New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Second-hand smoking effects on animals

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by BBarnett22, Apr 9, 2016.

1. BBarnett22

BBarnett22 Member

Hey guys,
    Everyone seems to point out how terrible second hand smoke is on children but it seems like nobody seems to put out there how terrible it is on pets and animals as well.

I just recently witnessed a commercial on MTV the other day that explained some facts on how lethal it is to smoke around your cats and dogs and other animals.
    Has any smokers out there thought about this while smoking? I'm sure if it can effect a kid or even adult so terribly, then imagine what it could do to a cat or dog.
    But on the other hand you never hear about animals dying from second hand smoke related causes either.
    Just something to think about.
    Lacelizabeth likes this.
  2. lonelyfaith

lonelyfaith Member

Yes I saw it first hand and I think it's terrible. My friend had a dog and he let the dog live with his new girlfriend and she smoked all the time. After a while the dog developed breathing problems and started snoring when she slept. She never used to before or had problems. I know it was from all the smoke in that lady's house. Smoke not only affects them and the people around but also pets too. Good point!
  3. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

I've never even considered pets and animals. It seems so obvious, but I haven't considered that dogs and cats would suffer from inhaling second hand smoke. The sad thing is some people won't even stop smoking for the health of there kids and family members, let alone their pets.
  4. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

This is a very interesting thread, I never thought of it but I can't see why it wouldn't be bad for animals. If people suffer from the bad effects of secondhand smoke it's not hard to believe that animals wouldn't.
  5. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I love animals, but I feel more sorry for the children exposed to second hand smoke, specially if a parent it's the one doing that to their child. I can imagine second hand smoke is as harmful for animals as it is for children, but I don't see how it can be worse for a pet. I think second hand smoke is just truly harmful for everyone, that is why I'd never let my husband do that to our kids. I truly hope he can stop smoking, he smokes outside always, but he reeks of cigarette smell.
  6. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

Thanks for the information, friend. I was not aware of the effects of second-hand smoking on animals. It is very weird to know that even animals like dogs and cat suffer from the inhalation. By the way, thanks for precious information. I would take care of my pets.
  7. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I never really thought about that either. I guess if people can inhale second hand smoke animals can too. If someone was concerned about there pets health they shouldn't smoke around them. This is really something most of us don't think about.
  8. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I have always wondered if animals are affected by 2nd hand smoke, and my suspicion was right! It's a no-brainer, really, I can't believe I doubted that pets won't get affected. 2nd hand smoke is harmful to humans, so for sure it would harm pets too! Good thing there is no more smoker in the house where I live now.
  9. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I'm sure second hand smoking affects plants as well. I am particularly concerned about plants and animals in an apartment where smoking of weed or cigarettes is not curbed; the reason is they cannot express themselves but only would wither or develop health issues that could lead to fatality.

As humans, if we want to be irresponsible, we could consider the living things around us and relocate them so that we can only cause harm to ourselves without endangering others.
    MissDee likes this.
  10. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I think it's something that nearly everyone over looks, since pets don't speak they can't really complain about the smoke, but it makes sense that if it's bad for us it must be just as bad for our pets.
  11. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Second hand smoke would definitely have ill effects on our pets. And not just on their health I guess. I remember when I was young, I saw my uncle breathing smoke on his prized cock-fighter. I asked him why he was doing that. He told me that the smoke makes the cock more fierce and aggressive. I don't know if there is any ring of truth to it, but if it is indeed true, then second hand smoke can affect an animal’s temperament as well.
    Samanthak likes this.
  12. MissDee

MissDee Member

I tell my best friend that I have to stay with kill himself by himself.Stop subjecting my poor dog and me to those funky cigarettes.Cartoon network showed the harm it caused to cats then dogs and cats in a commercial.I already have juvenile diabetes and edema.The latter of the two is my fault but not deadly.I don't want brain cancer(you can get brain cancer from second hand smoke and lung cancer)or any deadly effects from him wanting to kill himself through smoking.Cigarettes have gone up $3 in the last year but people still smoke in this city he claimed he'd stop smoking because they are now $10 a pack but he lied.If my dog dies I'm going to sue him for every last dime he has.If I die from this I'm going to come back as a poltergeist and scare him smoke free.
  13. Tomek

Tomek Member

Well, in my opinion we have no right to be so selfish and thoughtless as far as smoking in the presence of ANY other creatures is concerned. If you have made up a decision to start smoking you should not force other people or animals to aspirate the smoke too. It might be ridiculous for some people to raise such a problem ( i mean if we talk about smoking next to animals ) but as a pet-lover i can't agree with such point of view. Unfortunately we often 'discriminate' animals, but it should change. If you want to do yourself harm, please don't punish innocent creatures that are not even aware of what you do.
    deanokat likes this.
  14. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener