New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Should Marijuana be legal?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Brem, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Brem

Brem Member

I know this may be a topic that some may not like, but I figured I'd post it here anyways. I personally think Marijuana should be legalized, but only for medical reasons. I'm sure many of us know that marijuana has been known to help people with cancer, aids and other diseases to eat actual food. I also know it can help with depression, anxiety and even people with epilepsy. With that being said, I'd be happy to see it legalized for medical purposes. As for anyone above the age of 18 or 21, I still think it should stay illegal, or legal only for medical reasons.

What is your opinion on marijuana and it being legalized? Do you want to see it legalized? Or would you rather have it only be accessible for people who need it for medical reasons?

And another question, would this be a problem for the world if it were legalized? Would we end up having more addictions?
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I agree that it should be legalized for medicinal use and in actual fact it has now been legalized in as many as twenty US states and has even been legalized in Uruguay for recreational use. Marijuana is rapidly becoming known as the new wonder drug because it has so many uses and can be so beneficial in so many ways. One woman recently started taking raw cannabis juice to replace forty of her daily medications whereas it has also been used to cure a cancerous tumour in an eight year old baby. Of course, it doesn't only have medicinal uses but can be used for a huge variety of other reasons too and can solve many of the problems on the planet, which is why it was outlawed in the first place as part of a smear campaign.
  3. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

When my mother had cancer she was prescribed some kind of THC prescription. The pills were like round white jelly balls that had to be kept in the refrigerator. They helped with her chemo nausea and gave her an appetite, but she felt "too silly" when she took them LOL :)

Anyway, I agree with legalizing for medicinal purposes but can't really understand why it needs to be smoked.
  4. Sparkster

Jen, the reason most recreational users choose to smoke it rather than consuming it in any other way is simply because it gives them an almost instant hit and the effects (i.e. the high) is much stronger and is more pronounced that way. If I remember correctly, smoking a substance causes a hit within about eight seconds whereas consuming it orally it could take up to an hour and it's possible that you may not even notice the high that you get from it because it creeps up so slowly and gradually.
  5. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Right, I understand that but I'm not sure why the pills are inadequate for medicinal use.
  6. Sparkster

Ah right. I'm not so sure they are inadequate, as consuming it orally has been proven to be beneficial to human health, whereas smoking it causes more damage to the health, rather than having any medicinal benefits except for maybe relieving pain in athritis for example.
  7. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

You may be in pain and on a morphine drip at the hospital but you're discharged with pills or patches. At no point is the doctor like "You know what? Here. Take this syringe. You're in agonizing pain and I can't stand the thought of you suffering any longer than necessary. You should experience the full effects of this drug as quickly as possible." LOL
    I'm not saying I'm against the legalization of medicinal marijuana, but not all of it makes sense to me.
  8. stagsonline

stagsonline Active Contributor

Legalizing marijuana would cause major issues especially among the young people. Even if it's legalized for medical reasons, we all know very well how the systems work. Loop holes in the market and administration systems would simply make it hard to ensure it's use is for medical reasons only. On a global scale, it would lead to extensive addiction among users. People often tend to overuse substances that have been suported for safe use.
  9. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdvice Active Contributor

I honestly do not believe that marijuana should be legalized, as countless cases have arisen whereby persons have had to drop out of school or be relieved from their job, because of their use of this substance.
    Yes, there are medically sound uses for marijuana, and there have been examples of cases in which doctors have successfully prescribed small dosages of marijuana for certain patients, and have been able to treat their conditions.
    However, if the use of marijuana is allowed for purposes other than that prescribed by a medical practitioner, then its use is going to inevitably get out of hand. Those who had previously refrained from using it due to the serious legal implications, would now abandon all caution, and their unpredictable behavior would lead to several problems and endless chaos.
    We seriously need to re-think our desire to legalize marijuana, because it's a troublesome issue.
  10. allswl

allswl Member

I believe that it should be legalized for medicinal purposes only and even then its use should be under a doctor's supervision. The psychotic element in the weed is what bother's me and the likelihood that young people will use and abuse it. It has been shown to seriously affect brain development in young people.
  11. jenbeau90

jenbeau90 Member

I don't think legalizing it would cause many problems. I do think the educational system for drugs in general needs to be strongly revised however. It's not so much what you do as how often and how much you do. I feel like if we stressed moderation instead of abstinence we would have much better results from future generations.
  12. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

