New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Crack cocaine

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by Sparkster, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Crack cocaine is a drug which has become increasingly popular in the UK in recent times. A few years ago the police described it as a "crack epidemic".

Along with this, there was also a rise in the use of normal cocaine, the difference being that crack is cocaine which has been washed back and allowed to crystalize.

The difference between the effects of cocaine and crack cocaine is huge! The high from smoking crack is extremely intense, so intense that the first time you try it you will probably be sick... followed by an intense euphoric high and an instant craving for more.

Crack is highly highly addictive and is definitely more addictive than smoking heroin.
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Definitely, Sparkster. Crack is highly addictive. The effects of crack use are a lot more intense than snorting powder cocaine simply as a result of the mode of ingestion. I'm not sure if I'd compare it to smoking heroin, though. Apples/oranges.
    ExpertAdvice likes this.
  3. Sparkster

I know what you mean. What I should have said is that the physical addiction to smoking crack cocaine is more addictive than the physical addiction to smoking heroin (not injecting) although the actual effects of each drug are very different to each other... if that makes sense.
  4. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

It does. I still get a puzzled look on my face when I hear about anyone smoking heroin. I've always understood why people choose to snort vs inject it, but smoking it seemed like wasting it as an active IV heroin abuser. So realizing the fact that smoking crack cocaine actually intensifies the immediate effects vs snorting powder cocaine is kind of backward by comparison.
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I've seen a few of my friends lose control over this substance and it's why I never tried it myself. The problem was that they were living in a low income area where this seems to be more rampant so they were extremely close to it and it was way too convenient for them to just walk to their neighbor to trip out and buy some and take it home. I'm not blaming the circumstances though since no one really forced my friends to get into it anyway, they chose it for themselves, but they did lose control at some point and some of them were even constantly borrowing money from the rest of us. Thankfully it seems like it was just a phase for them and most of them are now leading regular lives but I'm sure they know how wrong it could have all gone had they not had the guidance and camaraderie of their non crack friends.
  6. Sparkster

Yep, I've known a few people who got into smoking this stuff too. Thankfully most of them managed to see what it was doing to them and got out of it while they could, but one or two of them still use it now. Needless to say they started robbing people to pay for their habit and have ended up in and out of prison.
  7. TPhoenix

TPhoenix Member

I've watched so many films about chemically-developed drugs and substance abuse that I wouldn't ever touch it even with a ten foot pole and I'm glad to know all my peers share this sentiment as much as I do. The only result that can come from heading down a crack cocaine path is simply darkness and a life so spun out of control due to addiction that you either end up dead, placed in an institution or repeatedly admitted to a facility for rehab while your life remains in shambles. That should be enough to have people refrain from it, but you also have the curious bunch out there, the ones that need a remedy for stress and the ones that submit to peer pressure.
  8. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

Well thank you , I have never known the difference between, crack cocaine and cocaine, but now I do, crack cocaine seems to be a very strong drug.
  9. Sparkster

Yea, it is a very strong drug indeed. It's basically cocaine which has usually been washed back with either sodium bicarb or ammonia to make it purer then it's allowed to crystalize and can be smoked. I have heard that using ammonia to wash it back can increase the risk of a user going into coma, although I don't know if thats true or not.
  10. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I know that it is addictive and, many people lose their lives as they want more and turn to robbery to get money to fill habit and even ruins relationships with other people. Some people use it to escape their problems and don't think about consequences of actions that occur. Cocaine is a bad and not a friend, as some people think it can be your friend and help you out in life and it confuses the mind.
  11. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I have a friend who got dependent on crack cocaine. He went overseas for a year, and during that time I started noticing changes in his personality and also appearance. We kept in touch via phone and the internet. Over a period of time, his messages became ever more erratic, and I kept asking myself what was going on. Eventually, he confessed to me that he had developed an addiction to crack cocaine. He lost almost 20 kg and turned into a totally different person.
    When he returned back home, people didn't recognize him anymore. It took almost 4 years before he managed to overcome his addiction. He is doing alright these days, but he is still struggling with all the things that happened to him.
  12. weirdcatlady

weirdcatlady Member

I can answer any questions about all of this. I started snorting coke, then smoked it for a couple years, then started injecting... All totally different highs which is weird but... Ask away!
  13. Sparkster

I also know someone who started off using cocaine then went on to smoking it (crack) and became addicted for several years. He still tends to use it now occasionally, as he always eventually seems to give in to the temptation after a while. You can usually tell when he's on it or not and I can totally relate to what you are saying. He starts to look rough, stops shaving, loses weight and even his voice and the way he talks are different. He still uses other drugs regularly though.
  14. Cryyo

Cryyo Member

Do you think it is fair that crack use often results in longer jail time? Crack use is also associated with higher poverty rates. I don't think this is a coincidence.
    lynzyh28 likes this.
  15. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

This is such a dangerous substance- one use and many people are hooked - one use and some die. The effects to the body are tremendous - not to mention that people often have no control over their actions while they are high.
  16. Sparkster

These are good points. In the UK many years ago there was a television campaign against 'crack cocaine' - it showed a baby who couldn't have been any older than six months sat next to a tiny lump of 'crack'. If I remember correctly, it showed the baby picking it up and going to put it in it's mouth as though it was going to eat it. Then either a caption came up or there was a voice-over saying "this is enough crack cocaine to get a six-month old baby addicted for the rest of it's life" or something to that effect.

And yes, it is possible for people to die from the first time they smoke the stuff. As far as I am aware, it can cause asphyxia - it doesn't matter if it's the first time you've smoked it, the twentieth time you've smoke or the thousandth time you've smoked it. Every time you take it you run that risk. It's a lot like playing Russian roulette.
  17. LJS85

LJS85 Member

After being addicted to crack for about 3 years. At my bottom I was using $200 to $400 a day. I was prescribed desipramine for a few months and have been clean for 5 years now. I had offers to use and didn't have the urge.
  18. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Well it seems like the UK is catching on with the US in terms of the use of crack cocaine. The US had its crack epidemic in around the 1980s/90s and it wasn't pretty. I hope the UK will be more stern on the use of hard drugs and the sentencing for using such drugs must also be increased.
  19. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

That sounds very scary, I would think that , if you first smoke the cack cocaine and it makes you that sick, that you would want to quit and not get addicted, but it is weird , that you then get the desire to do more immediatly, this drugs are just like disease.
  20. Sparkster

Yep, that's exactly what you would think. It's quite strange. It's not a horrible, groggy feeling of sickness but is rather that the buzz the first time around is so intense and your body has never experienced it before, that it becomes so overwhelming that it makes you physically sick, sometimes quite violently. Once your body has got over that initial shock, you immediately become accustomed to the buzz and settle into it and it feels absolutely amazing. But within about twenty minutes the buzz starts to fade and you immediately find yourself craving more. It won't ever make you physically sick again but if you continue to use it, you'll get addicted.