New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My Xanax Detox

Discussion in 'Share Your Detox Experience' started by Askani, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Askani

Askani Active Contributor

I knew I had to stop when I would take more than five pills a day and felt extreme anxiety with none of my triggers present. I have PTSD and anxiety issues so getting a prescription was no problem. My over use made me dependent on the mellow feeling and became a trigger for my anxiety itself when I wasn't able to take a pill. I recognized a dependency when I tried to go a day without a pill and felt literally like I was going insane. I got with my doctor and had him set me up to taper off slowly over a two month period. He also suggested medicinal Marijuana for a long term alternative to Xanax. It worked wonderfully. I had minimal side effects and when I was feeling the effects of detox I would smoke a small amount of Marijuana to offset it and to help with the nausea and anxiety. I do not smoke daily. I didn't swap one bad habit for another. I use less than a gram over a two month period and only smoke when I truly need it. I would advise anyone who wishes to kick their habit whether it is pills or booze to at least try my route before going cold turkey. I know not all treatments are the same, but really this worked for me and saved my life.
    kgord, Christian and Jen S. like this.
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Thanks for sharing this, Askani. Just curious, and don't answer if you're not comfortable - did the anxiety issues come along with the PTSD or did the PTSD worsen your existing anxiety issues? I'm glad to hear you found something that really works for you.
    Joseph likes this.
  3. Askani

The short answer is the PTSD worsened my anxiety issues. I have always had insomnia and some social anxiety, but after certain events in my life I had so much stress thrust upon me and couldn't deal with it anymore. I had panic attacks from the things my ex was putting me thru and telling me. I married one of those unrepairable people thinking it was love and not knowing she was just manipulative and had a crazy family. I have had what I call a year of complete and total hell where I literally lost everything. Still working on digging my way out. During that time I broke. That's the only way i can describe it. I broke and amid the chaos tried to swallow a bowl of pills, spent a week in the psych ward of a hospital, and lost the family I had made and loved. It was after that I began using since I had access and a reason to get the pills. Sorry rambling on, didn't mean to vent there.
  4. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

No, don't be sorry! I asked because I made a lot of terrible decisions in active addiction. One was being in a physically abusive relationship. Anyway, when I finally got clean I experienced what my doctor described as PTSD and of course a lot of anxiety. I'm fine now, years later, but the anxiety was very new to me. I'm glad you're doing better even if things didn't become perfect overnight.
  5. Askani

Nothing is ever perfect and I am still rebuilding my life, but all in all everything that happened to me over the last 5 years has made me a stronger person. I also have a better understanding of how low people can be and how some people just don't care about anyone but themselves. So question, are you remarried?
  6. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Married??? Nope.
  7. Askani

Just was wondering. You seem like a great person. Plus that smile is lovely. Not meaning to sound creepy or anything, just stating the facts as I see them. And perhaps being a little flirty. :D
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  8. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

I am a staff member - so definitely inappropriate - but thank you for the compliments anyway. No creepiness detected! :) I'm here to share my experiences and offer support. I do think it's important for everyone to process their emotions and talk about relationships, though. ESPECIALLY recovering addicts and alcoholics. My sick and twisted idea of "love" was probably an addiction in its own right. You know who I used to be? That girl. The one with no self-esteem. The one with a huge void to fill after the drugs couldn't. The one who flirted with boys in rehab. Today I'm the kind of girl with very irritated AA/NA sponsees LOL because I tell them to find another sponsor if they want to date people in early recovery.
    Christian likes this.
  9. Askani

Lol I understand completely and agree that dating anyone in the midst of recovery is a hugely bad idea. I don't think I can stop the occasional comment on that smile though, but I shall try :D
    Was just making sure I wasn't sounding like a creepo and I would never overstep my bounds in the forum or real life. You sound as if you had a rough time not only with your addiction, but also with those you chose to love. I think we have all been there to some degree at one point or another. I am glad you aren't "that girl" any longer also.
    Joseph and Jen S. like this.
  10. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

