New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

New Non-Addictive Painkillers May Soon Be Available

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by kevinkimers, Nov 13, 2014.

1. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

"With painkiller abuse skyrocketing in recent years, there's good news in the form of a new non-addictive opioid medication looming on the horizon. Currently, there are about a dozen drugs being developed to replace addictive, commonly abused painkillers such as oxycodone, but one particular drug promises to provide pain relief without the high or unpleasant side effects."

Here is a link to the whole article
    Determined2014 likes this.
  2. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

This is interesting and I am wondering if it is truly possible to create painkillers that people will not become addicted to. The article mentioned how when the painkiller OxyContin came out, it wasn't supposed to have the ability to become, but still, people became addicted to it. Will this be the same path for this new painkiller? I hope that non addictive painkillers can become a reality.
  3. kevinkimers

There are natural pain killers, most of them are not addictive (endorphins is one of the exceptions that is addictive). There are also herbs that can reduce pain significantly.

Here is a link to a site that talks about the powerful natural pain killers.
    10 Strong Natural Pain Killers to Use as Alternatives to Drugs
  4. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

Yes. I can agree that there are natural painkillers. I only use herbs. When I have occasional pain or headache, I use skullcap herb and it works almost instantly and it is not addictive. I use chamomile too, which is another herb and it is not addictive. What I was referring to was, I wonder if there will ever be a pharmaceutical drug that is not addictive because I know everyone is not like me and will use natural herbs. Some people will always take the pharmaceutical route. I am a sole advocate for taking a natural path.
  5. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

Does anyone think the abuse and OD's will go down now that Lortabs are rescheduled?
  6. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

That would be really nice, it would help reduce the issue of prescription drugs being abused, I cant wait for them to be fully available.
  7. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

I could remember a wrestler actually overdosing on oxycodone. It was a sad thing too since he was one of the ones who let go by the company. Less addictive meds could help more people become less addictive daily. The amount of side effects in those meds is a killer.
  8. kevinkimers

Pain killers are the top drugs for addiction. It is so addictive that people who are no longer in pain, will physically feel the pain when withdrawing from the pain killer that they started taking it for. It is both mentally and physically addictive.
  9. I really wonder if some manufacturers enjoy the profits they see from the abuse of their product with little or no remorse about the affects it has on society as a whole. It is really a shame how bad this has become nationwide. It should not be an issue that we are dealing with. People are actually using prescription drugs as opposed to the use of illegal substances in growing numbers, and this is because of the narcotic nature of the new prescription meds, IMHO.
  10. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Pain relief; there are many natural pain relievers that can be utilized. First processed foods cause multiple areas of the body to have pain such as the knees and back. You would be surprised what cleaning up your diet can do for you. Magnesium is a great pain reliever or calcium and magnesium combos. Powdered forms are the strongest. Chamomile extract or tea, ginger, turmeric, licorice, basil, boswellia, devil's claw, rosemary, garlic, cayenne, cinnamon, and parsley. Guggel in Ayurvedic medicine is the equivalent to ibuprofen. Aloe vera, saw palmetto, ashwagandha, arnica, gotu kola, slippery elm, nutmeg, and black pepper. These are all anti-inflammatory.
    I've used combinations that work ten times better than a prescription drug. Like severe back pain would be devil's claw, boswellia, and ashwagandha. Ginger tea for arthritis and so on.
  11. Fern

Fern Active Contributor

A non-addictive option for those of us who have to have the stronger pain killers would be nice. I'm currently trying to stay on the side of the angels and NOT abuse the prescriptions but it's very hard. I'm so afraid that I'll be like my mom and slide deeper and deeper into the addiction. I haven't found any natural options that are effective against my current pain level. I used to go for acupuncture but now I'm on anticoagulants and not allowed. Even now, it pulls at me, whispers sweetly. "You had one and that took the edge off but you're allowed to have two. Two would feel really good." That's dangerous. If the extra pill didn't feel good, it wouldn't be so tempting.
  12. ZackeyMane

ZackeyMane Member

That's great that they are developing such a thing. I know a few people in my family that got involved with such painkillers after surgery. I hope that if I ever have to take them, especially the types like this that are not addictive.