New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Tramadol Abuse is a Thing?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by HugsNotDrugs, Feb 7, 2015.

1. HugsNotDrugs

HugsNotDrugs Active Contributor

I'm kind of surprised to see tramadol having its own forum on here as a "commonly abused substance". It's something that I get prescribed for migraines and have never felt the urge to abuse.

My main thing is:
    I was under the impression that doing more than a certain amount of tramadol can/will induce seizures. I once showed a girl my prescription that my doctor said more than 8 of a day can cause seizures and she said "people take like 20 of those and trip out". Are these people seriously risking seizures or "tripping" during seizures off this medication? Why would people want to do that? It seems like a much less trippy but more bad-side-effects version of trying to trip off cough syrup.

Is anyone here addicted to tramadol? Do you abuse it and trip and/or get seizures?
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

From what I know, it's an opioid that doesn't have too high of an addiction rate, but you can become psychologically and physically addicted to it. It gives the same feeling as most opioids do in high doses, and kicking the addiction isn't always easy (it never is, obviously). I don't have a personal experience with it, although I'm sure someone can give you a better idea of tramadol abuse.
  3. awesomeaniruddh

awesomeaniruddh Active Contributor

Many doctors recommend it as a pain killer because it is only mildly addictive, but with sustained usage you eventually becomes as bad as any other normal drug.
  4. HugsNotDrugs

From what I can google it's not an opioid. But what I mean is these people should be having seizures, right? Are they having seizures just for a "mild opiod-like" high? Or are the seizures their actual "trip"?
  5. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

I actually did not realize it was a thing either. I mean, I knew it existed. However, I was not under the impression that it was a popular occurrence. The other week was one of the first times I heard of it being prevalent in my area. A friend of mine works at an animal hospital. They had to quit prescribing it to someone's pet because the owner was requesting the medication much earlier than the written due date. Also, I guess she had been picking up the prescription for too long.
  6. HugsNotDrugs

Oh my actual god. I hope that woman at least googled it first to make sure it was a human drug too! I'm just imagining now that a bunch of people probably just pop their dog's pain medications without even doing any research. You never know if its human safe just because your yorkie can take it! It could cause kidney failure or something in humans that it doesn't in dogs.

Wow. People are dumb.
  7. blur92

I am guessing that they assumed it was fine for them to take if they took note of it being a pain medication. Pain medications are commonly abused. If they mentally make that connection then they may reason that taking their pet's medication is okay and safe for human consumption.
  8. goldenmaine

goldenmaine Active Contributor

Same here, I never thought Tramadol could be an abused drug since it is commonly used as an effective pain killer. I worked in a pharmacy before and the customers buying Tramadol in the store use it for common headaches, those in post-surgery and some for joint pains and arthritis. One customer actually consumes a lot per week. He buys 2 blister packs and says it is good for one week for his joint pains. But it seems he isn't aching and doesn't have pains, so I don’t really know what’s going on and now I find out that Tramadol is a commonly abused substance. Oh my.
  9. blur92

I am not trying to be offensive, and I am sorry if you find this bothersome, but don't they teach you which drugs are highly abused? I thought that was common in pharmacy school. I have a sister who will be graduating soon, and she had to learn this.
  10. goldenmaine

goldenmaine Active Contributor

I am only a pharmacy assistant in the store. The pharmacist at that time was not around, but I have knowledge that Tramadol is for common pains but I failed to research more regarding it being a commonly abused substance.
    blur92 likes this.
  11. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

From what I've seen of the drug scene, Tramadol seems to be one of the less abused prescription opiates/opioids. Really, I think all opiate-based painkillers should be lumped into one category on the forum. But yes, Tramadol is an opiod, thus carries an abuse potential. It's not nearly as recreational as, say, heroin or Hydromorphone, but it's recreational nonetheless.
  12. lilfaerie

lilfaerie Member

Tramadol has given me migraines, so I won't take it. I have heard that it can be addictive though. Not nearly as bad as opiates though.
  13. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

Speaking to the feeling that Tramadol causes seizures, it can. However, there is a delicate balance between seizure & high. This really depends on the way you're abusing this drug (snorting primarily) & how many milligrams you're taking. I've seen more seizures occur with people popping pills than I have with users snorting. Perhaps, that's because it takes longer to get the high & people abusing may impatiently take more. Also, those abusing any drug start to develop tolerances & end up increasing dosage which, with this, will inevitably lead to seizing as well.
  14. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

All painkillers, especially those containing opiates are addictive. I think the risk of seizures is something users either don't care or don't know about.
  15. Johnderman

Johnderman Member

Wow... that's awful. People, never take your dog's medication or give a dog your medication!!! Unless it's been approved by your pharmacist, and even then, be careful!! There are plenty of foods and substances that are safe for humans but extremely toxic and poisonous to the nervous and gastric systems of canines! Please do not do that!!
    blur92 likes this.
  16. HugsNotDrugs

Tramadol is not an opioid though. It is not related to medications like heroin or hydromorphone. This is part of the reason I was under the impression that it is less/not addictive and has much less recreational potential.
  17. blur92

I know! I was so surprised to hear about someone doing this. Of course, I doubt they were giving the dog any of the medication although that is what it was initially for. I guess some people are that desperate to get their fix.
  18. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Ah fair enough. It may not be an opioid but it still affects the opioid receptors in the brain the same way other opioids do though, which is what gives it recreational value. It's more or less the same thing in terms of recreational potential.
  19. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

Some people may be prescribed more than, it is needed and this causes the abuse to occur and also they do not think of the consequences that can happen. Painkillers are used for surgeries or, when a person has pain and need it but some may get it by illegal means and have a overdose and get addicted to it. I think that, it is a drug which is addicting and also can ruin your life if you take it in overdose or misuse it.
  20. Issac Asimov

Issac Asimov Member

I've heard Tramadol abuse occurs most frequently by opiate abusers to achieve an extra high. When combined with other opiates, Tramadol is supposed to intensify the effect of other pain killers, thereby making it very addictive.