New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Healthy Lifestyle

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by VitaMuse, Jun 16, 2015.

1. VitaMuse

VitaMuse Member

It can be hard to resist the temptation of getting wasted. What I find helps is promoting a healthier lifestyle. I.e. not skipping meals, ensuring to eat plenty of fruit and vegetables and drink plenty of juice and water. I find drinking plenty of water helps dramatically in cleansing the body, although it doesn't taste quite like scotch it is highly refreshing in a literal sense. I have found that by taking these steps, I have felt much better within myself and felt no need to pollute my body. Does anyone else find this helpful?
    xTinx likes this.
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Without a doubt I think engaging in a healthy lifestyle helps significantly. You're right about water having that cleansing and refreshing effect -- I always feel much better mentally as well as physically when I am hydrating properly. I also think good nutrition works wonders. There's that saying "you are what you eat" and if I am constantly eating junk food or things that don't have much nutritional value I end up feeling lethargic and not very motivated. In contrast when I'm eating well I feel like I can take on the world!
  3. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

I'd advise that you do not drink too much juice. Most juice contains large amounts of sugar, natural sugar, but sugar. Sugar can cause mood swings that can be detrimental to someone trying to stay sober.
  4. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Living a healthy lifestyle is a unanimous advice to keep your body in good shape. Aside from eating healthy food, don't forget to get adequate sleep, because if you lack sleep, your body can't function well without it and you get sloppy work results.
  5. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Excellent point about not polluting the body. I definitely found that when I took a greater interest in my physical health, it curbed the temptation to drink alcohol. Why would I want something like that to enter my body if I’m trying to keep it healthy? So I definitely think it’s one strategy that can be helpful.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While there's no doubt that a healthy lifestyle will help a person, I still think some people will be susceptible to abusing certain substances.

I know a few people who eat healthily, go to the gym 3 times a week but then at the weekend go out and get drunk and maybe smoke a few joints, so it doesn't always go hand in hand.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I totally agree wih you. Health is wealth, and because of that, we must maintain our good health and stay fit. And yes, drinking plenty of water a day would really do wonders to your body. It wouldn't just make you feel refreshed, but I have noticed, my skin is kind of glowing too ever since that day I have considered water therapy.
  8. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I agree that having a healthy lifestyle can help in cleansing the body of toxins but it also entails a lot of discipline to avoid abusing substances or drugs. A healthy lifestyle and an attitude of discipline go hand-in-hand in promoting a sober life.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Yes, thinking or wanting to have a healthy lifestyle could help a person avoid having or taking those bad vices. He or she will be focused on consuming those that are healthy. Also will prefer doing exercises that will keep him busy and stay away from those bad vices.
  10. jkendall

jkendall Member

Substance abuse destroys the body and mind. A healthy lifestyle stengthens the body and mind. They are naturally antagonistic and as such I believe a healthy lifestyle is one off the absolute fundmental pilars in truly succeeding with recovery.
  11. Missfortune81

Missfortune81 Member

They say that exercise is the best anti-depressant there is, and I certainly believe that. the problem is getting motivated when you struggle with issues like depression and anxiety. I wish I was one of those people who get motivated to change when they go through hard times, but I'm just not. I always want to retreat inside myself and sometimes do things that I know are not good for me, like drinking and smoking cigs.
  12. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I often find that I am at my weakest or I can be tempted easier when I am tired or hungry.
    This is why I think it's important to really focus on the necessaries of life.
    Eating proper meals, drinking enough water and getting enough sleep.
    I find these increase my will power dramatically!
  13. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Living a healthy lifestyle is definitely one of the must-do list for recovering substance abusers and people who want to change themselves. According to studies, the types of food you eat may also affect your mood, behavior and way of thinking. If your body is too polluted and riddled with toxins, then it's not surprising to develop negative thoughts and emotions.
  14. Kaarina3

Kaarina3 Member

If you want to stay always good-looking and attractive, the main key is a proper lifestyle that is healthy nutrition and physical exercises helping your body remain strong and young.
  15. I agree that having a healthy lifestyle can help in cleansing the body of toxins but it also entails a lot of discipline to avoid abusing substances or drugs.
    And I'd advise that you do not drink too much juice
  16. Hopela

Hopela Member

Healthier is better for sure! my spouse was a user and when he recovered he was motivated by exercise, weight gain and strength training. this seems to help the body and soul and a better lifestyle
    deanokat likes this.