New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Son addicted to opiates then Heroin

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Chipster, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Chipster

Chipster Member

My son is currently in rehab addicted to opiates and heroin. Has been there 4 months. He wants to come home and get a job. I am not sure this is a good idea?
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Hi Chipster, it might well be a bad idea if your son thinks he can simply leave rehab and just walk into a job. I hate to be the prophet of doom here but even people with an uninterrupted work record and first class references are finding it hard to get work these days, never mind someone who is fresh out of rehab.

So whilst it is important that he makes the transition back to the real world, he needs to think about it carefully and make a plan. What will he do if finding work takes time? What coping strategies will he use when work gets tough (which it always does from time to time - that's just part of life)? Job hunting is disheartening enough and your son needs to have a good think about how this might affect him.
    Chipster likes this.
  3. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

@Chipster: is your son ready for it? what does motivate him this much to get out of rehab and find a job? Can't you financially support him till the end of his program or he's just using this job thing as a pretext to go back to drugs again? I'd say consult this with his doctor and see what they say, but it's really dangerous to get out of rehab before you're ready for it...
    Chipster likes this.
  4. Chipster

Chipster Member

Thanks for your insight. I guess I agree with you. I don't really want him to live with me again. The last year was he'll I think he needs more time
  5. NyX82

NyX82 Member

If he insists he is ready to leave rehab and really wants to get a job then I would suggest he go to a halfway house. He'll still be in an environment that will help him with his addiction and he would be able to get a job. I'm pretty sure most of them help with getting employment. I'd really consider looking into this as the next step of his recovery and not just leaving rehab and coming home.
  6. Chipster

Chipster Member

7. Chipster

Chipster Member

Thank you ! How do I find out about a half way house ?
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It will be really better if he got clean already before going out of a program or a rehab. That way he can have a better start and less likely to fall again into the addiction. Good luck in finding the right place for him.
  9. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

I think it is not yet the right time for him to go out of the rehabilitation program and he should wait until he is fully recovered. It is better that you will ask his doctor first what is the status of his stay in the rehabilitation if he is doing well already or not. You can get the right answer when it comes to your worries for your son. Well I hope that your son will be enlighten to do the right thing for himself.
  10. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Chipster... Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing with us. We're glad you're here.

As the father of a son in long-term recovery from heroin addiction, I can honestly say that I've been in the exact situation you're in right now. In fact, I've been in that situation more than once. The first couple of times, my wife and I allowed our son to leave rehab and come straight home. Unfortunately, the results were not good. By letting him come home, we let him come back to familiar, comfortable surroundings. His desire to keep working at staying clean vanished, and he was back using drugs again in no time.

The last time our son went to rehab, we told him that he could not come back home. Although he wasn't happy to hear that, he realized that we were serious. So after a stay in residential treatment, he moved into a sober living house. He stayed in sober living for more than a year, found a job, and eventually moved into his own place. And now he's more than three years clean from heroin.

I believe that sober living homes are an essential part of getting clean. Going straight home after rehab is just too much of a shock for someone working on recovery. They need structure and community to help them transition back to "normal" society. A good sober living house provides those things.

As far as finding a good sober living house goes, I would suggest reaching out to local Al-Anon or Nar-Anon groups. Go to a meeting in your area and ask them about sober living homes. I'm pretty sure they'll be able to help you.

As parents, it's hard to let go of our children, especially when they are struggling. But sometimes it's the best thing for them.

Know that we are here to help and support you any way we can, my friend. Feel free to reach out whenever you need to. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.