New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

What Would You Do if Legal Substances were Available in Your Area?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by JRyan1909, Aug 15, 2015.

1. JRyan1909

JRyan1909 Member

So I was a pretty heavy pot smoker when I was younger. I live in Colorado, and now that it's legal here, I have to admit I've been tempted at times. It was a problem for me then, and I have no doubt it'd continue to be one at this point in my life. How would you guys deal with something like this in your own lives? Do you live in an area that's beginning to decriminalize substances? Is the criminal aspect of it even the reason you want to quit? Getting busted a couple times really took the energy out of it for me, that and the crippling paranoia, lol. :)
  2. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Well, law enforcement won't be a reason for me to quit, it won't be a problem if you do it smart...
  3. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Marijuana is mostly decriminalized in my area, at least in small amounts or for medicinal purposes. I have no doubt that people trying to stay away from marijuana will find it difficult to do so when the laws actually allow for its usage. I would imagine that many people are turned off by the prospect of being arrested, but I'm sure that many more couldn't care less about that and feel like they'll never get caught. It depends on the jurisdiction and region, really.
  4. cabrannon529

cabrannon529 Member

I wouldn't do much. I'd be happy that the government was finally realizing that the correct solution to the drug epidemic isn't criminalization, but I personally wouldn't go back to using. However, props to you, OP, for not using, despite being tempted.
  5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I don't think I would use it if it was legal in my area. If I had medical reasons then sure, but other then that, no. I don't see the need for it in my body at the moment. I like saving money and not giving it towards something that is a waste. It's not logical at all.
  6. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Consider yourself lucky. In the UK marijuana is still illegal but for the last few years many shops have been selling synthetic marijuana, also known as Spice or K2. This is being sold as a legal high and it's a lot worse and a lot more dangerous than the real stuff! Salvia is also being sold as a legal high in the UK. The legal stuff in the UK is worse than the illegal stuff! Thankfully the UK government have just introduced new legislation to make it illegal to sell anything as a legal high.
  7. JRyan1909

JRyan1909 Member

The pot interacted with my depression really violently. Maybe it was the stuff I was smoking back then, lol, but my paranoia and PTSD would really get out of control. I understand it had many benefits for people, but for a guy like me, who at that point in my life was wrestling my demons in a pretty dramatic way, a mood enhancer like cannabis was the last thing I needed.

So here's another question for you guys: are there any rumblings in your communities about pot decriminalization? I tend to think it'll be legal in most places in the Westernized world within the next fifteen to twenty years or so, but that might just be due to the fact I live in a place everyone's doing smoking it now. ;)
  8. harold

harold Community Champion

I think that the western world is moving very fast in the decriminalization of certain substances. I hope that they can equally enact laws that can guide the efficient use of these substances. No matter how legal these substances become, I cannot come down to using them. If prescription drugs can cause addictions, what more of these substances. The general issue here would be that one stays far away from anything that overshadows his will. I enjoy being clean and able to live and do whatsoever I wish to do without my body constraining me. No matter how legal these substances become, I will still stay far away from them. Marijuana has only been legalized for medical purposes, I do not believe that people should take it.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

This could be a little alarming for me because some people in our area/community would be tempted to try and abuse it. On my part though, I think it wouldn't affect me that much since I have never smoked a pot before and I don't think I would ever consider trying it in the future. Just not really my kind of stuff.
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Legal or not I would not use a substance that I have fought really hard to stop using.

While I understand that for some people the moment a substance which was previously illegal is legalized, they might find it hard to resist the urge to start using the drugs again but if there were other reasons which compelled you to quit then they should keep you from stumbling.

There's much talk about the health benefits of marijuana [which seems to sway opinions in it's favor] but many people seem to forget that the drug also has some nasty effects.
  11. norms options

norms options Active Contributor

I agree that decriminalization of marijuana will continue from one state to the next and will probably be legalized throughout the country before too many more years pass. However, as far as that influencing whether or not I use is really not even about it being legal. Prescription medication is legal and most of them are toxic and lethal, so I would not use legalization as a criteria for my decision to use or not. From the way you describe the effect that pot has on you, I cannot see any rational reason why you would want to use it regardless of whether or not it is legal. I believe we as humans with free will should make our own choices and not allow certain factors to influence our choice.
  12. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

It doesn't matter if it was made legal in my area or not. If I have made up my mind not to go back to using drugs, then I would not. It's normal to be tempted. Every time I'm tempted, I remind myself of the reason for stopping it in the first place.
  13. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

My problem was with alcohol, and it's the most freely available addictive substance going around, I would say. So yeah, it can definitely be tough at times. For the most part I would say I'm past it, and it doesn't bother me. There's sometimes when I have a particularly rough day and it would be so easy to go to the liquor store and get a bottle of something. It's a willpower thing, and I can completely understand how that would be a nightmare for those who are just recently on the recovery road.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I also used to smoke weed, but stopped a few years ago. The fact it might be legal by this time next year won't entice me to start using again to be honest.

In time I can see it being just the same as tobacco and alcohol, and just because they're legal doesn't necessarily mean more people use then in my opinion.
  15. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I have only smoked marihuana a couple of times, but I don't think that if it would be legal here I would consume it, marihuana or any type of drugs. I'm practically scared to them, when I am a really paranoid boy when I'm sober, and as you've said marihuana increase that for me too. So if it were legal I wouldn't consume it either.
  16. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I would personally stay away. I don't want to even risk getting messed up from some substance, regardless if it is legal or not. I understand medical does not really mess you up, but still.