short term and if needed again then you would need to get another prescription kind of like inhalers, only the doctors can give it and once it ends then you need to ask for another one. Sometimes the medicine is given to get money out of the person as in some cases the patient may want to just use natural medicine instead of the man made one which can work for a short time.
  18. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I don't think they are. Prescription drugs aren't taken for recreational purposes while street drugs are. Street drugs might be laced with other substances, while prescription drugs are normally made in a sterile enviromente. Most street drugs are highly addictive while only some people get addicted to prescription drugs.
  19. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not see prescription drugs as bad drugs since it is being prescribed to cure a disease or help for a health condition. It will be the matter of proper usage, dosage and right prescription. Illegal drugs is proven bad that is why being illegal.
  20. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Just as most people have stated, street drugs are unequivocally worse. Yes, prescription drugs can have adverse side effects and can be abused and on that note, I never understood why doctors prescribe an entire pack of antidepressants (enough to kill them very quickly) to a patient when they are suffering with depression. Where's the logic in that?

However, prescription drugs are regulated - drugs like cocaine and opiates are often used in medicine and that is not unusual. Any drug used in medicine can become a street drug if it gives the user a high that dealers can make money from.

Street drugs are also always mixed with other chemicals before they even hit the streets. They could be laced with absolutely anything. Additionally, there are home made street drugs like Krokodil which is absolutely lethal.