New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is dual diagnosis common?

Discussion in 'Dual-Diagnosis Treatment' started by sunflogun, Apr 22, 2015.

1. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

The words dual diagnosis might sound uncommon, but actually it's something more common than we can imagine. According to the Journal of the American Medical association 37% of alcoholics and 53% of drug addicts have mental illnesses. I do wonder if this is considering when treating addictions?
  2. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I think it should be taken into consideration completely. Most people with addictions I know, they struggle emotionally and they have a lot of stress and they feel like they want rest for their mind and get rid of the stress. I think it's completely related when it comes to dual diagnosis because it's very important to take in consideration what's the cause of the addiction, or why people are addicted to a certain thing.
  3. sunflogun

That's how I see it too, I mean, the physical and the mental part are not separated, so it doesn't make sense to cure the body and leave the mind as it is. We need to address the psychological problems if we want to get totally clean and ready for a new life.
    kylerlittle likes this.
  4. kylerlittle

That's absolutely true. We have to always work on ourselves inside, because from inside is where comes our perception of the world, indeed.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

This doesn't surprise me at all - I think with a lot of mental health issues, drugs or alcohol are used by individuals as a self medication mechanism. Ultimately, you need to get to the root cause of the issue, otherwise I think there's always going to be relapses. Too often though I think band-aid fixes are the way of the world these days, and that causes problems...
  6. kylerlittle

Absolutely, I agree with you and the root cause of the issue might be emotional, mental or even physical sometimes, and it might be the hardest part to actually find. The root cause of the issue, once it's found, if it's dealt with then all other issues will fade.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  7. sunflogun

That's pretty much like any other disease, we need to identify the causes and act on them because if we just act on the symptoms the cause will still be there and sooner or later will make us repeat the same actions.
  8. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

I feel like most addicts/alcoholics got addicted in the first place because of some kind of mental issues... Be it depression, bipolar, low self-esteem, or anything else. If you don't treat the issues, why wouldn't they fall back into old habits.
  9. sunflogun

Actually I don't share your opinion kana. Based on my experience, many try it just because they want to get high, they want to try something new and don't know how dangerous it is.
  10. kana_marie

You aren't wrong, by any means. I dont honestly know the most common reason. I can only guess based on what i know and what ive seen. Just like you said, its an opinion. I bet one thing we can both agree on is numbers don't matter, the individuals do.
    sunflogun likes this.
  11. sunflogun

The fact is that we are all messed up because this society is not made to create healthy people. At the same time I don't trust the medical community as I fear they have economical interests behind. Getting alienated is so easy these days.
    kana_marie likes this.
  12. kana_marie

I have seen doctors do some irresponsible stuff to get paid. I know not all doctors are like this, just to be clear. But when I broke my leg in a car accident, the insurance company wouldn't pay the doctor until I was released. They called me wanting payments, but I told them I couldn't. Broken leg equals no job equals no money. He released me from doctor's care before my leg was completely out of the splint. I still have trouble out of it, 20 years later. But my neurologist that diagnosed me with epilepsy, knew I was broke. He never once charged me. I set up a payment plan after my baby was born, and I was back at work.
  13. sunflogun

You have seen, I have seen, most of us have heard insane stories. Your story is shocking, but how many similar are there? Just recently my mother had issues with her doctor too, he didn't want her health, just her money.
  14. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

The distinction between psychiatric health and physical health, at least where I live, is something that the medical community has been trying to remove. I don't think dual diagnosis is weird because most people have an illness compounded by another at some point in their lives. For example, I am a type one diabetic with neuropathy as a complication. They go hand in hand in my case.
  15. sunflogun

It's impossible to separate body and mind, but I do feel that many therapeutics today focus mostly on profit and on giving medicines and that is totally the wrong approach!
  16. Unfortunately, Dual Diagnosis is extremely common. Symptoms of mental health issues and addiction can overlap, causing a lot of confusion for those afflicted.