New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Is marijuana really a drug?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by KeyserSöze, Sep 23, 2014.

1. KeyserSöze

KeyserSöze Member

I mean, come on. It's just weed. Do people actually get addicted to it? Just curious.
    Joseph likes this.
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Hey Keyser,
    I have a hard time understanding why marijuana is classified as a Schedule I narcotic, but I think we have the potential to abuse just about any substance that alters our mood. Here's a link to more info on Marijuana abuse.
  3. Joseph

Joseph DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

One of my favorite subjects! It's important to note the difference between addictive substances and addictive behaviors. Even if marijuana isn't a physically addictive substance it still has potential for psychological abuse since it is a mood altering substance. Unfortunately many people do become addicted to the behavior of using marijuana, for one reason or another. I would agree with Jen that marijuana's classification as a Schedule 1 narcotic sends an inconsistent message. But even if marijuana is a "safe" substance there are plenty of documented cases of people being treated for their dependency on it, psychological or otherwise.
    Zyni, Daniel Lucky, Jen S. and 2 others like this.
  4. LaLaLaLaLola

LaLaLaLaLola Member

So is it or is it not physically addictive? I feel like people try to say it's physically addictive and not just psychologically.
  5. StephenG

StephenG Member

RecoveryMentor is right about people being addicted to the behavior. I know a few guys who really flip out if they can't smoke.
  6. Cat1987

Cat1987 Member

It definitely alters my mood. To the point where I'm afraid of not having it. I use it as a way to get through life every day I suppose.
  7. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

I would absolutely say that marijuana is addictive, both psychologically and physically for some people. I'm against its use personally, but even I can see the medical and financial positives to making it legal. There have been studies that show heavy marijuana use altering the shape of the brain, and that's a little worrying to me

There are far more dangerous drugs out there, but a person can absolutely take their marijuana use too far and get addicted to it, or at least the effects of it.
    420nosmoke likes this.
  8. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Definitely worries me too, AFKATafcar. Here's one of those studies.
    AFKATafcar likes this.
  9. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

As things stand, I feel the benefits outweigh the known consequences when it comes to moderate recreational use or moderate marijuana use for medical purposes.

I think heavy users are putting themselves at risk for long-term health issues that haven't been fully fleshed out yet, though. In the coming years, I have no doubt we'll get more studies that shine light on this issue like the one you've linked, and it's my opinion that some big risks will be found for long-term, heavy users.
  10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Well, Marijuana isn't bad for you from what I've heard. The problem with it is that it's an addiction and that can cause a lot of problems on your financial status. You have to be really careful with it.
    I think it is a drug but a drug that doesn't harm you.
  11. bocat

bocat Member

Marijuana is not really a drug honestly. It's really a plant/herb that soothes and calms people. I think people just get addicted to feeling calm and stress free more than the actual drug. Its really like a less harmful cigarette that gives you an internal massage.
  12. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

You are correct. Technically, it's not a drug -- it's a plant/herb, but people get addicted to it by the day so that's why it's being restricted. Personally, if you don't need Marijuana for medical reasons, then don't use it altogether since the possibility of getting addicted to it is really high. That's just my opinion.
  13. Fury

Fury Member

Weed addiction is a serious problem. Not a problem that is similar to many drugs that have physical dependencies, but a problem nonetheless. We deserve a place to talk about our experiences and get over our problems.
  14. Parassd

Parassd Active Contributor

I think that the reason many people start doing Marijuana is because of their friends in the first place, I started that way too, and I only smoke when i'm with my friends, I don't really feel the need to do weed everyday, no matter how much my friends force me, if i don't wanna do it, I don't wanna do it. So it's not really an addiction for me
  15. AliciaBritt

AliciaBritt Member

I classify marijuana as a drug, because it alters the mind. For this reason alone, I classify it as a drug. Its not a hardcore drug, but, still a drug. My other half is addicted to it. The main problem that I have with his addiction is the apathy that comes along with it. The other problem is that I've seen him go ballistic a lot quicker on many occasions when he didn't have access to the drug. However, I don't see a problem with it per se, for recreational or medicinal usage.
  16. KeyserSöze

KeyserSöze Member

Sorry Fury - I wasn't trying to make fun of anybody or be a dick. I just don't understand it. IT'S WHY I ASKED.
  17. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Yes, it is a drug. Cannabis contains many psychoactive ingredients and many of these substances are naturally occurring in the brain therefore it is a mind-altering drug. Many people are quick to argue that it's only a plant, it's natural, etc in it's defense - but cocaine and heroin also both grow naturally. It doesn't make them safe and it doesn't mean they are not real drugs. Those two examples are, of course, a lot worse than marijuana. I just wanted to point out that many drugs, including hard drugs, are naturally occurring and not just marijuana alone.
    Zyni and Daniel Lucky like this.
  18. jack21

jack21 Member

I think that so much fuss about marijuana is done because of the known fact that it is often the first step towards drug abuse. It may not be so harmful and addictive itself, but moving on to other substances which provide similar feelings may be the start of bad circumstances..
  19. jack21

jack21 Member

Also, younger people tend to go to weed when looking for such substances. Given its effects combined with young age, lack of experience and lack of responsibility may lead to harmful outcomes.
  20. JorjSimeonov

JorjSimeonov Member

I think addiction is a strong word when talking about marijuana. You can develop a liking to smoking weed, but it's just as strong as liking chocolate (in my experience at least). Weed has also never made me feel bad in the morning like alcohol and I'd much rather get high at parties than get drunk these days.