An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Smoking while pregnant

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Shannon thornton, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Hi
    Everyone is telling me to stop smoking and that it's illegal to smoke whilst pregnant...

In my opinion it should be the mum to be choice whether to stop or not I am around 5 weeks pregnant I do smoke but I find it wrong that people do tell you to stop when pregnant as it will harm the baby..

I would like to mention my mother smoked through all 7 pregnancies including my own and we all came out fine I do want to try stopping but I keep getting stressed and getting emotional as haven't had a cig since last night
    Thanks
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Shannon thornton... Welcome to the community.

Despite your mother's history of smoking through all 7 of her pregnancies and having all of her kids come out fine, I'm pretty sure there's a whole lot of research out there that shows that smoking while pregnant is dangerous for the baby. Maybe you feel like it should be your choice. But what about your unborn baby? They don't have a choice. Is it fair to subject him or her to possible health issues?

It's great that you haven't had a cigarette since last night. That's awesome. I hope you're able to stay quit for longer. At least until your baby is born.

FYI, this link may help you: https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/maternalinfanthealth/tobaccousepregnancy/

Sending you positive, smoke-free vibes. And keeping good thoughts for you and your little baby. I wish you nothing but the best going forward.
  3. I am trying stopping gradually I am still using an e cig to help me stop smoking thanks for your feedback tho
    deanokat likes this.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Good for you, Shannon! :)