New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Share Your Story in Our Addiction Diaries

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Joseph, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Joseph

Joseph DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Want to Share Your Story With Others Who May be Struggling With Addiction?

Your story could help change someone's life. Addiction Diaries is our social media series devoted to those who no longer want to be defined by their addiction. It’s a place to share your deepest and darkest secrets in hopes that through exposing them to the light, they begin to fade away. A diary entry typically starts with how the addiction began, its progression, and then the moment when everything changed. Through telling your story, the stigma and shame that many associate with addiction will become a launching point for recovery.

If you’ve suffered from an addiction, you understand that life isn’t meant to be lived in the shadows of your past mistakes. Your addiction and your story does not define you. In fact, your story could be just what someone else needs to hear; it could be their “a-ha” moment that changes their life forever.

If you or a loved one is interested in sharing your story on DrugAbuse.com's Addiction Diaries please email it (300-400 words of original content) to social@drugabuse.com for a chance to receive a Starbucks or iTunes gift card.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    lele41, corkylynnx, omison and 7 others like this.
  2. jon

jon Active Contributor

I was doing good in life until I decided to start drinking beer to deal with my depression and stress. My reasoning was that, beer was legal, and drugs weren't. This decision led to a negative mindset that altered my behavior in a negative way. Realizing the damaging effects alcohol was having on my life, I decided to stop drinking.
  3. jon

jon Active Contributor

When I was drinking, I did some embarrassing things. I said some things to people that I wouldn't normally say. And the next day, I realized I had said things that I shouldn't have; And I felt really embarrassed. That one of the reasons that I don't drink anymore.
  4. jon

jon Active Contributor

I was arrested for drinking beer at the beach, and thrown into jail for the night. This ended up costing about a thousand dollars. I had to call for help and was very embarrassed.
    aUSMCmom, Shithappens and jw42 like this.
  5. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I see that almost every single time I go to the beach around spring break. Luckily, nothing else happened in your instance.
  6. jon

jon Active Contributor

Once I got a wet reckless ticket after driving my motor cycle and it ended up costing me eight hundred dollars and I had to go to classes for two weeks. It was an embarrassing ordeal.
  7. jon

jon Active Contributor

Started smoking pot at fifteen and then moved onto harder drugs and alcohol. I learned how to deal with my frustrations through escapism by drugs and alcohol, eventually leading to trouble.
  8. jon

jon Active Contributor

I was sitting in my car' drinking a couple beers and saw my cat that had been gone a couple of days. Staggering from the alcohol, I tried to catch him and fell over my bike, hitting the gravel face first. I busted my nose and a had to wear a big bandaid for about a week.
    Makana likes this.
  9. jon

jon Active Contributor

My mom when drinking pulled over and parked in someone's driveway and fell asleep. A man woke her up, his wife, threatening to call the law if she didn't leave.
  10. jon

jon Active Contributor

I know two people who were drinking alcohol at a bar. And met each, other. The man drank 2 fifths a day during that time; and the woman, a pint of vodka a day. They got married, met God, got strait, and have been together for 42 years.
  11. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

Beginning during my early 20's I developed really bad insomnia. I began taking Tylenol Pm. When that lost a lot of its effectiveness I would drink one or two beers with it.
    Later, after my husband left me, the only way I could fall asleep was to pass out drunk. I was, literally, blacking out every night. I lost more friends than I can count. My friends didn't just bail on me because of my drinking, but my horrible behavior as well. This went on for a couple of years, until I met my current husband. He was insistent that I needed to slow down on my drinking. I knew he was right. I was so tired of having to ask him every morning if I did anything horrible of if I owe anyone any apologies. My solution to quitting drinking was to start taking pills. It didn't matter what it was as long as it was in pill form. My favorites, and later my addictions, were benzos and opiates. 3 years ago, after losing almost everyone who was important to me, either by stealing or telling very outlandish lies, I went to get psychological help. They put me on 5 different medicines,(no narcotics or anything addictive). One of these medicines is Remeron. It's an antidepressant that helps you sleep. With my husband's help and encouragement I traded the narcotics for my new, harmless yet helpful, medicines. It was so hard to quit but once I got it out of my system, and had the new pills to keep me balanced and sane, I was ok. I didn't die the first time I was sober. I didn't snap and kill anyone. I finally realized I feel a lot better without the drugs. I have quit doing regretful things that I have to hide or feel guilt over. I have tried, and failed, to mend the broken relationships but at least I know that if they can ever forgive me I am now worthy of it. I am capable of being the kind of person who won't make anyone regret giving me another chance.
  12. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, a lot of bad things have happened to me while drunk and high. I usually don't do drugs if I don't have any booze to go with it. But the thing that really woke me up was the time I got busted and thrown to jail for trying to score some coke in a bad neighborhood while drunk. Just the on my brother's face when he went to get me out was enough for me to sit down and really think if having a good time for a couple of hours was worth all the trouble and embarrassedment.
  13. kana_marie

