New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What does Xanax actually do to people?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Kappys, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Kappys

Kappys Member

Xanax is known as a depressant, but the fact that people get addicted to it i'm assuming has little to nothing to do with the fact that its a depressant. Does it manufacture some other feeling?
    ebzo likes this.
  2. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

The fact that it's a depressant has a lot to do with why it's so addictive. Depressant means it slows down your body or brain in some form or another. Eventually your body gets used to that and starts working faster to compensate. When you stop taking the depressant, your body keeps working in overdrive until it realizes it doesn't have to anymore (withdrawal). It's the same thing with stimulants, but reversed.

Despite what teachers have told us about depressants to scare us, depressants don't make you depressed. If they do, it's got nothing to do with the fact that they're depressants. Depressants slow down functions, hence the name.
    ebzo likes this.
  3. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

Xanax does make you pass out if you have a lot like 8 tablets of it and may give you energy to use but it could be used too fast kind of like a energy drink which gives us energy for a time than wears off. It affects your appetite and sex drive as well you may want more or less and get excited a lot and want to do a lot of things at once. Sleepiness may occur so it depends on the person and how the brain takes it in and what areas are affected and in some people it may not seem to do anything to them.
  4. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I used to take a half a Xanax after a rough day with a beer. I would get incredibly relaxed and kind of zone out all the thoughts and stresses of the day. I would literally just sit or lay with a completely blank mind then pass out. I used it recreationally just to relax.
  5. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

For many people, it's mostly a sedative. It calms them down and they get addicted to that feeling of not necessarily caring...or they use it as a sleep aid and then can't sleep without it, etc.

But beyond its intended uses... people also smoke/snort Xanax for a high. They get addicted to that feeling if they're abusing it in that way...
  6. ebzo

ebzo Member

I had no clue what Xanax was until a couple of weeks ago when I travelled to the USA and found that all of the young people my age were doing it. I didnt happen to notice a big reaction on people who took this drug but thos that did use it were quite addicted. Although some people using it would act extremely out of character
  7. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

It just kinda numbs you. The best way I've heard it described the fuzz you see on the TV in between stations.
  8. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

You are right, because , when I lost my dad, I could not take it anymore,I was puit on xanax, and it helped me get by, it killed all my emotions, I did not feel that bad, one can easily get addicted to that feeling.
  9. Katt

Katt Member

My mother started using it while going through divorce. It used to help her calm down, now she takes it to fll asleep. However it sometimes doesn't work and I feel worried for her. Has she become addicted? She takes a pill every evening.
  10. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It sounds like your mother is starting to become tolerant of the drug @Katt . I suppose the million dollar question is, can she go a night without taking a pill? If she can't than yes, she's probably addicted.
  11. PrideKidd

PrideKidd Active Contributor

I am on Klonopin (clonazepam) it is in pretty much the same as xanax in the way it calms you down. I suffer from a severe panic disorder and for myself the Klonopin seems to just keep me stable. I am one of the lucky few who do not get drowsy or weird from it. I only use it sparingly though, as I have said in many posts that too much of anything is never good.
  12. Katt

Katt Member

She has a prescription for it from her doctor so that is why I am confused whether she may be(become) addicted to it. She does not abuse it either so technically it is ok to take a pill every evening as long as her doctor said so. But I am generally worried about substances that change your state of mind. It seems unnatural for someone to take a pill and feel happy/fall asleep/forget about problems. I have tried talking to her about it but she dismissed me instantly.
  13. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

Just because she has a prescription for it doesn't necessarily mean it's okay to take it or that addiction won't happen. Doctors prescribe drugs that are addictive all the time. They prescribe drugs with the intent of people staying on them long-term or knowing that coming off them will have horrible withdrawal effects.

That being said, if she's okay taking them for now and feels the need to take them for a while, that's not necessarily bad. It may help her get through and then she can come off them again.
  14. PrideKidd

PrideKidd Active Contributor

I know without my Klonipin I rarely venture into public. I realize it is a crutch but one I still need for the time being. Extreme anxiety ( not just social anxiety ) is a very nasty debilitating disease to live with. As long as she takes them exactly as directions say then she should be just fine. It is only when one begins to abuse anything that it becomes dangerous.
  15. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I know some people who have tried it before, and they claim it resemebles "speed" a lot, but the only difference to it, is that it gives a more accentuated feeling of speediness, followed by an even more accentuated feeling of tiredness.
    But it really depends on the person, because some don't experience any energy whatsoever, and some don't experience tiredness. But most people don't feel anything special upon consuming it, but it does however give addiction.
  16. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

Those who are saying it's "like speed".... do you happen to know if they are smoking/snorting it? It can definitely create a high when consumed that way. Simply swallowing it in pill form almost always has the opposite effect of energy because it's a sedative.... so it's way more likely to put a person to sleep than wake them up.
  17. It just made me tired. As for the reason that it's addicting, I think it has something to do with the fact that the effects of it come on quickly and don't last super long.
  18. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

Apparently I've been told that if you take it with alcohol it makes you a lot Drunker and makes you have a lot more fun, but then you black out like every single time. I don't see how that's fun...
  19. fagoot1

fagoot1 Member

When I used to take Xanax, I would really relaxed and happy. I don't if it was the Xanax or some of the other drugs I was taking along with it.
    I recommended to other people who have sleep problems and now they can't get off it. They told me that they fall to sleep easily now and I can't tell if they are addicted or that they are just afraid to stop using it and not have a good night's sleep.
  20. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

It wipes away all the depression, anxiety, apprehension, and anger so that all you have left are happy thoughts.