New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

If I only smoke 4 cigarettes a day what is the point of quitting?

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by serpes, Apr 15, 2015.

1. serpes

serpes Member

I often hear some of my friends saying: I only smoke 3, 4 or 5 cigarettes a day. I am not a real smoker. What is the point of quitting? I always tell them that if they truly believe they are not true smokers why do they continue buying cigarettes? And I truly believe that even a single cigarette per day can cause serious damage over time. What do you think?
  2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

4 cigarettes is not that bad and it won't cause a lot of problems, but this isn't the issue here. Smoking everyday will slowly make you addicted and you'll start smoking packs daily.
    This happened to me too and it was something I couldn't control.
    henry likes this.
  3. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I am one of them people you talk about! I smoke about 3-5 a day having cut down a few years ago from 20 a day habit. I still like to smoke and I dont want to give up completely. I think if I even tried to give up i'd probably end up starting smoking even more again so for me it works out the best way.

I'm not sure but I think they say you can smoke upto six a day without it impacting too much on your health, of course six is worse than none at all but its certainly better than twenty!
  4. Se7en

Se7en Active Contributor

Sometimes I smoke 5 cigarettes per day, sometimes even none. I'm smoker, but I would be able to live without cigarettes if I had to for any reason. But, I don't have that reason, so why quit? :)
  5. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

My mother used to smoke two cigarettes a day and she was addicted for many years. She had to have those two cigarettes and had great difficulty in quitting, although she did quit eventually. She had always been just a 'social smoker' before that. I have, however, seen UK studies which showed that up to cigarettes per day could be beneficial for your health but any more than that would be damaging.
  6. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

If you smoke then you are a smoker. It's one thing just smoking 3-4 a day but it's important to ensure that stress doesn't lead you to smoke more. On the whole though, it's far more beneficial to just quit completely.
  7. vespid49

vespid49 Active Contributor

If you smoke 1/3 of a cigarette a day you're still damaging your body, albeit in 1/3 the manner that one cigarette though. Truth is, smoking is bad. If you take one drag a day to relax, then you're a smoker, no questions asked. Quitting is the best option if you want to really prolong your life.
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think it's a lot less harmful to do it that way but the ultimate goal should be to be as minimal in use as possible since even just 4 a day amounts to a lot if you consider how much you would still end up smoking cumulatively in a year. Even at that number one would still be smoking a pack every 4 or 5 days and if you calculate further into annual it accounts for a lot of cigarettes smoked.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  9. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

Smoking four cigarettes a day is not really a big deal. It will not cause as much harm as smoking two and three packs in a week. Cigarettes are addictive and it only takes one for people to become hooked on them. Once you become addicted, you will want more of them. Your friends may not be considered a real smoker, because real smokers smoke way more than that. However, they smoke daily so they are considered smokers in some sense because of their nicotine fiend.
  10. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

Totally correct! It's not just the Nicotine, Tar and other toxic substances, but the heat too, that does real damage to your mucosal lining. Your mucous membrane gets severe pounding due to the heat in smoke and you may develop oral cancer as a result. The lungs will be lined up and covered by soot and proper exchange of oxygen and CO2 don't occur. This results in reduced immunity and smoker's bronchitis in due course.

Yes, even a single cigarette can cause lot of damage.
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I find it interesting when people say they're not a "real smoker" when they smoke 3, 4 or 5 cigarettes a day. At what number do they think they graduate from a pretend smoker to a real one?! I think that entire mindset is a dangerous one to have -- you're essentially justifying addictive behavior as okay simply because the volume isn't as large as some other people's. The fact of the matter is if it is something your friends can't go without, they're addicted and real smokers!
  12. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

They are inhaling hundreds of toxins in their lungs. Regardless of how much they smoke a day, it's still bad for you.
  13. henry

henry Community Champion

The point of quitting would be to not smoke more than four cigarettes ever. You might feel comfortable smoking four smokes a day, but that can quickly chanche. One day you'll wake up and find yourself smoking a whole pack. So, the safest route is to quit while you're ahead. Daily cigarette numbers have the tendency to go up, not down.
  14. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

The point of quitting would be to not smoke and ruin your lungs/heart/body. It still does damage to your body, even if it is in smaller portions. The point would be to show yourself that you are not being controlled by a substance and that you are capable of quitting it.
  15. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I am happy to report my SO smokes 5 cigarettes a day now, yes, it seems he is workingo n smoking less and less. I never thought he could ever go down to 5, but he did! Not bad considering he could smoke a whole pack! I actually think that as long as you smoke everyday, no matter if you smoke just a few cigarettes a day; you are still smoking! Am not asking much tough... if he keeps cutting back this I'll be happy.
  16. Tryner

Tryner Member

5 is much better than a pack a day. There are still harmful effects, obviously, but no where near as bad as they would be if you were constantly inhaling nicotine. Everyone knows it's better to not smoke at all, and those who try to justify their choice to smoke with, "it's only a few!" know that they are still not as healthy as they could be.
  17. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I'm surprised to see the amount of people who believe 4 cigarettes a day won't cause a lot of problems, because it certainly will! Even if you smoke 5 cigarettes a day or 1 pack, it's the same thing since you inhale that smoke which blackens your lungs, cells regenerate after 20 minutes and if you repeat it 5 times (assuming you smoke 5 cigs a day) it is still a risk to develop cancer. Do you want to take risks?
  18. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I also used to only smoke 4-5 cigarettes a day, but over time it evolved into a serious addiction and I began smoking a pack or more per day. Even smoking a few cigarettes can turn into a heavy addiction over time. That's how we all start, after all.
  19. brookeemily

brookeemily Active Contributor

Any amount of smoking will cause damage over time. Even if it is spread out. It's dangerous regardless and people who are in denial of that need a wake up call. And even if they only smoke a few a day now, soon it's gonna be 10 a day, 15 a day, a pack a day, etc.
  20. llfsa

llfsa Member

Like everything in life, the key lies in moderation. But tobacco is no pack of Doritos and you should be aware that even with moderation it has a significantly detrimental effect on your health which hopefully you won't get to experience later on in your life. It's definitely one of those things that you should make an effort to remove from your life, BUT progressively.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015