New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Codeine/Co-codamol

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Sparkster, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I was quite surprised to read today that codeine/co-codamol is an opiate which many people seem to have a problem with and that it gets turned into morphine in the body. For that reason, many people abuse it and it also seems to be popular amongst heroin users. I had absolutely no idea that it was an opiate or that it turned into morphine in the body until today! The most shocking part is that co-codamol (codeine and paracetamol) is legally available over the counter in many countries including the UK (at a maximum of 8/500-mg doses)!
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Co-codamol as with any drug that's available over the counter IS a big problem and people still seem to be under the impression that just because it's available over the counter, it's safe.

Unfortunately that's not the case at all and I think more should be done to highlight the issue of drugs such as this.
  3. jbbarn

jbbarn Active Contributor

Good Lord! I can't believe that anything with codeine in it can be bought OTC! I had no idea! I don't think that's the case here in the states, but now I'm not sure. I remember when I was younger, and I had some dental surgery. My dentist prescribed codeine, and my dad sat up all night with me to make sure I didn't get groggy enough to take too much. He didn't need to bother. It knocked me for a loop! Anything with codeine has the potential to be dangerous and addictive!
  4. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I know the feeling. I've taken it as a painkiller and that wasn't for anything dental related or anything anywhere near as extreme. It was simply for a headache and even at the lowest dose that stuff didn't just knock the pain away, it also knocked the sense out of me and I couldn't think straight! That was at the lowest dose available, as far as I am aware! This stuff is not unlike Tramadol, not at all.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Wether a drug like this can be bought over the counter or not, it's handed out daily by doctors via a prescription anyway, and sometimes that's even more dangerous.

If it's prescribed by a doctor then people think it can't be harmful, unfortunately that's far from the case.