New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Help - I live by my old drug dealer

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Self Will Sucks, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Please help me decide the smartest move for my recovery. I almost had a year clean (went to inpatient rehab). I felt so strong in my recovery and after 7 months clean I slipped and had a drink and got kicked out of my sober living house. I'm staying with family now until I find a job and can move out on my own. Well this family member lives a few doors down from my old drug dealer. Well now my slip has turned into a full blown relapse (doc, alcohol, and more). This D.D. does not care what I am risking (children, job, housing, everything I've worked for, my life!!). I've rallied support in the NA rooms, was honest with my sponsor and support system. I detox for a week and then I'm back at the D.D. house getting more...and the cycle continues.
    I do believe in putting my recovery first . Should I move again to escape this proximity to temptation? But I have no where else to live. What else could I do to maintain sobriety while I'm here? At any weak moment, I can run down the sidewalk...I'm running on self-will and it sucks. I've been to 6 meetings this week and I hear the message and I was so bad to be clean, but I continue to get high. I'm really scared of the consequences! Please give me advice on what to do. I know recovery is an inside job. But, with the devil downstairs it's just so easy to give in. What can I do to stay away? I'm praying for strength. Thank you for any advice!
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Self Will Sucks... I think your two best options are: 1.) Move. If you're determined enough, you will find somewhere to go. Or, 2.) Report the drug dealer to the authorities. Since #2 might bring complications, I think #1 is your best option. If you can't find the strength to stay away from the drug dealer, you need to move away from him. Your sobriety should be your top priority, for sure.

We're here for you anytime you need us. Feel free to reach out and lean on us when you need to. Just remember: Getting clean and sober requires hard work. If you're willing to commit to that hard work, you can achieve long-term sobriety.
  3. Thank you for your advice!
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

You're welcome. I'm not saying it's the right answer. It's just what I would do if I were in your situation.

Good luck.