New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Pain Pill Addiction

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by laramartinez, Sep 24, 2015.

1. laramartinez

laramartinez Member

Hello my name is Lara I am a thirty year old mother of 3 girls. At one point in my life I was addicted to any and all pain medicine. It started when I was eighteen years old. I went to the doctor because i was having a horrible pain in my stomach. Come to find out it was gall bladder stones. They started me on IV morphine which took the pain away instantly then sent me home on vicodin for pain. When I took the vicodin I felt like a different person. I felt like a better mother, a better girl friend, I could easily talk to people. I was always the shy type so I loved being able to openly talk to people. I was on vicodin for about 8 years until they finally done surgery and removed my gall bladder. By then I was hooked. I needed them to get out of bed to be with my children. I started buying them from people on the street. I eventually started buying stronger medicine because vicodin wasn't working any longer. I tried any kind of pain medicine as long as I could feel that high. This went on for about 2 years when finally I had nothing. I stole from my husband my family anyone it didn't matter. One day I said I have to change so I got up and went to a Methadone clinic. I have been going to MMT methadone maintenance treatment for over a year now. I can hold a full time job take care of my children pay bills and live in a sense a normal life. My question is... How long is too long to be going to a methadone clinic? When should I start to taper down? Did I do the right thing by going to this clinic? I feel better about my addiction but I want to be free! I am terrified of the withdrawls! Any and all advice accepted thanks!
    ToKenbetrue likes this.
  2. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think going to the clinic was the right thing to do. Once your in recovery you should find things to do to take your mind of the addiction. They say idle hands are the devils workshop. Staying productive and busy should keep you focused on staying away from these drugs. Try working out and eating healthy these things will make you feel better during recovery.
    ToKenbetrue likes this.
  3. laramartinez

laramartinez Member

I know alot of people have different opinons of the clinic so I just wanted to see other peoples views on this subject. I am happy that I can actually hold a job and beable to take care of my children the way they deserve to be taken care of. Thank god for my husbands help everyday or I don't know where I would be. So please people leave your opinons here for me always open for what people have to say. I need to know if there is anyone out there that has been to the clinic that has actually been able to taper down and stay off of drugs. I need some encourgement that this can and will happen with time. I always get scared when i hear people say they have been going to the clinc for more than 5 years some are even more than 15. So I want to make sure I didn't exchange one drug for another drug. I know without methadone i wouldn't be where I am today. I can actually pay bills on time and have extra money to spend on my children for the things the want not just the things they need and that makes me feel better. I guess what I am saying tis this something I will have to live off the rest of my life or can it truly be done?? Help so confused.
    ToKenbetrue likes this.
  4. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

I don't know that there is one single answer to how long is too long.
    I haven't experienced it first hand but my stepdaughter's mother is recovering from opiate/vicodin addiction.
    She only did the MMT for a couple of months, then a long term rehab and she is doing fabulous. I'm incredibly proud of her. She had some nerve pain and a lot of fatigue for a while but feels better than ever now.
  5. Ali16

Ali16 Senior Contributor

I would talk with your doctors about when is the right time to stop methadone treatment. I had a similar pain pill addiction but didn't use methadone to stop. Congrats on realizing you had a problem and getting help!
  6. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Only the doctors or professionals know when you can stop the treatment. You can try asking them about it. Then maybe ask about other alternatives if you do stop the methadone treatment. There are rehabilitation centres available that can help you. Good luck and congrats on your recovery!
    ToKenbetrue likes this.
  7. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

If you're scared of the withdrawal then slowly taper off. Especially since you were on the drugs for so long. It depends on how often you're taking the methadone. I recommend asking a health professional as well. I'm glad you took a huge leap for help and hope the best for you going forward.
    ToKenbetrue likes this.
  8. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

You need to talk to the professionals at the clinic, they're the ones qualified to advise you. They'll be able to advise you on the best course of action to take so be sure to discuss it with them next time you visit.
  9. Mzpeaceful1

Mzpeaceful1 Active Contributor

Hmmm, I'm not sure which is worse, vicodin or methadone. IMHO I would have tapered down off the V rather than get addicted the methadone, but that is just how I feel about it. I have taken both drugs and am terrified of methadone and the ability to get off of it. I don't mean to scare anyone but I just know it is very difficult. Your doctor would be the best person to give you direction in this case.
  10. Mr.B

