New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My Alcohol Withdraw

Discussion in 'Share Your Detox Experience' started by JonMark, Feb 8, 2015.

1. JonMark

JonMark Active Contributor

I remember when I was working at a bar that I used to drink every day. Drink heavily too, to the point where I fear I might have done some serious damage to myself; where if I have some body pain, I think it might be something terminal.

I want to point out that the first time I experienced some form of withdraw was from cigarettes, back in the late 90's. I stopped smoking for a bit and had the shakes. It was pretty terrible. But this last time, I was gagging a lot, had the sweats, all of that stuff. I can't remember exactly how terrible it might have been but, I do remember that alcohol didn't always help.

I didn't really have a understanding or make a connection with what exactly I was addicted to, to know that I was getting my fix. So in a way, I was ignorant about the addiction and only did it because it was something to do. Eventually though, being broke and forced to go cold turkey, eventually began to solve the problem.
  2. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

Oh wow, sounds like you went through a terrible ordeal! How long had you been smoking though? I ask because you mentioned that you where gagging! I have never known of one to gag a lot as a withdrawal from cigarettes but the shakes are very common! In any case I am glad that you kept to your guns and quit everything all together.
    The bit about being ignorant is very true, I think that's what most of us tend to do... we also underestimate the addiction which further pushes our denial even further!
    pandabear1991 likes this.
  3. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Alcohol has never been a solution to whatever problem that we may have.It only aggravates the problem and makes us sink to deeper misery and financial woes. A lot of alcoholics are ignorant of this fact and they live their lives as if on auto pilot.Am glad you realized your mistakes sooner and you embarked on the path to healing and self acceptance. Thanks for sharing your story.
    pandabear1991 likes this.
  4. pandabear1991

pandabear1991 Active Contributor

I agree with @elles-belles and @jeremy2 . Alcohol never fixes anything. It, like any other drug, is only a means to mask complication. Even cigarettes are nothing but a coping method, but none the less mask what you are experiencing. The worst part about alcohol, it always makes you feel worst about the problem, and some even suicidal (my own Dad).

I am not trying to tell you what to do but I do have a suggestion. If you still work at the bar, I would suggest a lifestyle change until you know you can resist 100% of all temptations. Kinda like a road-block, a means to protect yourself. Out of sight out of mind right? I sincerely hope you are finding ways to deal with your daily life and to stay motivated and high spirited without having to have any kind of dependency.
  5. JonMark

The gagging was actually from the drinking. I remember listening to a interview with a celebrity who was talking about, when they were filming a movie, the person they had cast for a role was gagging and throwing up everywhere because they had delirium tremens from alcoholism.

And then, I was watching some forensic crime shows where a forensics expert had looked at the "crime scene" and determined that the blood that was all over a person's apartment was from how hard they were gagging that they were hemorrhagic and coughed up blood all over the place until they died. From that, I put two and two together and realized that was where I was likely heading.

I think when I was smoking though, I might have been smoking for about a couple of years. I don't recall that I ever really enjoyed it though. I just did it because everyone else was doing it. These days though, I don't like cigarette smoke. There are very very few places where cigarettes smell great or don't bother me, such as in a Bohemian setting. Other than that, nothing else.
  6. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

Oh alright, gagging is very common with alcoholism. It does get worse before it actually becomes better.... the darkness is so real and once you cross to the light as you have done everything becomes very clear!

I suppose that most people who start smoking do it because of pressure from friends or the need to be accepted and that is the worst way to start but also a blessing in disguise. I say this because as soon as you remove yourself from the influences then forgetting to spark up a cigarette becomes very easy.
    JonMark likes this.
  7. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

I'm going to take an approach that may be frowned upon: Stopping abruptly is more dangerous than weening yourself off of alcohol. Many studies have shown this. However, what I'm saying strongly depends on how alcohol dependent you have become. I'm merely basing this on the fact that you assume you are not describing mere hangover side effects & something that is sticking with you daily despite how long you have been not drinking.

Again: Caution. This is an online forum ill informed assumption based on the things you have mentioned. You should consult someone in your life who has a better understanding of where you stand.
    JonMark likes this.
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I once tried to stop smoking cigarettes by going cold turkey and it was horrible, so I imagine alcohol withdrawal would be much more so especially if you drink a lot regularly. I'm happy to hear you made it out of a bad habit and I'm sure it has made you stronger and wiser.
  9. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Looks like being broke isn't always such a bad thing. It certainly got you out of something that might have been a lot worse than having no money for a while. I am really glad you managed to pull yourself together. Many don't just get broke, they end up permanently on the street. Then one thing leads to another, and before they know it, they are into whatever they can find to get high.
    It's good to be back on track.
    JonMark likes this.
  10. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It takes one compelling situation to end several years worth of bad habit. Being broke was a blessing in disguise for you. It was the key to "solving your problem." Well, you know where to go from there: to awesomeness.
  11. JonMark

Well, I don't have that gagging problem currently. It's been a long time since I've had it. So, I'm pretty much good these days. But back then, it was certainly something I was trying to get through and so I'm glad it didn't stick with me. When I first noticed the issue, it totally freaked me out, that's for sure!

Btw, I guess that's what happened with Amy Winehouse, which caused her death. Stopping abruptly, I mean.
  12. serenity

serenity Community Champion

It seems like being broke can work for some people since you didn't feel the need to borrow money or take the money that's supposed to pay for your bills just to buy alcohol. Look like being broke was a blessing in disguise for you. Congratulations on your recovery!
  13. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Alcohol doesn't help much, indeed, but our short-term motivation is fueled by senseless reasons caused by whatever problems, and the majority of these reasons appear as a result of our entourage's habits!
    The same thing goes for cigarettes, but wow, your withdrawal symptoms were truly tormenting, I guess. A while back, I quit cigarettes because I was starting to get tired quite easily, and it wasn't easy at all. Unlike you, I didn't experience those shakes, but I really thought that if I hadn't smoked, I wouldn't have further lived. It took me as long as 8 months to completely quit smoking, 8 months in which I suffered more than any period of my life.
  14. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I was a heavy drinker for over 20 years. I know I did some real damage to my body I can remember times punking up blood now that was scary to me.
  15. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I had the shakes and sweats when I went off of cigarettes, but never had the gagging sensation when not smoking. I did gag a few times while smoking a cigarette shortly before I quit though. I think the sweating and shaking are much more common quitting withdrawal symptoms.
  16. Man, you have been through quite a bit. Everyone has a different experience when it comes to substance abuse. I know I experienced the same thing with cigarettes.
  17. Charli

Charli Community Champion

This has happened for me too, which is why I tend not to get too stressed out whenever I don't have enough money to buy for my bad habits, not only for cigarettes but also for junk food because I think to myself that I at least get to save some money and also save more in future expenses through medical bills.
  18. xSentaru

xSentaru Active Contributor

Going out cold turkey is probably the worst way to give up. I myself drink at the pub too, but I'm actively trying to reduce the amounts I have per day. Yesterday, for example, I've taken out the classic root beer I used to have with a pineapple juice and it was okay. I felt good and I think I'm going to do it again in the near future. :)
  19. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Senior Contributor

You've been through a lot!
  20. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I'm really proud of people who actually have made it and share their awesome experience with others and others can know there is absolutely hope for them out there! I just want to say to all who are reading this, never give up because you will get there just as others have :)
    Donnchadh likes this.