New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Drugging of America: Prescription painkillers kill more Americans than heroin and cocaine combined

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by EditorsRHumansToo!, Apr 19, 2015.

1. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

I coined the title from Dr. David W. Tanton, Ph.D. Also, I dug up this old news from Natural News, dated back on 12th September 2012. The title speaks for itself "Prescription painkillers ..." -- hard-to-pronounce pharma names eludes me.

Prescription drugs kill more people than heroin and cocaine put together! Sounds dizzying to think about how these doctors who've sworn to help sick people prescribe drugs, heroin and cocaine they wouldn't even use. Or maybe, they do?

Dr. Suzzanne Humphries has to say about harmless alternative with Vit.C to good health than getting fixed with drugs. Her 25+ years of experience allows her to share the success of her drug-free treatment with her patients.

What have we got to lose educating ourselves and taking control of our health?

It's about time that you and I get smarter. Be well informed. People matter!
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

That's very alarming. I think people should start making an effort to know/be aware of all the facts (good effects and negative effects) about those drugs being prescribed to them.
  3. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I guess the fact that these painkillers are so easily accessible really should be alarming. Do people actually realize how addictive some of those drugs can be? My grandma became addicted to lexotan because her GP prescribed her the drug continuously on a regular basis. This could be avoided if more strict measures were to be implemented.
  4. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

It is surprising and did not think that this killed many people and most doctors prescribe this easily and, surprising that it is even given and alsoo don't think of the consequences that could happen. I hope, the government and health officials do more so it is not given in the first instance and this can affect the brain and cause it to be drugged and do strange things. Doctors should check, if the person even needs this in the first place and also see how the progress is and if the person has allergies than should stop giving it to the person.
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

This is really sad. I'm not going to put the blame on government but truth be told, they should do something about the rising rate of prescription drug abuse. If the government fails to contain this problem, it'll grow so big that it'll probably be so difficult to solve. American citizens need more empowerment and self-assurance. This reliance on prescription drugs is a sickness of the heart as much as it is a psychological issue.
  6. E.Mil

E.Mil Senior Contributor

I think that when taking prescribed medication, a person should do their own research. I know I do, before I put medicine into my body I need to know for myself what the medication is capable of doing and not just take the doctor's word.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It's a frightening fact that prescription drug abuse is on the increase but Big Pharma likes it this way so we're unlikely to be offered any form of natural treatment from our usual physicians.
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think most people have the misconception that they can pass off the responsibility of their own safety and well being onto others, and even though that's somewhat true because we need to trust doctors and other public service men and women, there's still a huge responsibility for us as citizens to do our own research not only to protect ourselves but others like us as well.
    EditorsRHumansToo! likes this.
  9. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

I appreciate all your responses of shock with concern for our fellow human beings. The ailing and the old are helpless, and are deserving of professional doctors' respect and genuine care.

We, who are able to research, study and make intelligent decision with truth should have the voice in our societies.
    Last edited: May 3, 2015
  10. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Why are painkillers so easily accessible anyway? Shouldn't we do something about this?
    It's not only in the US that this happens, things in my country are far worse.
    Also, we should also be aware of the fact that people aren't really informed about the lethal side effects of them, and more information campaigns could really be useful.
    EditorsRHumansToo! likes this.
  11. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

This is really sad, especially since addiction often starts when the medication is prescribed for illness or injury. Some doctors are becoming more aware of the addiction risk and using the most addictive prescriptions sparingly and for only short durations, but not all doctors are so careful.

One of the problems is that with these painkillers, people may still be fairly functional all the while their liver is being destroyed by the drugs, and because it is prescribed for an actual condition, family members may not be alerted to the problem until it is serious or the person has suffered serious damage from the drugs already.

I am glad to see there is some progress in this area, but pharmaceutical companies will continue to push their products anyway. We have to stand up for our loved ones when they need treatment that involves pain relief and actively seek out less harmful pain management treatments.
  12. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

At this point, I believe that most people realize the dangers of prescription drugs. Some people can't avoid taking them, though, and others are simply addicted to them. The damage doesn't become evident right away, but things can only worsen as time goes on. It's a relatively unseen problem that people choose to ignore, but the statistics show that prescription drugs pose a huge problem for addiction issues today.
  13. sclupto

sclupto Member

One under-reported stat is the the role of prescription drugs as a gateway. Most heroin addicts don't start out that way, but heroin is so much cheaper and stronger and easier to find that many prescription drugs people get hooked on.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That is an alarming data. Right that people should be aware of this and should not be talking too much or beyond the dosage that was advised to intake. Also mixing medications with other drugs is really dangerous.
  15. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I feel like more and more, people's eyes are being opened to the dangers that lie within their own medicine cabinets - and I think it's good that more word is getting out about prescription drug abuse and how much of an issue it presents. I think that a big step towards preventing something is firstly understanding that it exists - from there, strategies can be worked on to try and find ways to deal with it.
    deanokat likes this.
  16. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

It is a dramatic fact actually. I had no idea and everything I knew about this was just from Hollywood and rappers like Eminem. I was curious. How do you die of painkillers? How do you OD? They have to mixed, I suppose, with something. I never gave it a thought. Is it alcohol or some other pills and how much of those you have to take to OD?
  17. Okaviator

Okaviator Senior Contributor

That is very sad, and to think that these prescription drugs are used as medicine. Humans are just to stupid to realize that these prescription drugs aren't acting as medicine. Instead they are slowly killing a person.