Mr.B Member

I too had a problem with prescription medication. I have now been on suboxone for about five years and have had a job ever since. I usually wait until I'm done with work to take my medication so I don't depend on it as much. Good luck!
  11. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I have been through the withdrawal of opiates and I can honestly say it was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. It is a struggle getting through the shakes, but it is very much something you just have to push through. If you want to get off of these opiates bad enough, it's going to be much easier than someone who is doing it to make someone else happy. I believe in you!
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also think that going to the doctor will be the right thing to do. You can also try a second doctor for a second opinion to know what is really the best thing to do with your case. Seeking help early is better.
  13. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

First of all I want to commend you on the brave step you took of realizing that you needed help and actually going out and seeking that help.

With that said I agree with the posters that advice that talking to a medical professional about how long is too long or when to stop would be best as they are in the right position to give you advice based on their expertise. Apart from that you could again with the advice of a professional taper off on your own and see how you handle the withdrawal symptoms that come...always looking to your support system for any help you will require of course.

All the very best in your journey and again well done.
    deanokat likes this.
  14. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

@laramartinez How's it going? Have you been able to talk to the people at the clinic or to a medical professional?

Just wanted to see how you're doing!
  15. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I am interested in this topic because I have a friend who has been addicted to pain med for a long time. She just recently started going to the Methadone clinic and I had all of the same questions. To me it is just replacing one drug with another. She is still going through withdrawals though. She is going around now saying that she has a sore neck, trying to get her husband to get her pain med. He won't though. It is sad to see somebody who was so vibrate and able to get out and work to just stay home and be like a zombie all the time. I hope the Methadone helps her but I have heard so many bad things about it. I just don't understand how it works.

I wish you all the best with your methadone treatments and I hope you find the answers you are looking for. In the mean time enjoy life and how much better you are feeling.
  16. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Оpiоid pаinkillеrs prоduсе а shоrt-livеd еuphоriа, but thеy аrе аlsо аddiсtivе.

Lоng-tеrm usе оf pаinkillеrs саn lеаd tо physiсаl dеpеndеnсе. Thе bоdy аdаpts tо thе prеsеnсе оf thе substаnсе аnd if оnе stоps tаking thе drug аbruptly, withdrаwаl symptоms оссur. Оr thе bоdy соuld build up а tоlеrаnсе tо thе drug, mеаning thаt highеr dоsеs hаvе tо bе tаkеn tо асhiеvе thе sаmе еffесts.

Likе аll drugs, pаinkillеrs simply mаsk thе pаin fоr whiсh thеy аrе tаkеn. Thеy dоn’t “сurе” аnything. Sоmеоnе соntinuоusly trying tо dull thе pаin mаy find himsеlf tаking highеr аnd highеr dоsеs—оnly tо disсоvеr thаt hе саnnоt mаkе it thrоugh thе dаy withоut thе drug.
  17. Iconoclast85

Iconoclast85 Member

I had an on-and-off opiate/opioid habit from about 2010 up until about a year ago. This included methadone. Kratom (related to the coffee plant but works on your brain's opioid receptors) is the PERFECT way to deal with withdrawals. My last period of habitual daily use lasted about 18 months until I decided that enough was enough and decided to quit for good - I was anticipating serious withdrawals and had read a bit about the usefulness of Kratom so I decided to give it a try. I was expecting only a lessening of withdrawals but I had no significant withdrawals whatsoever and could function normally. No weakness, no sickness, no depression. Coming off methadone can take up to 3-4 weeks which makes it even more terrible than withdrawing cold turkey from than heroin and oxycontin etc so I'd seriously suggest reading up on Kratom - it truly is amazing.
  18. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I am glad to hear that you chose to get help for your situation. It's so easy to ignore the dangers of prescription drugs. Since they're so easily available, and our medical practitioners are more than happy to recommend them, this gives us a false sense of security.
  19. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

Thank you for sharing your story and letting us know what you have been through. Know that no matter what you have gone through during this addiction, you are now a better mother for your children. Stay strong for your kids and for your family. You can beat this!
  20. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

It's great that you realised that you had a problem and sought to obtain treatment without being forced to do so. You are now on the right path and I urge you to continue in the same light. You are wondering the length of time that you should be attending the methadone clinic. However, I believe that you should seek that information from the professionals in the drug rehabilitation field, because they would be the most qualified persons to advise you on the matter.