New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Letting feelings interfere

Discussion in '12-Step Support Groups' started by xjolpzx, Apr 22, 2015.

1. xjolpzx

xjolpzx Member

Hello, my name is Joanna. So I just heard a talk from Pastor Rick Warren @ One place.com. The lesson was a great way to teach us know how we let our emotions rule our lives. We as human beings have many feelings all the time but how we handle them and how we let those feelings interfer is where we can be happy with our lives or slowly destroy them. You see the devil will always try to instill the negative feelings In us. Fear, hopelessness, anxiety, anger; all feelings that are not of God and will destroy us from the inside. We can identify the feeling and deliver it to God and decide to live a happy feeling life regardless of the chaos. Chose to Give God the control of our feelings so we can keep living and moving forward in a positive way and not let the negative emotions stop us in our tracks push us away further from a successful life we deserve. This was Part 1 of the series How to Deal with how you feel. Will update as soon as I finish part two. Thank you for reading and God bless.
    Donnchadh likes this.
  2. Feelings are so misleading. If we let feelings run our lives we are in trouble. You have to be proactive with your thoughts. Your thoughts will lead to how you feel most of the time. Your thoughts should be pure as you can get them.
  3. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

Fear, hopelessness, anxiety and anger. Oh, Joanna your pastor makes things easy for all of us. You summed up all the negative feelings in an articulate manner. Yes, our mind is the culprit. We all need some direction on demystifying our confused thoughts and making things clear for us. I eagerly await part-2 of your series. Thanks
  4. 6up

6up Community Champion

Feelings and being prayerful can help. We have to be thoughtful when dealing with what affects us from our inside. Prayers help us every time we are lonely and fearful. Learning how to pray is simple as the first time motivates you for more prayers.
  5. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

Feelings can be very very deceiving but not at all times, just most of the times they can be completely deceiving especially if you're not emotionally stable. Do not be deceived by your emotions because they differ all the time and we're always up and down and mess up and I would recommend you to try as much as possible remind yourself, these feelings are not true, they're deceitful.
  6. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I'm mostly governed by my feelings and I hate it. I hate how my feelings control me and end up making me say things i shouldn't say or do :( Controlling one's feelings is so important, I think I binge eat for the same reason... as a way to cope with my feelings or control them. I feel a bit power when I eat something and i am feeling sad, like I am actually doing something to fix my depression issues.
  7. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I will have to agree with many of the commentators on here. Our feelings can often deceive us and lead us down the wrong path. Us humans are quite prone to self-delusion and that can have negative consequences as we're trying to deal with challenges in our lives. It's best to get real and see things as they are, not as we want to see them. Accept that we need to take responsibility for our thoughts and actions, and only then will we be able to counter our problems.
  8. PLP Rob

PLP Rob Active Contributor

Respectfully, I don't believe in any god, but that doesn't mean I can't see the value in these precepts. I'd never begrudge a Christian his or her belief. However you reach out and find/achieve that better you, as long as you're not hurting others, is cool by me. Wishing you all the best. :)
  9. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

Sometimes I feel like feelings are no different than a sore muscle - if given a few days they will pass. It can feel incredibly painful at the time, but I have found that things get better if I'm able to wait things out. Easier said than done I know, but it is definitely something to remind yourself of when negative feelings are getting the better of you.
  10. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I don't think I can agree with this. I don't believe in handing over my problems to God and hoping that by some chance, my problem will be magically solved. I'm a firm believer in fixing your own emotional problems, which can include seeking help through therapy, etc. Emotions are something that all of us deal with. They are out of our control. I wish I could just hand over my feelings to God, but that's just not possible.
  11. Angelita

Angelita Member

I think that trying to detach yourself a bit from “the heat of emotions” is imperative. A lot of bad decisions are taken when we are nervous or upset. Sometimes we need to cool down a little before we do the irreversible. And the most important thing is to realize when we are too irritate for taking a right decision and to find the strength in ourselves to wait until our thoughts and ideas are clearer.
  12. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I don't think God will help you unless you are willing to help yourself also. You cannot just expect to rely on God and leave it at that. You also have to take action and then the division of God within you can help you see it through. I should also point out that my belief in God is not in the classic religious sense - yes, I believe in a higher power which we refer to as God. That higher power is universal consciousness (everything is just consciousness/energy/thought). You can connect to it through the superconscious which interconnects all of our subconscious minds together - we ourselves are all individuations of God and therefore the true power of God is within you. Where emotions are concerned, it is possible to learn how to control your emotions and make them work for you. Emotion is energy (E) in movement (motion) and you can choose how you feel. You emotions arre a feedback mechanism directly in tune with God. Feel good and you will get good results. Feel bad and you will get bad results.
  13. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It can be hard to be in control of your feelings. There are some ways to get emotions under control:

- Try to focus on what's happening around you. It's the distraction you need to help you "think straight."
    - Learn meditation.
    - Identify and change unproductive ways of dealing with feelings.
  14. kgord

kgord Community Champion

However we choose to deal with our feelings, God, surrender whatever,,,we need to let go of the things we cant control. We just beat ourselves up over things and we dont need to. There are so many things we can't control and we will not be happy trying to do so. If it helps to give it to God do so, mediate practice calm otherwise just relax....and let go!
  15. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I've always shared to people my own understanding of life: it's a never ending cycle of ups and downs. This is very basic and if we take this fact to heart, the easier it will be to overcome negative emotions. And since we each have a different perception of God, we can reach a common ground by treating Him as the pinnacle of Love. So where God is, there love is also.
  16. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

I hear so much about how we should never live off of our feelings. We should always make decisions based on our sane practical minds. Logical plans for your life is how we can overcome our past not emotional decisions. We will never learn what it is we were supposed to learn from our mistakes and hardships if we react on our emotions.
  17. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Our emotions are one of the most powerful things there is. They are there to guide us, to let us know what is right and what is wrong. It's a way discerning between good and bad. However, without negative emotions there can be no positive emotions - everything has to has it's polar opposite in order to be able to exist.
  18. Donnchadh

Donnchadh Active Contributor

It's good to hear read and talk about feelings I suppose for me i was numb to feelings for year's and to start feeling different emotions is a sure sign that I'm recovering. There's day's I feel good, bad, glad, sad, mad, angry, guilty, tearful, cheerful, but no matter how I feel on any given day I always feel grateful that I'm getting in touch with my feelings and aware of them and learning how to deal with them for me it's all part of the healing process good or bad I love it
    deanokat likes this.