New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

OTC codeine products

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by SJE, Jan 27, 2015.

1. SJE

SJE Member

I moved to Britain from the United States a bit over a year ago and have been using OTC codeine products to treat my pain for a long time now (it's legal here), to my own detriment. I've lost my appetite completely and can tell my stomach lining is suffering - the nausea gets pretty bad during the day after I take it, even if I drink a full glass of milk or have a full meal.

Please don't make the same mistake I have if you ever find yourself in the UK or another place where OTC codeine products are legal. Seek help from a doctor for your chronic pain, if you have it. I threw out the last of my Nurofen Plus a few days ago and my daily pain is worse than it has ever been.

Big warm internet hugs for anyone else who might be going through something similar. You can beat this dependency; you are not alone.
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Codeine is a really effective painkiller but it's also bad news. There are so many people in the UK who have become addicted to OTC codeine preparations, such as Solpadol because of the relaxed feeling it induces. Codeine addiction can set in fairly quickly and usually starts with rebound pain - as the codeine leaves the body, you start to feel more pain than usual so you wind up taking more of the stuff. SJE, I'm wishing you every strength with this, please do feel free to talk to us all if you need a hand!
  3. jbbarn

jbbarn Active Contributor

Kudos to you SJE! I hope you're doing well. I had no idea that anything like that was legal in the UK! I wonder what the logic (or lack of it ) is behind that. Anyway it was nice of you to warn people.
  4. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Solpadol is one I haven't seen for a while now. I remember taking that stuff years ago, it used to make blow my head off and make me feel numb! I do know there are still many codeine-based products available in the UK though. I'm not surprised people get addicted to it.