Legalizing marijuana is just an issue that should not be overlooked. I just think it is worthless to legalize it people need alternatives that would be more suitable then a drug that just makes you high.
  13. ariana_

ariana_ Member

I believe everyone should have the right to smoke marijuana. People are allowed to smoke cigarettes which are far more harmful than marijuana. The government shouldn't tell us that we shouldn't smoke marijuana, as I believe people are responsible enough to make that decision. It isn't as if marijuana is cripplingly addictive.

It has worked great in Colorado and Washington, and I don't see why it couldn't work in other states
  14. SF13

SF13 Member

In the European countries where it is legal the people seem to be able to hold down jobs and not run around in a Hollywood style 'Refer madness'. Medicinal marijuana has many uses, some of which can't be duplicated without using harsh drugs that can cause severe health issues. Giving little Timmy a taste of THC oil or whatever to cure his spasms and other things is better than a harsh pharmaceutical that gives him diarrhea and night terrors in my opinion.
  15. platwitt

platwitt Member

The thing is that a lot of crime are blamed on substance abuse, officials easily connect the dots and pin points to drug abuse. And Marijuana is in that conversation too. Hit-and-Run? Marijuana on the trunk. Car thief? marijuana on his pocket? assault? yes, marijuana. The thing is those criminals could have taken coke and then went nuts, but marijuana was the one in their car so yeah, blame her. Whatever the medical benefits of marijuana, some crazy bastard is always there to spoil the party.
  16. Allen24

Allen24 Active Contributor

I think it should be legalized. People who want to smoke and get their hands on it do it regardless of the law. If it's legalized there will be some sort of system in place. I agree with ariana. Tobacco and cigarettes are legal even though they can be harmful. I don't see much of a difference when it comes to marijuana. If a person has to quit school or their job, they have an addiction problem. If a person is fired from their job because of an alcohol addiction, it's not the fault of alcohol or the fact that it's available. Many partake in marijuana or alcohol without issue. The problem is with the individual.
  17. SF13

SF13 Member

I agree. Alcohol fueled car accidents have killed far more people in this country than most communicable diseases, yet somehow this substance.. which also impairs judgment, motor skills, and can cause serious internal organ issues over time, is perfectly fine. Someone abusing something, no matter what it is, is abusing it.

Medicinal marijuana is no different in this regard than someone boiling willow bark to make free headache remedies. Someone 'getting stoned' for fun is no more harmful than someone getting drunk for fun. Until, they decide to involve someone else, like in a car accident. Which would still be illegal regardless of the substance.
  18. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Since marijuana is taken as medicines, I believe it is all right to legalize it only in this respect. Yes it is all up to a person whether he will use it or not for a good reason, but some people clearly do not have a sense of control and responsibility. In our country and I'm sure in other countries as well, drug addiction is often the reason for committing heinous crimes. And this happens in an age when illicit drugs are not even legal yet. So making it legal could bring us more harm than good as it is already easily accessible.
  19. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I find it interesting that weed was once illegal to smoke but now in Colorado it's usage is now legal. All of a sudden after the local government can collect taxes off of it, it becomes legal. The state is making so much money that other states are now in talks to have it legal in their states.

It seems to me, that usage is illegal when the local government isn't collecting on the back end.
  20. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I am for it being legalized not only for medical use but for recreational use as well, even just out of principle. I don't believe it is right to live your life from birth to death having other people dictate what you should be allowed to put into your body or what you could plant in your premises. Granted, there are of course limitations, but I don't think the oppositions' argument of it being a substance that can be abused holds much water. Anything can be abused but for some reason they aren't banned because they don't affect the profits of the leaders who put rules in place.