New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Stimulants in “Bath Salts” Produce Effects Similar to MDMA

Discussion in 'Designer Drugs (Synthetic Marijuana, etc.)' started by kevinkimers, Nov 14, 2014.

1. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

Until I read this article in National Institute on Drug Abuse, I did not even know that people were using Bath Salts to get high. This is a very interesting read. Here is a tidbit of the article.

"Mephedrone and methylone, two stimulants commonly found in designer drugs such as “bath salts,” act on the brain much like methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA, Ecstasy). According to recent studies, the two may be addictive, but may not have the same propensity for causing toxicity as MDMA." NIH.

To read more click here ---> Bath Salt
  2. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

Wow! This is news to me. Correct me if I am wrong, as the article did not really say, but are bath salts those little things that you put in bath water to give it a perfume smell? This is really concerning that people are using just about every product they can get their hands on to get a high.
  3. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

Yep, that is the one. I was surprised too when I read this, that is why I posted it. What's worse is it is easy for kids to buy it and easy to hide. Wonder how long until they put age caps on their purchase?
  4. jdroc

jdroc Active Contributor

Well it's not bath salt in that sense. They just call it that to make it seem cool. It's just designer drug, but yeah really nasty stuff. Some of it is still legal however.