New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Unfiltered Cigarette Smoking

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by JoshPosh, Mar 1, 2015.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I was wondering if anyone here has actually tried it. My stepmom told me that back when she was in college she use to smoke Marlboro Reds unfiltered. I asked her what that was. She said she use to cut off the filters of the cigarettes and smoke them. I guess they just didn't have the kick she wanted, so she cut of majority of the filter and just left enough so the goods don't fall out.

Has anyone tried smoking this way? I'm guessing it's much harsher that way.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I knew a woman who used to tear off the filters when she smoked. Here's an explanation why some people prefer smoking an unfiltered cigarette.

http://www.ehow.com/about_6501299_filtered-vs_-unfiltered-cigarettes.html
    That's probably what someone who smokes unfiltered cigarettes seek. They think they'll get the dose of nicotine they crave from fewer cigarettes maybe?
  3. JoshPosh

I imagine that without that filter you are getting so much more harmful ingredients in your lungs. The filter is there for a reason. Cigarettes are already bad for you. It's being filter to lighten the blow.
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

From an unfiltered cigarette, obviously you'll get more of everything. But the worst of it all is the tar. The more someone smokes, the tar is deposited in the lungs. It is well-known fact that the tar is increases the odds of getting lung cancer. So I'll have to agree that smoking an unfiltered cigarette is twice as bad for you.
  5. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

I assume it is more harmful to you, but there does seem to be some kind of payoff.
  6. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I used to smoke what is referred to as "rollies". They are simply hand rolled cigarettes. Mine were always very skinny and I never bothered to include a filter. I enjoyed organic tobacco from a friend's farm, without all the toxic additives. Obviously, it didn't make my smoking healthier... but in hindsight, it did in some ways, as cigarette filters contain a lot of nasty things as well, such as glass fibers, bleach and even fungi. So, I stayed away from them.
  7. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I used to smoke rollies too, as they were much cheaper than ready-made cigarettes. I would always put a filter in my roll-ups though, besides reducing the amount of toxins, they also stopped the end getting soggy. I use e-cigarettes these days though.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not know anyone who smoke without filter. But definitely that is more harmful than smoking with filter. All the bad chemicals is being entered to your lungs and the body.
  9. timelord731

As someone who uses an e-cig, what do you think about that new studies about the nasty stuff that they keep finding in e-cig liquid?
  10. JoshPosh

I wouldn't say the ecig are better for you. It's the lesser of two evils. Ecigs are cheaper and not as harmful as regular cigarettes. That doesn't make ecigs any better for your health.
  11. timelord731

How much "better" are they for you? I'm, uh, asking for a friend.
  12. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I have done this in the past, not because I preferred it without the filter but because the cigarette was damaged. It's a lot stronger, that's for sure. I haven't known anyone to do it out of preference. There have been times when I have used a cigarette to make roll-ups to make it last longer. I used to do without filters then a health nurse told me to start using them. They filter out a lot of tar and nicotine.
  13. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I used to roll my own cigarettes. I noticed that I was coughing many times more than usual so I went back to normal cigarettes.
  14. Sparkster

When I used to roll my on cigarettes I worked in a factory where there were a lot of plastic fumes. We therefore had to have a regular lung capacity test. I had only worked there a year but on the first test she said "you're a smoker, aren't you?" I said "Yes." and she asked if I smoked roll-ups. I told her yes and she told me to use filters in them from then on.
  15. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

People who would resort to unfiltered cigarette smoking are simply looking for a more potent kind of high since they feel like they're not getting enough nicotine from smoking filtered sticks. They can smoke at their own peril but they should be ready to pay for the consequences. At least they should think of the environment and the people who'll be affected by this addicting vice.
  16. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I've tried this once or twice but I didn't really like it. I've even purchased some imported cigarettes that didn't have filters and I ended up just ignoring the whole package after one or two sticks. I don't think it's very wise to take out the filter since they are there for a reason, and it's probably a lot more harmful without it.
  17. Sparkster

The filters are absolutely there for a reason and the cigarettes are absolutely more harmful without them. The filters help filter out some of the tar, nicotine and other chemicals contained in cigarettes thereby making them less harmful. They don't completely filter those chemicals out, obviously, but it does make them less damaging to the health. What I find strange is that years ago people would always claim that taylor-made cigarettes are worse for you and for that reason, people would roll their own but without filters. Roll-ups are thinner and shorter and therefore contain less tobacco, but undried and unfiltered it must be more damaging.
  18. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Indeed. We've got some anti-smoking activists telling us that the filters are there to give us the illusion of safety. It's simply not true. The difference between the two is quite noticeable.
  19. BeachyKeen

BeachyKeen Member

I used to smoke rollies, always with a filter, but I had a couple of friends of smoked them without filters. One of them used to just put tobacco down the whole length of the cigarette, the other made his rollies very thin so that they sort of tapered off at one end. Both were pretty disgusting. The filter is definitely there for a reason.
  20. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I took a single unfiltered cigarette in my life, and it was the sole one that I would, too. The taste, scent, and the crushing feel you'd get in the lungs were simply unbearable.
    However, I noticed that if you made your own cigarette, unfiltered of course, it would feel differently than a bought one. I don't know what really is the difference, but... It doesn't really interest me anymore. :)