New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Recreational Adderall

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by kjonesm1, Feb 3, 2015.

1. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

There was a time when I used to take an Adderall a couple nights a week when I was working at a night club in Vegas. It kept me up through my shift and made me feel energetic and social. Now that I am out of the environment and look back, I can see that I was not far from serious dependancy. I see the grip it still has on some of my old co-workers and am thankful it's out of my life. Though for work it was Adderall, at other times I turned to Zanax or pain pills. I would always justify my use by the fact that these drugs are legal. Has anyone else struggled with Adderral for recreational use?
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  2. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

I did. And still do to this day. If it's put in front of me as an option, it's like my kryptonite. Why? Because you said it yourself; it makes you feel energetic and social. Everyone like 'speed' for that reason. I was no different.

However, coming down makes your irritable towards everything and everyone and can give you a massive series of migraines (this of course differs from people to people) but generally, it's the same. My friend also told me he experienced similar side effects.

That's why I've distanced myself from that scene entirely. I know my willpower on some things is not up to snuff.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  3. kjonesm1

For me there were absolutely no side effects to Adderral use other than a sore jaw from grinding my teeth and a little bit of sleeplessness at bedtime. I think not having those adverse effects made it even more dangerous for me. In my mind it just gave me more justification to use.
    Shimus likes this.
  4. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

Initially, Adderall made me talkative, but I cannot say it made me social. This may seem contradictory. However, when I took Adderall I always needed to be getting something done; I didn't have time to be social even though I had a lot to say. I was too overwhelmed by how much work I needed to do. Later, it brought out my social anxiety. Socializing on it was not an option anymore. If I took Adderall on a certain day I knew I was going to be staying home for most of it if not all.
  5. Shimus

Nice to see you didn't suffer from it. But a lot of people suffer from sleeplessness (the speed portion), sour or upset stomachs (from not eating anything/enough to drinking too many carbonated beverages), and then the teeth grinding and jaw hurting. I get the teeth grinding the most, myself.

Aside from that, I've seen people bleed from their mouths (gumlines) from doing it. Weird, I know. I was like Blur, though. I used it because I had so much work backstocked it wasn't able to be handled in the timely fashion I'd like. Pop two 20s, game on man.

Now looking back I just needed help from someone else with all that work. The pills pretty much were my "coworker" because I did the work of two people every night on them.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  6. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

The line between dependency and recreation is easily crossed.
  7. Shimus

Yes it is, Timelord. Recreational users often blur that line without feeling at fault as well. Then when people try to give them an outside opinion looking inwards, they brush it off. That's dependency. People don't know where to draw the line sometimes, too.

Recreational to me means you use them for a little period of time(2-4 days whatever) occasionally off and on for month or so and then they either don't come back around (You've had enough for the month, can't find the drug, no money to buy the drug too, don't feel like doing it) and/or you're "working to find more" or "texting people constantly"(Dependency.) So, recreation really means that - for a party with some friends that won't happen again for ages, or not doing over a set number of something in a month, regardless of your feelings for the drugs.

People who take constantly to bolster physical activity (at work or otherwise) is a fool if they believe that's considered "recreational" - you're taking it way too frequently, and then become addicted to the feeling it makes you have and when you don't have it, you think work drags on or is slow - guess what, that's dependency.
  8. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Recreation and codependency are two lines that are crossed often without realization.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  9. tangiblesalt

tangiblesalt Member

I had insomnia and would use it to avoid feeling tired during the day. It was not at all good for me and I was particularly addicted to it so, thankfully, it was not that hard for me to stop. I never liked it anyways; I have ADD and other than feeling less tired, it seemed to have almost no effect.
  10. kjonesm1

Isn't that the truth?! I think you cross that line in to dependency and before you know it you're sick. You're home, you're family and you're spirit is broken and you look around like 'what the hell happened?' Playing with fire is very dangerous.
  11. Shimus

That's why recreational users are often lumped in with hardcore and long-time users, just because the fact is they do use. There needs to be clearcut procedures for dealing with this. It can burn you very quickly, indeed.
  12. PrideKidd

PrideKidd Active Contributor

I used to use Adderall to help me through my 3rd shift job at a local gas station. It seemed to make me not only want to clean everything but do it again just to make sure it was perfect.

Shimus, I used to get the teeth grinding too, as a result my jaw would hurt for days afterward. I never realized my recreational use turned into a severe addiction to amphetamines. That was a very dark period in my life. People who do use it for "fun" often times find themselves on a downward spiral and do not even realize it
  13. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

It is sad to know that people need some drug or alcoholic substance in order to feel social and able to communicate with others. Energy comes from the foods we eat and you can get a natural high from certain berries and fruits that feel way better than drugs do because you are fresh and awake! It is very easy to become dependant on drugs for a purpose that is other than what the medication is for but in the long run, you might think that you are social and fun whilst on it but if you look back one day and ask the people that you thought you were social with; they will tell you a different story altogether.
  14. Shimus

That's true. But at the same time you didn't live their lives, you didn't feel down like they did. Instead of finding a friend or a natural diet they turned to manmade abuse-able substances. While it sad we (I did this too) need to feel a sense of belonging, or else sometimes it feels like the day drags on, or there's just no reason to do something. This makes you not only crush it out but have a fun time doing it. That's why people get so addicted into the "speed" high. But Adderall is a medicine designed to help people, not to be abused so it's hard to condone the usage like I did and many others. Admitting is the first step; fighting is the second.

Then maybe we could get back to those diets and natural highs.
  15. PrideKidd

I agree with you Shimus, I not only did it to lose the weight, but to find a sense of belonging. It is just too bad that the drug world is one of the only places that does not judge anyone, everyone is welcome. I feel if we had more openminded avenues for people that lost sense of belonging then it would be a step in the right direction. Change ultimately begins and ends with you :)
  16. Shimus

And if we could get addicted to healthier traits that don't include prejudice then I feel we could get along, destroy racial profiling, and generally just hang out. We're not all that different.
  17. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

I didn't live their lives but I have lived a life and lost one. It starts with small things like sleeping tablets or something like Adderal and by the time you know it, you are hooked. It doesn't make you feel good all the time but it is a security blanket. The berries and natural highs are for those who have been through rehab and are ready to begin a new life.
  18. PrideKidd

I have been clean for almost seven years now and Tasha you make a valid point it is like a security blanket. It is a go to when things get rough, before I realized it my recreational use became full time dependency on "speed." I still have a hard time with finding natural highs from food though. (not that I have not tried)
  19. Shimus

I don't believe in natural highs. You can 'feel good' all you want, you can exercise, lead a proper life. But I don't see anything in there altering your mental state for periods of time and then reverting it. I know it's more of a practiced trade then being taken literal; but still. You can derive pleasure from things but pleasure isn't a 'high' it's a feeling.
  20. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I've taken some but never enough to get dependent on it. I mostly was just trying it out and for a few times I was using it to help me with my studies. I warned myself not to get too dependent before taking my first one and it also helps that it's not as readily available here. Plus, it doesn't really do too much in terms of making you feel good anyway so it never stuck that much with me. I agree that it shouldn't be taken more lightly just because it's legal though.