New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Subutex - Buprenorphine w/o Naloxone - A Better Choice

Discussion in 'Buprenorphine Treatment' started by princepts, Dec 21, 2014.

1. princepts

princepts Member

I have often wandered why Doctors refuse to prescribe this medication. They give 1,000 reasons why they cannot; even outright lying to the addict. I know, I know the obvious answers: it is prone to abuse, is apt to needle use, doesn't contain the blocker etc. Here's the bottom line: most addicts are a train wreck when they start treatment. They are in dire need to rebuild their lives. They have to re-establish trust and re-kindle relationships destroyed. Financially, they are, in most cases, broke. Subutex makes more sense than Suboxone. It costs around $2.50 per tablet versus Suboxone's $12.00 or more each. I can agree with not giving it at the outset. But if an addict is doing well in recovery; passing drug screens, attending meetings and progressing - why not show them some leniency? Give them a chance to show that they can be trusted. Cheaper is always a feature dought after. It just seems unethical to condone and allow these big drug companies to make a 10,000 % markup and at the same time create even more hardship on people trying to do right and to reshape lives that have been wrecked. Subutex, it just makes more sense - all the way round.
  2. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

I think that doctors need to be very careful about who they prescribe these meds too because they can be addictive and abused - I really don't think that being 'lenient' with a recovering addict is actually in their best interest because when an addict's support team shows lenience -- sometimes their sense of accountability can disappear and cause relapse.
  3. princepts

princepts Member

Good point, but at least an addict would have a chance....to succeed or to relapse if given the Subutex - at only 1/5 of the price as it costs to get Suboxone filled. I know lots of folks that just refuse treatment because they can't afford the cost of Suboxone. "Leniency" is something that could be shown with time. If they have to wait a year, that's fine; with clean drug screens and clear progress. Trust has to be built. But to just dictate who can and cannot get help based on financial status is crazy and unfair.