New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Detoxing From Amphetamine

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Sparkster, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

As far as I can tell (and in my experience) detoxifying from Amphetamine is very dangerous and can potentially be a lot more dangerous than other more well-known harder drugs. Amphetamine (Speed) bypasses the the body's energy system completely and can allows user to function without food or sleep for weeks. Unfortunately, the effects of this deprivation only starts to show once the user is coming down off the drug and they can experience very severe physical and mental health symptoms as a result - confusion, delusions, hallucinations, heart pulpitations, bladder problems, stomach problems and much more. If the crash is severe enough it can be fatal.
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

3. Sparkster

That's a pretty interesting read and I agree with most of it, but the one thing I was a little surprised to read was that some people experience zero withdrawal symptoms afrer taking it for lengthy periods - I can't imaging anyone not experiencing some kind of side effect from stopping taking it.

I'm not sure if there is a great deal of difference but the majority of the amphetamine in the UK these days is 'base' (presumably short for freebase) and is quite pasty/oily. I actually have a nephew with ADHD and I know someone who is narcoleptic. I don't think Adderall is prescribed in the UK though.
  4. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Maybe Ritalin instead? Or Dexedrine?
  5. Daniel Lucky

Daniel Lucky Active Contributor

I had a friend who was on amphetamines really bad almost 4 1/2 years and when he decided to quit, he went on a fruit diet and would only drink hot tea for 6 weeks with plenty exercise. He made a firm commitment to stay away from any type of upper or any thing that would speed him up to quick. Today he has been off of meth for almost 3 years now and is doing really good. He said to fully get away from that drug he had to get physically and spiritually clean.
  6. Sparkster

I admire your friend for doing so. Amphetamine is actually a lot more addictive than most people realize and the side effects when giving up can be extremely dangerous. The best thing to do is to stay away from these substances all together. A diet of tea and fruit is good - plenty of antioxidants. The problem is people tend to keep 'topping up' with pher/meth and then quitting suddenly can cause severe physical health symptoms than can be detrimental. Most people, even people who use it, don't realize quite how dangerous speed is.
  7. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

8. Daniel Lucky

Daniel Lucky Active Contributor

some people call meth the gateway to hell. So I can imagine the struggle it must be trying to come out of this hell. Like I said I watched a really good friend go through all the detox symptoms and he struggled, but made it. Any one dealing with this addiction, has to remain focused and stay tough. My friend that was hooked told me some of the craziest stuff in detail when it came to using. Remain positive and stay focused!
  9. Sparkster

It's strange to hear it being called meth, you don't really hear it called that in the UK, it's just phet or base, although it's pretty much the same thing. Ther's very little proper meth in the UK, just amphetamine. I know people who have had a hard time with this stuff too - not just physical symptoms but psychosis too.
  10. kfontroy

kfontroy Active Contributor

That sounds pretty serious. Rough.
  11. MoxNRDA

MoxNRDA Member

Well, amphetamines don't "bypass" a users "energy system"; they are stimulant medications, and like all stimulants, they work by making your body and brain think that its in a "fight or flight" situation (i.e. sympathetic overdrive). That is why they suppress appetite and increase wakefulness, and decrease the desire and ability to sleep. You are still using "energy" at the same rate when on amphetamines, you just lack the normal bodily drives to replenish energy stores.