New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My boyfriend's addicted to painkillers

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by aeh06, Nov 6, 2015.

1. aeh06

aeh06 Member

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for responses.
    My boyfriend is addicted to painkillers, mentally and physically. He's been to rehab a few times, was clean for a bit, then relapsed a few times. It wasn't until the last couple weeks that I realize this was a problem bigger than I could ever imagine, and bigger than us. The last week I realized, he could go to several rehabs, AA meetings, meetings with counselors, but none of it will ever work unless he ultimately decides he wants to get better, he can't just go through the motions and expect it to be okay. When he's having that craving and urge to do drugs, it seems like he'll go to any length to get money for the drugs, and unfortunately that involves pawning and stealing personal items, and money as well from his loved ones. I have been told that when a person lies, steals, does drugs, it's the addict doing all of it, not the actual person. He is the person I trust the most, but at the same time trust the least, if that's possible. I guess if someone who has been addicted to painkillers can tell me what's going on in the brain when they get that urge, and what kind of demons are coming out during that time, it'd be great for me to get some perspective of his train of thought when he's in that state.

Thank you.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@aeh06... Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing. I'm sorry to hear of your boyfriend's struggles.

I have never been addicted to painkillers, but I have a son who was addicted to heroin. So I know a little bit about what you're feeling. And you are absolutely correct when you say that your boyfriend has to want to get better. Until that happens, nothing is going to help him.

I just want to add that the most important thing you can do is to take care of yourself. Too often when a loved one is struggling with addiction, we become addicted to their addiction and our lives start to go out of control as well. So we need to practice self-care and try to stay at our best physically and emotionally. YOU are the most important person in your life. Never forget that.

I will keep you and your boyfriend in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully someone who has been addicted to painkillers can weigh in and answer the specific question you asked.

We are here to help and support you any way we can.

Peace and hugs.
  3. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

People whose mental processes have been affected by excessive drug use are in a nutshell unable to think straight. Most of them start having hallucinations - as if in a world only they can see. So the rest of us have no way of actually figuring out what goes on in their heads. One thing's for sure though, substance abuse can damage areas of the brain, thereby affecting one's consciousness and way of thinking.

Your boyfriend can still recover, however, you need to send him to rehab. He also needs to wash out the excessive amount of painkillers in his system. Expert advice and assistance may be in order. Also, ask family members and close friends to help you so that he'll recover soon.
    deanokat likes this.
  4. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

All I can do here is extend a warm welcome to the forum and let you know that we are here for you during this difficult period. I still believe there is hope of recovery for your boyfriend. This subject I am not very knowledgeable but I suspect professional intervention is a must. I have to confess that before coming to the forum I did not realise how dangerous and addictive pain killers can be.

Someone mentioned family members. Are there any you can reach out to? Often these situations require many people getting on board to assist. Doing it on your own can weigh you down and rob you of yourself. Do what you can but remember to take care of you in the process.

Welcome to the forum aeho6. We are happy you have joined us. I promise it's going to make your troubles a lot easier to cope with.
    deanokat likes this.
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your story with us. I am sorry you are going through what you are right now with your boyfriend's addiction. It is difficult to help somebody who isn't ready to help themselves. It is hard to watch a loved one destroying their health and their lives. This is a very supportive group who are here to you and to help the best we can.
    deanokat likes this.
  6. deanokat

@aeh06... Just checking in to see how you're doing.
  7. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

@aeh06 Hello and thank you for the courage of sharing your story in this forum! While your boyfriend is struggling from addiction you are also struggling yourself in terms of emotional pain for him. This is not a good thing to your health.You better take care of yourself first so that you can continue to extend whatever help you can give to your boyfriend. Just be strong and don't lose hope for your boyfriend and time will come he will be enlighten to change his life. Keep on praying for him and it really works and God is always there to listen to our prayers.
    deanokat likes this.
  8. Nathan

Nathan Member

Hi I'm Nathan, I'm addicted to painkillers also(a combination of morphine, oxycodone, tramadol and dhc) and have been heavily addicted for four years, my use has decreased to about half of what I was taking due to me wanted to and my girlfriend helping me, I asked her to hide them from me and control my dose because left in charge of my own tablets I'm to weak to say no when I'm stressed or fancied getting high instead of just taking enough not to withdraw, I've spent silly money on them in times of desperation and have had periods of a few days with none but as much as it hurts and how torturous it was the thought of stealing from the people I care about or anyone for that matter has never entered my head, that I'm afraid is person dependant and is no excuse, if someone has strong enough morals and a big enough heart they won't do that to you.
  9. deanokat

Welcome, @Nathan. It's great that you've cut down your use of painkillers. That's progress in the right direction, my friend! Are you interested in cutting down even more? It would make for a healthier, happier life, for sure.

We're here to help and support you any way we can. I appreciate you coming here and sharing with us.

Peace.