New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

From Percocet to Heroin

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by Faygo1224, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Faygo1224

Faygo1224 Active Contributor

As most know, many prescription drugs are being abused this day in age especially opiates. In my city of Milwaukee,WI , I have found that many people abuse drugs such as , Oxycontin oxycodone etc and end up using heroin after it becomes too expensive and the high is no longer good enough. I have so many friends who just last year I saw begin down that same path and are now full blown heroin abusers and completely addicted.

Does anyone else from other cities see the same dynamic happening in their community or among their friends? I feel like it's getting worse and worse. With prescription drugs quite rampant on the streets these days, I can only imagine how bad it must be for a city that is bigger than mine.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I live in the metropolitan Detroit area and heroin use is rampant here as well. People start off on RX opiates, get hooked on the feeling they get from them, then can't get their RXs refilled. Once they discover how pricey buying pills illegally is, they turn to heroin because it's so cheap. It's a horrible cycle that is claiming a lot of lives.
    ToKenbetrue likes this.
  3. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Richmond Virginia, the closest large city to me, doesn't seem to have as many problems as some of the other aeas of the country is this regard, but I think prescription drug abuse it is becoming more widespread. I hope that heroin use doesn't become as big of a problem here as it is in other parts of the country, but it could happen for a variety of reasons.
  4. Here in San Diego, the transition from prescription drugs to heroin is all to common and has been the "great equalizer" making almost everyone succeptible to addiction. These days it is all about OxyContin. Like @deanokat said, they get on a prescription, run out of the prescription, or money, and realize that they can get the same high for cheaper with heroin and are off to the races. To make things worse, dealers, usually from mexico here, are putting Fentanyl in the heroin because it is much more potent and requires only a little to produce the same effect. The problem is that just a few grains of fentanyl are deadly.
    ToKenbetrue likes this.