New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Carisoprodol?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Rubyrose, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Member

My mom is addicted to taking carisoprodol, or what she calls Somas. They are a muscle relaxer and I believe she was taking them before because of having muscle pains and what not. She takes way more than what is prescribed to her and also buys them from friends. Has anyone else been addicted to that particular medication?

I've looked online and it seems that type of medication isn't something that people normally get hooked on so I am not sure if its a known medication that cause dependency.
    missbishi likes this.
  2. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

It is a drug, which is not given unless prescribed otherwise as this can be addictive and some people can misuse the drug easily and not think what could happen to them. I hope that it is not overused, as the body may not react real well and get used to it as well and when they stop they want to get back to using the drug. It has, some good effects but it can change if a person decides to rely on this and try to forget the pain that is occuring.
  3. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Member

My mom has built up tolerance of the drug so she takes way more than what is prescribed. When she takes too many pills she isn't able to walk correctly and can't talk. I just did not know if it is a drug that many people get addicted to. I know some prescription drugs are more heard of with being addictive but I myself have not heard much about carisoprodol.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Carisoprodol is a very addcitive drug. The reason you don't hear of it very often is because it isn't prescribed very frequently, due to it's abuse potential. Carisoprodol has been taken off the market in many EU countries for this reason.

Your mom needs to deal with this though. There will come a point where the doctor stops her script. This is because it is not recommended for use in the elderly (I don't know how old your mom is obviously).

Check out the Wikipedia entry for further information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carisoprodol#European_Union