No wake up call is going to be pleasant; hence, why its a wake up call. But as far as they go yours was pretty mild. I'm really glad it didn't take something a lot worse to make you wanna clean up. Congratulations on waking up, man!
    henry likes this.
  14. henry

henry Community Champion

Thanks, Kana. Yes, I agree it was pretty mild compared to some horror stories out there. I never got even close to scraping the bottom of the barrel. I'm lucky because I don't know where I would've ended up if it wasn't for that experience.
    kana_marie likes this.
  15. kana_marie

I know exactly what you mean. I honestly believe I would be dead or in jail for armed robbery if I hadn't cleaned up. I was getting worse by the day and I was already pretty bad. I ate so much OxyContin once, there at the end, that there is no good reason for me to be alive right now. I passed out hard sitting in my chair in front of the computer. I was out cold for hours!!! What's crazy is that my first thought was, "I can't believe I just slept off all those pills! What a big waste!" Scary stuff...
    henry likes this.
  16. mibi

mibi Member

Hey guys, just joined and I thought I should share my story, I did not start drinking till I started college and I love the feeling I get from drinking. It helps me get away from everything, I don't think I am addicted to drinking but I think I have an issue with trying to run away from my problems by drinking. It helps me forget what I did wrong or all the things I have to do and sometimes things are not pretty and I go out of control depending on how bad of a week I have had.
    Donnchadh likes this.
  17. nm1180

nm1180 Member

Back in 2002, I was drinking a lot with the bar band I was in at the time. Ended up getting a DWI, cost me thousands in lawyer fees, court costs, etc. Fast forward to a year later. I got another DWI. Yes, very stupid and I can't believe I didn't learn from my mistake. I gradually went from about a 12 pack or a little more per night, to hard liquor. I just got tired of drinking beer ALL the time, and figured I could get my fix with some vodka and cranberry juice, or Gatorade or something. So I was drinking mainly cheap vodka and soda/juice/sports drinks, etc. Years later around 2008, I started having this pain in my lower back. It felt like my lower back was burning. It just wouldn't go away, and of course everyone was telling me, oh you probably just pulled something. But I knew deep down it was something more serious. I go to my DR, and sure enough, inflammation of the liver. I did not want to have a liver transplant at 35. Anyway, I've been liquor free now since December 2009.
  18. nm1180

nm1180 Member

I was into oxy pretty bad for awhile too. My main problem was alcohol, but I was addicted to opiates for a long time. You ate them? I would usually crush and snort, this was before they made them almost impossible to do it that way to get high. I would eat hydrocodones, percs, etc, but I never tried just taking one. Someone once told me, you get higher faster when you crush and snort. But when you just eat it, it will last longer. I know what you mean about sleeping through it, and being angry because it was a waste of money. I can only imagine what you paid for those stupid little pills. I was getting a fairly good deal, I think, was paying about 50 cents per MG. Usually got the tan 40's, sometimes the green 80's. Thank goodness I got away from all that crap. What a waste of money!
  19. kana_marie

I was paying 60$ for a green 80. And 15$ for a 20. I s orated Lortabs and perks at first, it wore off so quickly. I was scared, too, because that's what addicts do , lol. So instead of s orating one I would eat 8, lmao. Thank god I wasn't an addict, though!! Haha
  20. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Most of the people that I know who have had addiction issues have generally started around age fifteen and they usually start out with weed and alcohol. I hope your situation has worked out!