New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

getting off ambien

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by kgord, Aug 30, 2015.

1. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I have been taking an ambien substitute to help me sleep for the past couple of months. I have gotten myself down to a quarter of a pill or less, but I am afraid of trying to sleep with out it...I have cut out caffeine past noon. But I have slept without the ambien pill I few times...and I didn't get enough sleep. Any suggestions? Meditation and deep breathing doesn't seem to help. I have some all natural sleep meds I just bought and have built up an immunity to melatonin so that probably won't help.
  2. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

Cutting out caffeine in the afternoon is definitely a good idea. Do you have much of a routine at bedtime? I've had sleeping issues in the past and I found that putting pressure on myself to sleep only made things more difficult. Having a routine that you follow each night sort of gets you in the 'sleep-zone'. My routine is: a cup of green tea, no electronics 30 minutes before bed time, take my makeup off/brush teeth, pajamas on, then into bed. If I'm not asleep within 30 minutes I get up and read/do another quiet (an non-electronic!) activity for a while until I feel sleepy again.

I also try to focus on something I am looking forward to or enjoy while I'm lying in bed waiting for sleep. Something like a planned summer holiday is fun to imagine. This keeps my mind busy without dwelling on problems or negative thoughts. Those thoughts do come into my mind sometimes, but I consciously push them away and focus on my happy thoughts again.

Have you spoken with your doctor about reducing your ambien/substitute use?