An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Detoxing From Alcohol

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by BreakingBad, Sep 12, 2014.

1. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Member

I have decided to give up alcohol and I'm wondering how long the withdrawals last. I drank anywhere from a six pack to a case of beer every night pretty much my entire adult life until my mid-30s. It's starting to cause more problems in my life and I'm not feeling good. Why is it so scary to quit drinking and destroying myself?
  2. Joseph

Joseph DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Hi BreakingBad. Thanks for posting your question and having the courage to address your issues. The important thing is that you are aware that you need and want to make some changes. It's scary because you're stepping into the unknown. Life is different without our addictions and learning how to live differently is enough to keep most people trapped consistently in the throes of addiction.

I encourage you to get as much information as you can and continue to reach out to others for support. There are some good resources on our site about the detoxification process and other treatment and recovery topics, and the Internet is full of great information. Just commit yourself to setting the intention to make the changes you desire and be willing to do the work it takes. We're here to support you!
  3. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Hey BreakingBad! I'm glad you've decided to give up alcohol. Here's some more information on the withdrawal process and duration.
    Joseph likes this.
  4. LaLaLaLaLola

LaLaLaLaLola Member

Is it true people can die from alcohol detox?
    Joseph likes this.
  5. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Member

Thanks RecoveryMentor. I've been thinking about rehab more and more.
    Joseph likes this.
  6. Joseph

Joseph DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Jen S. likes this.
  7. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

8. gypsyangel

gypsyangel Member

I had to be admitted for my alcohol detox. The DT's were quite bad. Currently, my nephew stopped drinking not by choice though. He ran out of money and his girlfriend wouldn't buy him any liquor either. It was unfortunate that he went into alcoholic seizures and is still in the hospital. He has lost alot of his memory due to the seizures and his not breathing. If I had known he was in that situation, I would have tried to help him before he just went cold turkey and to make sure he had the proper things in place medically so he would not have suffered.
    Joseph likes this.
  9. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Oh my gosh, gypsyangel that is so sad. :(
    Thank you for sharing about your nephew. Sometimes I think due to the fact that it's legal/a socially accepted substance people can underestimate the impact it has on the body. During abuse and withdrawal.
    Joseph likes this.
  10. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Don't worry. It's the normal effect of alcohol on people already addicted to it. Alcohol interferes with our normal brain processes, taking away your level of control and ability to think rationally. When a person is highly intoxicated, the brain loses its consciousness so it reverts back to subconscious mode. Losing that ability to make sound decisions, the idea of "quitting" scares you. I'm pretty sure when you return to your usual self, you won't feel this scared. That's why you need to detox. Detoxification will no doubt restore your confidence. Just hang on and seek the company of others to feel motivated. Never spend time alone when you're trying to be sober.
  11. shilpa123

shilpa123 Member

Quitting alcohol is very tough when compared to getting addicted to it. I think one must understand and be strong during the entire quitting process. The one thing that the people are worried about while thinking about quitting is to think about what if they get addicted once again. Hence, be careful about all your actions.
  12. edthebig

edthebig Member

Definitely agree with you. Just remember it only gets easier after the first few weeks. Try resisting the urge. We are very proud and what you are doing is awesome.
  13. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Member

14. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Member

Hi BreakingBad, I hope you found the courage to stop and if not, good luck when you do. It might be worth consulting a doctor if you are worried about withdrawal symptoms or perhaps a counsellor in a local detox facility. I'm not sure where you live or what the facilities are like there but I was lucky enough to find free counselling in the UK when I first stopped drinking and it really helped a lot. There are certain drugs that can alleviate withdrawal symptoms but I won't mention them here as it is better for a medical professional to evaluate your needs.

What I can tell you is that the symptoms of long-term alcohol abuse are generally more frightening than any you will experience when you quit, especially if you do so with the help of experienced professionals. Everybody is different so it's hard to predict what, if any, symptoms you will suffer. Personally, I had night sweats, some shaking and I felt quite vulnerable for a few weeks but nothing that made me regret my decision.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  15. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

I was lightheaded and had nightly sleeplessness as my worst symptoms. I could usually handle the sick-to-my-stomach feeling I had, because I had that when I drank as well. Maybe the worst part were the insanely vivid dreams. I was coming off a fifth a night habit, and it wasn't even from choice. I lost my job because of my drinking, and it's probably one of the better things that could have happened, considering how far down the hole I was.
  16. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Member

I didn't realise that I even had a "drinking problem" until I tried to stop. It's not until you are able to look back on the way you used to behave with an objective mind that you can truly see the madness of it all. I had difficulty sleeping for quite a while too - you just reminded me of that. It's been over two years since I stopped and my memories have begun to fade a little to be honest but I remember nothing that was so awful that it ever made me wish I had not stopped.

For long-term recovery, I think that making some healthy lifestyle changes (in addition to quitting alcohol of course) is essential. I lift weights a couple of times a week and spend time on a stationary cycle almost every day. The healthier I become the more protective I am of my own body and the more remote the possibility of me sabotaging my recovery becomes.
    Lackluster likes this.
  17. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Congratulations!!! you have taken the first step and that is to stop it now.
    Withdrawal symptoms can take a month and with this comes pain in the lower back area( kidneys and liver are repairing) sore or sensitive teeth and very bad headaches along with mood swings. After a month it starts getting back to normal and you will feel absolutely lighter and fresher and even more focused.
    Lackluster likes this.
  18. Lackluster

Lackluster Active Contributor

Glad to say that a lot of that was true for me. It boggled my mind the first time I woke up early in the morning, after having a good night's rest. I even sleep through the whole night sometimes. I didn't know about the pain in the back aspect of it, but it does explain why my back used to hurt, even as young as I was.
  19. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Yes all the aches and pains are from detox and it is a good sign if the back is sore as it means that the liver and kidneys are repairing themselves, which means that they are still there and able to repair!
  20. toppot44

toppot44 Member

I think one reason why you are scared of quitting is because of the unknown of how your body will react and how much you will crave with elapsed time without. In addition, there is a natural fear that you may not over come the addiction. The main thing to remember is think positive and remember how better of you would be if you had not ever became addicted. I too was an alcoholic for many years, but I ultimately chose health, family, & good relationships over my own destructive lifestyle. Being a spiritual person, I had to call on God to give me the strength to resist the temptations as well. There is constant pressure of relapsing, but after being sober for an adequate amount of time made me realize how much I didn't need it. Hang in there buddy.