New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why is crack said to be worse than cocaine?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by blastguardgear, May 10, 2015.

1. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

I know that crack is just baking soda and water added to cocaine. What I'm wondering is how the two affect your body differently and why is crack considered so much worse than cocaine? No, i have no intentions of using either, just curious.
  2. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

They're the same thing, but cocaine is purer. Rich people use cocaine and poor people use crack. So for crack, the cocaine base is boiled and the "rock" is taken out, cut up and sold. Crack is worse because it is smoked so it hits the system in less than 10 seconds.
    lynzyh28 likes this.
  3. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Crack is not just baking soda and water added to cocaine. Either baking soda or ammonia is mixed with the cocaine and some water and then heated up. By doing this, the hydrochloride is removed from the cocaine which leaves crack which is then left to crystallize.

Instead of having standard powdered cocaine (hydrochloride) you now have freebase cocaine which is much purer and can be smoked, although a much smaller quantity because much of the cocaine is burned away in the process, along with any extra chemicals it was mixed with. This is the reason crack cocaine is so much more expensive than standard cocaine, not cheaper. It's just that it's so expensive that it has to be sold in smaller quantities (which is why some people think it's cheaper - it's not).

I have used both and can tell you that the high you get from crack is about 100 times more powerful as the high you get from normal cocaine. It's also immediately physically addictive and the first hit will leave you craving more. Crack is also 100 times more dangerous than cocaine, just as it is 100 times more addictive and yes, there are physical withdrawal symptoms which can be unbearable. Standard cocaine is nothing compared to crack. Crack is just as dangerous and damaging, if not more, than heroin and meth.
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
    lynzyh28 and pwarbi like this.
  4. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I don't know if I'd say they affect your body differently (other than inhaling smoke in the case of crack), but smoking a substance has it absorb quicker into your body than snorting it; making it more mentally addictive. Think of cigarettes compared to nicotine patches; cigarettes being crack and nicotine patches being standard cocaine.
    lynzyh28 likes this.
  5. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

I don't agree, the fastest way you get high off something it would be under the tongue and after that snorting it, because it goes directly to the brain and then into the heart. Yes by smoking it, through lungs it gets easy on the blood, but I believe that it gets harder to the brain.
  6. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

The reason why crack is worse than regular cocaine is that it is more psychologically addicting. As a result, the user may end up using it heavily. Crack is highly associated with violence and unfavorable behavior in general due to its intense psychoactive effects.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

That pretty much sums up the reasons in one.

While I have never used crack, I have done cocaine but found it not to be physically addictive, only psychological. With crack it affects the whole of you and can consume your life.
    lynzyh28 likes this.
  8. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

The comments in this sub forum make me cringe. How could someone use this hellish substance full knowing the aftermath?
  9. Sparkster

No offense but you're wrong. It's a scientific fact that smoking a substance is by far the quickest way for it to hit the brain. When smoking a substance, whether it be tobacco, crack or meth, the brain receives a hit within approximately eight seconds. Smoking a substance causes a much faster acting and much more intense high than consuming it in any other way. Meth, for example, can take approximately 20 minutes to kick in when consumed orally whereas it causes an almost instant high if you smoke it.
    lynzyh28 likes this.
  10. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

No, snorting something doesn't have it go directly to the brain as the drug has to enter the bloodstream first. Smoking something generally has it cross the BBB (blood brain barrier) within seconds at most. Snorting has it take up to several minutes to reach peak toxicity levels. That's why when a smoker has a smoke they feel good; they actually have the drug delivered as they are smoking it. That's what the science says. And that's what makes crack so intense and short acting. As opposed to a somewhat longer experience (powder cocaine), crack has the blood cocaine levels rise and fall over an extremely short period of time.
  11. henry

henry Community Champion

I'can't say much about crack, because I only tried it a couple of times, and I didn't even know what it was, because it was mixed in a joint. I thought it was coke, not crack. I was drunk, so it hit me like a ton of bricks. I remember I couldn't even talk, but was aware that people were talking to me. It felt good, but I didn't like it. Felt way out of control.
  12. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Not only psychologically, but also physically. People in my entourage reported a lot of physical pain if they didn't further consume crack, even if it was their first attempt of doing it.

I also agree that crack makes you more violent, but I honestly don't know why since I heard it was a lesser form of cocaine. I guess the compound within it is a lot different and mentally-nocive.
  13. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It induces all sorts of hallucination, causing one to exhibit violent actions. Let me give you an example. One man was imprisoned for killing his aged mother. According to him, the last time he was with his mother, he saw a monstrous figure. What he saw was the result of his crack addiction.
  14. lynzyh28

lynzyh28 Active Contributor

Crack is baking soda and cocaine cooked in water. The difference is in the way it's ingested. Smoking crack allows it into your system quicker, it hits your brain faster and causes a more euphoric high faster.
  15. Sparkster

We've already been over this once. Crack is not just baking soda and cocaine cooked in water. The baking soda (or ammonia) is used to wash the cocaine back to purify it and remove the hydrochloride, thereby washing away any extra crap and leaving nothing but pure cocaine. It's then left to crystallize into a solid rock. You now have crack-cocaine instead of cocaine hydrochloride, meaning they are two different substances. The difference is not in the way it is consumed, the difference is in what drug you are consuming. The only way of consuming crack is by smoking it.
    It can make you more violent not because of the high from the drug but because when it starts wearing off, you find yourself constantly craving more and it makes you nervous and anxious. The longer it goes on, the more it irritates you and you become unable to relax, you have too much energy and you can't seem to control your thoughts and find yourself thinking all sorts of crazy things. You may find yourself becoming delusional and/or hallucinating. Eventually, the physical pain kicks in and doesn't go away until you get more crack, which then just leads you further down the path of extreme physical addiction.
    lynzyh28 likes this.
  16. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I did not know that. Chemistry, what rocket scientist came up with that combo. Hmmm lets put a little arm and hammer in there and swirl it around with water. Interesting that this is all it is. I think it is worse because it makes you act crazier. Maybe there is a better absorption factor with the baking soda in it. It makes an alkaline state in the body.
  17. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

I believe crack is cheaper and more addictive because it's less refined, and has cheaper ingredients. You know what you're actually using less with crack. Also, smoking it rather than snorting coke with wreck your teeth.
  18. Aescopri

Aescopri Active Contributor

Wow! I never knew that. Where did your get your information from? I'd like to do my own little bit of researching myself c:
  19. Sparkster

Uh, we've been over this twice in this thread already. This is incorrect. It's more expensive and more addictive because it's more refined. How would it being less refined make it more addictive?? It's also more expensive than powdered cocaine and is therefore sold in smaller quantities which is why some people think it is cheaper. It isn't. Crack is twice the price of cocaine.
  20. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I agree with you. I have not tried any form of cocaine or crack, but I grew up and watched the effects of how fast it hits the brain. I watched my parents and their friends do both. I vividly remember then talking about it and watching them snort and smoke it.

I do recall a few of them preferring crack and smoking anything in general because it hits the brains faster and I am talking about seconds. Less then 10 seconds. That's how fast it was. I would watch on adult take the first hit of the pipe, and as soon as they lean back a bit and start to relax, you would see them start to get euphoric within seconds. The initial effects is almost on par with Meth.