New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Percocet

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by amr13, Mar 11, 2016.

1. amr13

amr13 Member

A sibling of mine has or had a major addition to percocet. She lied about taking it during her pregnancy but after the child was born it was found in her and the child's system. Department of Children and Families placed her on a sort of probation in agreement our mother. She was to be randomly drug tested every week, however, they often did not follow through. For a short time, she did seem to be clean and genuinely trying to turn her life around. When I asked about her conscience about taking drugs during her pregnancy, she explained she was not in a state of mind where she was thinking clearly and also if she had stopped, the withdrawal could have harmed baby even more. She also told me the right thing to do would have been to tell the doctor and be weaned off the drugs, but again she was in no right mind. I admit I am slightly skeptical of much of what she says but I am trying to be supportive. It has been nearly a year now and I think she has been back on some sort of substance. She came to visit me a few times and was five hours late from the time she said she was on her way, and showed up with very glossy eyes. I am too afraid to confront her because I don't want her to think that no one is on her side. Our mother is under the impression that she is back on drugs and has requested DCF to come for a random drug test but no one will get back to her. I don't have a lot of experience with addicts and I would like to help her the best way I can. She has two children that also factor into the situation. All suggestions welcome.
  2. OHelloMe

OHelloMe Active Contributor

I am so sorry you are dealing with all of this. You cannot force your daughter to be honest and take responsibility for her actions. You can however, take control of the situation and protect that child. There is no reason her addiction should jeopardize the life of her child. If you have to call child protective services, I would recommend you do so. This baby in danger from the sounds of it.

Do note, I am in no way a medical professional or social worker, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. I only can speak as a peer to peer support.
  3. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Percocet is an addictive pain killer. I think that it's really sad when a child is effected by the parent's drug abuse. All you can do is ask your sibling to get help with this addiction. At the end of the day every person has to make there own choice.
  4. OHelloMe

OHelloMe Active Contributor

@Tsky45 I agree. My boyfriend's father was a crystal meth addict. As a result, even as an adult he has lasting PTSD and emotional distress over it all. You can tell he loves his father very much. His dad is homeless in the city we live in now. He does not know our address because he'd never leave, but a couple of times a week my guy will drive out to where he is at and spend some time with him.

It's weird being friends with the homeless population, but we are. When we visit 'camp', we bring a few gift cards to places like Subway and Mcdonalds for $5 a piece and give them to him.

The worst though is the the poor babies that need to go through withdrawal after birth. Sometimes, it just feels like those kids have no chance whatsoever.
  5. amr13

amr13 Member

Thanks for the responses. She recently agreed to go to outpatient rehab. I told my mother she needed to go to inpatient because she needs a good detoxification. The problem with DCF is they dropped the case against her and my mother has called them several times with no return call. My sister also has a way of getting out of drug test just long enough to pee clean.
  6. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think alot of people inadvertently get hooked on pain killers like Percocet. It is ad because I think alot of this addiction is totally innocent and just starts because the person is trying to get some pain relief. It is really unfortunate that this type of thing happens to people who just want relief.
  7. amr13

amr13 Member

I just spoke with a drug rehabilitation representative and it was comforting to talk to her because she understood exactly what was happening to my sister. The downside is she told me the treatment center she recommended was 33,000 dollars. I asked her about state programs that medicaid pays for and she told me they were not great facilities. I'm not sure if she is trying to sell me or if it is just necessary to pay this much money.
  8. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

One of the saddest thing about these doctor prescribed painkillers is that many people don't know how addictive they are. They can soon find out, which by then the damage may have been done. I hope you all the best in getting through this with your sibling. Let us know how you get on.
    amr13 likes this.
  9. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@amr13... If your sister has health insurance, they may cover a good portion of those costs. Is the drug rehab rep trying to sell you something? Probably. But the fact is that most treatment facilities are very expensive. That said, there are some very good places that are more affordable. A lot of places offer a sliding payment scale based on someone's ability to pay. You can try using the Treatment Services Locator on the SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) website. That might help you find a place. First you put in your zip code, then you use the filters in the search box that pops up on the next page. Here's the link to the website: http://www.samhsa.gov
  10. amr13

amr13 Member

She has medicaid which can differ from regular insurance. I have looked at many rehab centers and a lot of them do take insurance but not medicaid. Only the state funded programs take medicaid. Thanks for the website though! I have looked but most places don't list their prices and I am trying to avoid being on the phone with rehab centers all day. Also, all these places will say how great their program is and I was hoping I come get some insight from someone who has been there or known someone. In the meantime, I will use your website and keep searching.