New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drug Induced Coma from Opioids

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Janie, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Janie

Janie Active Contributor

Has anyone had, or known someone that was in a drug induced comatose state from taking too many opioid painkillers, such percoset, oxycodone, etc.

I have a couple questions about it - if you were in a comatose state, did you know it? Were you aware it was from the painkillers? Is there anyway you may have thought something else happened, and didn't link it to the drugs?

If someone was taken to the hospital in this state, would there be a way the hospital could tell this is what was happening? Would they be able to detect this as a drug induced stupor?
  2. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Yeah. My mother. I took care of her for awhile and she was on some VERY heavy opiates (oxycontin) and things of that nature like a stew. Oftentimes she'd pass out in her own cereal, oblivious to the fact she was even in a "coma" like state. I took care of her until she got better though, had to help her to bed and things like that and daily activities. I could tell they were over-dosing her for her body weight and type. I couldn't say anything though, I just had to deal with it.