New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

codine and valium

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by wahmed, May 21, 2015.

1. wahmed

wahmed Active Contributor

My husband took an awful fall 2 months ago. He's been taking codine for 1 month alongside Valium. He's a chain smoker so I'm worried about addiction.
  2. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Well, it's better to err on the side of caution and talk to him about it. While I don't think either will cause addiction after 1 month of use, you certainly don't want him going into month two. He definitely needs to consult with his general practitioner if he is still feeling pain after that fall, 2 months ago. Light pains may still occur, but if they are heavier than it's best for a consultation and check up.
  3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Agree with Damien, a checkup is not only good for your husband to see if everything is going fine, but also will give you some peace of mind backed by the diagnose from an expert.

From my standpoint, I don't think he may develop and addiction unless he is on this medication for long time, showing a need to increase the dose, which is the main sign of a body developing substance tolerance, but if this is not the case., everything has to be okay.
  4. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Although codine and pain killers can be addictive, it doesn't mean he'll end up being a addict. As long as your husband only uses it when he's in pain, he shouldn't end up with a habit. I'm not a expert on drug abuse or any thing, but if he knows when to quit using it he should be okay. I know people who had to use pain killers, and were able to stop with no problem. Hopefully your husband won't have a problem with this.
  5. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Interesting combination for the doctor to prescribe. A month that is a long time. Ask him, ask him how he is doing with the pain if he still feels any or if the drugs are really helping him He probably is so drugged with this combo he doesn't feel a thing. Slightly coming down would give a little idea.
    If the fall was bad enough and the pain is lasting that long. I don't know, it seems too long to me. What I wonder is do the drugs prolong pain. This is my theory. There are natural anti-inflammatory things he can take and things for pain. Magnesium is great for pain believe it or not. Switching to a natural alternative would probably be best.

Hopefully he figures it out soon. You just plant a few seeds for thought and see.
  6. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Yes there are natural cures for pain. A lot of things you can eat will reduce pain. Magnesium works, and so does a lot of other things that are not hard to find thru research. These prescription pain medicines are addictive and dangerous. I agree natural alternatives can be the way.