An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Ketamine a Potential Antidepressant?

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by blur92, Jan 24, 2015.

1. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

http://www.nature.com/news/rave-dru...ression-fast-1.16664?WT.ec_id=NATURE-20150108

I don't know how I feel about this. Hallucinogenic prescriptions are nothing new; Ambien is a notorious example although they have new regulations for it this year. Also, the article states patients display improvement within hours. My concern is that quicker results does not necessary promise better results. In the long run, the drug might have more negative effects like how ecstasy induces depression and over time causes serotonin syndrome. I'm not coming to any sure conclusions about this but simply making some general observations. Obviously, ecstasy and ketamine are not the same thing therefore affect the brain differently. Still, ketamine can also end up causing more harm than good. What are your thoughts?
  2. cmleasure

cmleasure Active Contributor

I hate ketamine. I have never done it, never will, but have seen some devastating effects of it. It is a highly addictive substance, and keeps people in a completely warped un-reality. You cannot walk properly or function much at all, and come across as completely nonsensical to others. I understand that it is a highly psychedelic experience, very different than any other drug, but I am absolutely disgusted by this substance. I have seen too many people wasting their time, money, and lives away on this substance.
  3. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

Ketamine is extremely dangerous and addictive like the above poster says, not to mention its psychedelic properties can turn the person into a bit of a threat to those around him. Much like everything else there will be people who will abuse it and any (if any at all) positive properties it has to offer will hit rock bottom.
  4. cmleasure

cmleasure Active Contributor

Glad there are other knowledgeable people here that support my view. I honestly would love to see the negative stigma attached with ketamine as is attached with crack and heroin. That may seem like a far fetched thing to say, but I have seen too many people up for days on end, completely out of their minds on it, not eating, wasting away. It's really not that much different. I have seen people lie, cheat and steal to get it. A lot of people love it, and will openly suggest people to try it, which really angers me as I hate to see more people get sucked into its hole.
  5. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Are there any positive effects to ketamine though? I mean, I've known users consume this quite often, and whenever they do, they are a danger for everyone that surrounds them, like trevermorgana pointed out well.
    I know that ketamine used to be a horse tranquilizer, and even a small dose put them at rest... I don't know how people can cope with this drug, really.