New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

NLP To Combat Cannabis & Amphetamine Addiction

Discussion in 'Share Your Detox Experience' started by Sparkster, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

This may probably seem like a bit of a controversial post but I thought it was worth mentioning that I myself, in the past, have successfully used NLP to combat addiction to cannabis and amphetamines.

NLP stands for Neuro Linguistic Programming and simply put is a form of applied psychology that can be used for therapeutic purposes, such as behaviour change, compulsion blowout and overcoming fears and phobias.

It's not easy to master and requires a bit of a learning curve but if you can focus first and foremost on learning NLP, then you can go on to make significant changes in your life. Since then my life has changed so much for the better and I have overcome nearly all of my phobias. Personally, I have found NLP to be more useful (not just for addiction but in general) than any 'official' medical treatment.
    jeremy2 likes this.
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

I don't think it's controversial, Sparkster. Just different. I'm glad it worked for you, though. Isn't that all that really matters? :)
  3. Anonymous

Anonymous Active Contributor

I have tried before NLP but I didn't achieve my goal.
    How did you made it?
    Can you explain us further about with technique did you use to overcome addictions?, because i think that If we teach ourselves to control our desires and our behaviors that would be like cutting the issue from the root, I would really like to see some tips from you.
  4. Sparkster

Yes I suppose it is a bit like cutting the issue from the root. The desires and behaviours that you mention, in NLP, are referred to as "meta programs" - similar to how you install computer programs. Each of these behaviours had an underlying cause, a reason for existing in the first place - for example, peer pressure, and now they have become a habit - the meta program is still running. By learning and using NLP you can 'uninstall' these meta programs in order to change your behaviours (and the desires that your mind throws at you).
    Anonymous likes this.
  5. Anonymous

Anonymous Active Contributor

I didn't know it that way, maybe I should try again with this.
    I had tried in the past to change some behaviors using a NLP that has to be with some kind of eye movement and remembering something in the right moment, but maybe I should look again but deeply into this, thank you.
  6. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

Since this is a psychological treatment, it is likely to be effective only for psychologically addictive drugs. If you have a chemical addiction, where your body is dependent on the substance, this is no likely to work, because just like hunger and thirst, your body will scream for what it believes it needs even if your mind disagrees.
  7. Sparkster

Yes, this is true to a certain extent but especially with harder more dangerous substances but body and mind are part of the same system. The mind controls the body - it's a fact that you cannot affect one part of a system without affecting the rest of that system in some way, so changing your behaviours and learning how to control your emotions it can certainly provide an excellent start in helping you overcome even a physical addiction.
  8. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I think that this is a very valid point. However, I think that this might be a great addition to some of the physical addiction rehab options. Combining the physical and mental is going to result in a more comprehensive treatment, and that can't be bad thing.
  9. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Seriously, the only human that knows how to solve the problems of one's psyche, is the individuals them selves! No amount of external systems or ideas, will ever change a man or woman in their way of thinking and acting. Also, to try, is not the same as to do - big difference, look it up.
  10. Sparkster

Rather ironically, one of the very statements you made in your post ("to try, is not the same as to do") is one of the things that NLP teaches you. NLP can be used as a form of therapy for just about anything you can think of. Not only has it helped me overcome my addictions and many others overcome theirs but it has also helped me greatly in all other areas of my life also.
  11. DK01

DK01 Active Contributor

Sparkster - what sort of phobias have you managed to overcome? I may sound naive but I learn about NLP during an advanced sales and negotiation course, so I don't understand how its transferable like that. Would you mind to give me a cradle to grave example of what you did and how it helped you beat a phobia?
  12. Sparkster

It's likely that they only teach you small parts of NLP which are relevant to sales and negotiation (i.e. generating rapport, representational systems, heightened communication and perhaps some body language). I have been in business training which did the same. They tend to just borrow little tidbits here and there. NLP is very extensive and contains many many different tools and techniques than can either be applied to yourself, or which can be learned and applied to others. It's usually a lot more effective by combining several techniques, rather than using just one. One example of a technique from NLP is the 'swish pattern' which can change the way you emotionally react to a memory or event. Another example used for behavioural change is the 'compulsion blowout'. I have completely changed my life in many ways using NLP - overcome my fear of moths (yes, I had a fear of moths!) and spiders, to communicate more effectively, to overcome social anxiety, to understand other people better, for personal and professional success and so much more.
  13. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I've never heard of this program but it sounds very interesting just going by it's name. The reason why i endorse it is because it focuses on the psychological aspect of the causes of drug addiction as is our case. The mind is a powerful part of our body and if we can be able to control it to our advantage, then more than half of our problems will be solved.
  14. Sparkster

Exactly! It's all about learning how to control our emotions and behaviours. There are many books about NLP, some written by the inventors of NLP themselves. Trance-Formations and Using Your Brain For A Change are two of them. I've also written a few articles at Hubpages about NLP: The Four Pillars Of NLP and Neuro-Linguistic Programming: Primary Representational Systems.
  15. Terry B.

Terry B. Member

Neuro Linguistics Programming (NLP) has a certification. I was certified by the Midwest Institute of NLP. This clinical method of dealing with life issues and making change is not something you just decide to do. One must have extensive training and use the processes to be efficient. It's a very powerful modality and should be administered by professionals.
  16. Sparkster

The problem with NLP certification is that, as far as I am aware, the two people who originally devised it (John Grinder and Richard Bandler) were a linguist and a psychologist. NLP was created, or invented, by just those two people. NLP is based on the study and structure of subjective experience and is currently officially labelled as pseudo-science (even though it's not) - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuro-linguistic_programming.

They certified it themselves, handing out their own certificates. They would then certify people who qualified with them as Master NLP Practitioners to carry out their own NLP training program giving them the right to hand out their own certificates even though, in reality, those certificates were not worth the paper they were printed on. In other words, NLP started out as a pyramid scheme very similar to the Tony Robbins scheme. It's a self-help/self-improvement model which basically compiles a load of already previously known techniques all into one system with hypnosis being a very large part of it.

Most, if not all, of those techniques were already known and utilized well before NLP emerged, much of it dating back to the late 1800's and early 1900's and originating from philosophy. I wholeheartedly disagree that it should only be administered by professionals. NLP ties in more with Quantum Mechanics than it does with psychology - in fact, it's where science and psychology meet.
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
  17. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes this is a good one to use. I've used this a few times. Its actually pretty amazing how it works so well. I've also done it with cursive handwriting. There are exercised that you can do with cursive writing. It is a type of NLP.
    Its all a type of re-wiring of the brain and your mental thoughts. The handwriting is a little different then that. You can actually use it for negative thought patterns. Like lets say a sad song enters your head. Just drown it out with something else or if you are thinking negatively replace it with something positive. Its like if at 8pm every night you think of something you don't want to do like that drug you are attempting to kick or that food that you don't want to eat. Firmly tell yourself no and change the topic. Lol decide ahead of time what you will think of.