New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Ativan instead?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Jane, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

Has anyone here tried both Xanax and Ativan?

I know they're very similar, but does one have better/worse side effects than the other or work better? It varies from person to person but a doctor recently told me that Ativan is much preferred at this time.
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I think Ativan takes longer to kick in than Xanax but the effects last longer. So Xanax is better for panic attacks whilst Ativan is better for general anxiety. However, they both work in exactly the same way and present a similar risk of addiciton if abused.
  3. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

Is there anything that kicks in FASTER than Xanax or Ativan then?

It seems like waiting half an hour for Xanax to really get going is an awfully long time when you're dealing with a full-on attack...
  4. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

Kids on my college campus use the two interchangeably. Whatever they can get their hands on really.
  5. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

One of the biggest differences between Ativan (Lorzepam) and Xanax (Alprazolam) is the way our body metabolizes the chemicals in these drugs. This is critical for people who have any type of liver problems. From the studies that I have read, it is suggested as a safer choice for the elderly because it digests easier in the body.

In more technical terms, which is way over my educational knowledge and expertise, they do have many similaries and differences. It boils down to the chemicals insides each of these prescription drugs. Although both drugs derive from class of benzodiapines, Ativan has lorazepam and Xanax has alprazolam

I have not used either of these, but a family member has been prescribed both of these medications in the past by her psychiatrist. Common sense dictates, to always ask your doctor (who knows your history) first, before taking any new medicine.
  6. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think it is interesting to see, what happens and also how the drugs can affect people and also how they are strong as well and also it can affect the mind as well. I know some people close to me have used it and also, it did change them and also it caused them to lose family and friends in the process as well. Sometimes people use this, they don't think what could happen and also they are confused as well and what can happen to the body as well.