[​IMG]
    Askani and Joseph like this.
  11. Joseph

Joseph DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

The more I have learned about "harm reduction" and managing our life's decisions in such a way that avoids harm to oneself or those around us, the more understanding and compassion I have toward people using "safer" drugs to help taper off dangerous substances. As someone who grew up hating anything to do with marijuana (although I didn't seem to have the same aversion to other substances) I never thought I would be using it in my late 30's as a tool for helping me end a serious 20 year addiction to hard alcohol, which was about to finally kill me. A girlfriend of mine at the time had Lupus and was a card carrying medical marijuana patient. She said "try this" and the rest was history. My life immediately transformed from a 2-bottle a night drunk to a health nut with a pantry packed with all natural foods, teas and herbs (and a jar of high quality cannabis from a San Francisco dispensary). I remember after using medical marijuana for the first time feeling confident that I never needed another drink again and just wanted to exercise and enjoy life for the first time ever. It was a multi-year process to quit alcohol completely, and I did go to rehab to deal with the underlying issues of my addictions, but eventually I put the bottle away and haven't had a drink in five years. Although the marijuana helped alleviate the anxiety and didn't wreak a fraction of the havoc on my life that alcohol and other substances had, I still had a desire to be completely sober and had to ultimately do the work to get there. Having an "addictive personality" I could have easily become a marijuana user for the rest of my life, so I had to acknowledge that. I think the key is to get in the frame of mind where recovery/sobriety is an option, and we have a clear enough head to take positive steps to save our health. I'm not condoning marijuana use, and this is where my views differ significantly with many of my friends in recovery, but I can definitely identify with your transition and want to echo your point that there are many paths to good health. I truly believe that awareness is the first step!
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
    Christian and Jen S. like this.
  12. Askani

Very good points Joe. Never trade one addiction for another. This is why I only use marijuana as an anxiety aid and use very little at a time. I have a vape attachment that lets me use a very small amount to help relieve my anxiety and helps me to sleep. I think marijuana will become an effective tool for addicts when all the testing and research is said and done and help with the symptoms of withdrawal greatly.
  13. Joseph

Joseph DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Going from 5 Xanax a day to where you're at now takes a great deal of courage, Askani. At a gram of herb over a two-month period you are not abusing it, that's for sure. It sounds like you've taken a proactive approach to your well being and that's what's most important. That being said, I would just add the disclaimer that like any medication, the choice to use marijuana for medicinal purposes should be made with extreme care and under the supervision of a qualified healthcare professional. Marijuana is still a widely abused substance, and can cause havoc on peoples' lives if they are careless. Just a friendly reminder of the important to be aware of the risks and side effects, like any medication.

Glad you're on a good path!
    Askani likes this.
  14. Askani

Thank you Joe! I plan on staying on the path and not ever getting back into the cycle of abuse I had suffered through before. I didn't like who I was or what i was becoming, but now I can really say I am back in a good place surrounded by friends and family who truly love and support me. It's a great feeling to know you are loved and needed by those around you.
    Joseph and Jen S. like this.
  15. ariana_

ariana_ Member

Wow Askani, thank you for sharing your experience. Congratulations! Your story is truly inspiring.
  16. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Xanax gives you anxiety. It is a side effect of this stuff. Marijuanna will also give you anxiety. This will be the same problem as the xanax. The anxiety is from vitamin deficiencies. Magnesium is one to add in. Anxiety is caused by a lack of the gamma-amino butyric acid in the brain. The brain usually produces this itself. It is the precursor to serotonin. If you increase foods in your diet like turkey and so forth. Foods high in tryptophan. All of these come in supplement forms. PTSD and the anxiety probably comes at a certain time every day. This is more a physiological problem than psychological. Anxiety and being anxious is not really related to the PTSD. Although the majority put the two together. Stress and emotional loss can increase it, but there is still a physiological issue present that can be balanced more easily with diet.
  17. bobbilady52

bobbilady52 Member

18. bobbilady52

bobbilady52 Member

wow I listen about PMSD and using zanax or marijuana and I am on 3 mg of clonazepam and have been for 23 years. Okay I am going to go off it. I feel I will take away a quarter mg a month. So doing a slow tapper will help me not have a grand mall seizure as I hear that could happen. So I did think about getting medical marijuana to help me but than why put another addictive drug in my body. I want to know who I really am wow I will post again when I am free of this med. Thanks all for sharing!!
  19. fagoot1

fagoot1 Member

I only noticed how much my body was dependent on Xanax when I quit cold turkey. I was hit by an anxiety worse than before and was always dizzy. I didn't take any though unless I was really miserable since I really wanted to stop depending on drugs to function.
    Right now, I'm can go on with my day without any but I still get mild panic attacks here and there.
  20. Mzpeaceful1

Mzpeaceful1 Active Contributor

WOW, as I was reading the original post I was blown away at how fast he got off the xanax. I was on xanax for 11 years at 4 mg. a day and a new doctor I started seeing decided he didn't want me taking it so he gave me 30 days to get off and I could not do it. I ended up suicidal and in a mental ward only to be put back on klonopin and sent to a drug stabilization place where they put me on librium for a two week fast taper and sent me home and I started partial seizuring and ended up in the emergency room. I was then put back on librium for 6 weeks and was unsuccessful at tapering once again and found a new doctor who put me on a new taper with klonopin and when I got down to .125 mg. I had a gran mal seizure and nearly died. So, I was put on valium in November of 2014 and I did the Ashton Manuel taper religiously and finished May 3rd 2015. I am still on seizure meds and hope to taper off of them soon but the dangers of benzodiazapines are really scary.