New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Why isn't prescription drug use taken as seriously?

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by k9cb, Jul 13, 2015.

1. k9cb

k9cb Active Contributor

I've known and heard of many people in my area who abuse prescription medications, mainly opiates (more recently especially). While there is often an enormous stigma associated with illicit opiates and even less severe addictive substances, it seems like prescription drug abuse is the elephant in the room.

It's also very often leads to harder (or perhaps simply less legal) addiction, when supplies are short or prescriptions are cut off. On the other hand, it seems all too easy for certain people to acquire prescriptions to support their addictions. This seems to allow for "legitimized" addictions, for lack of a better term, with doctor support, which facilitate denial in addicts.

Why does this type of addiction so often fly under the radar? How are doctors so easily fooled or swayed to enable this type of addiction?

Why does there seem to exist a hierarchy of drug abuse/addicts in which very potent prescription drugs evade the same judgments cast on other substances and users?
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

It's all about money. It's in the best interests of the pharmaceutical companies for doctors to keep prescibing these drugs. Many docs will be on bonuses related to the drugs they prescribe and the governments won't do a thing about it because of the revenue they generate.
  3. k9cb

k9cb Active Contributor

I suppose you're right about the money. After all, many prescription medications are nearly identical to their street equivalents. I've heard somewhere before that more people overdose on prescription medication than illegal drugs. I suppose that has something to do with the prevalence of its use, the fact that people assume they are safe, and the fact that no one really seems to want to crack down on its abuse.
  4. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

MONEY, money, money. The whole system makes so much money and it adds to population control. This is why it falls under the radar. People are way easier to manipulate under the influence of something so their judgement is impaired. Chaos and mayhem breeds control of the nation. Doctors, some are glazed over with their brainwashing from medical school. Money, money, money. Most doctors make an extra $50-60,000 a year off of the prescriptions that they write. The drug companies hawk the medical schools to grab up the new doctors while dishing out cash to those schools.
    Control and cash that's all it boils down to. There is a majority that are so brainwashed in the pharmaceutical and medical industry that they actually believe that they are helping people with these addictive poisons. It's like a cult. Come get your vaccination and take this for that. Eat this so you get that and so you need this. All to do a soft kill and make money. Open the eyes and ears to know the truth.
  5. k9cb

k9cb Active Contributor

@Adrianna. I'm not that familiar with how doctor's get money from writing prescriptions. That is, I know they get co-pays and payments for having visits with patients and writing prescriptions, but does this account for the 50-60k you are talking about?

I also know that drug companies will send salespeople and marketers to come to doctor's offices, but I'm not that familiar with what they do or how that works.

I don't think I'm quite as critical of the pharmaceutical industry as you are, as I think many prescriptions, even those that have the potential for abuse, have very important roles in medicine when used properly.
  6. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

I think it is getting taken more seriously. Last year they increased the restrictions on drugs such as Vicodin. You used to be able to get a refill just called into the pharmacy if you already had a prescription from a doctor - now you have to get an actual paper prescription for a refill. The point of this was to try and make doctors think twice about even prescribing it because the FDA feels its overused and that is leading to addictions. I believe it just started in November so it's too early to see if the change has made an impact.
  7. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

It's because the media cloud the perception of the masses. Just look at all the TV commercials that are being broadcast around lunch time. There are advertisements for drugs that you can take for indigestion, reflux, stomach upsets, headaches, and so on. All is presented in a pseudo-holistic way with smiling faces, children, and baby animals.
    In the evening, around dinner time, you get bombarded with commercials about painkillers, sleeping aids, and so forth. Is it a surprise that a vast majority of people believe that it's completely natural to consume drugs as soon as something feels wrong?
  8. k9cb

k9cb Active Contributor

I realize it's too early to tell, but do you think this will have an impact on illicit prescription medication use? Sure, people actually have to go to the doctor to get a prescription now, but this doesn't really seem like it addresses crooked doctors or doctors that are simply too prescription happy. It already seems like it would be really difficult to steal from a pharmacy, so I think these other sources are where it often comes from. That or people are prescribed a drug and sell what they don't need or don't use.

Personally, it sounds like this will fall flat.
  9. k9cb

k9cb Active Contributor

I find prescription drug commercials interesting in a very morbid way. You are always shown smiling people doing fun things, while a calming voice rattles off dozens of side-effects of this new drug. Do prescription drugs really need to be advertized? I never understood the purpose of that. If people need them, they will be prescribed them. What, then, is the value of persuading people that they need these drugs?

I also think the names of new drugs are interesting in a similar way. Take something like Lunesta. It sounds like a very pleasing portmanteau of lunar and rest, with an A at the end to give it a pleasant foreign ring. A lot of thought are put into these names to give people a certain feeling when they are mentioned. Kind of weird that effort is necessary for something that should be prescribed only to people who need it.
  10. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I am aware of prescription drugs being abused and I always wonder why it Flys under the radar. I'm not sure how often it occurs because I also hear stories of people stretching their prescription drugs because of how expensive it can get. I agree that some doctors are brainwashed from medical school and are literally killing their patients with kindness, they just want to help ease the pain/illness because they are not Gods, they can't find a cure for ever thing. I'm also aware that doctors get certain bonuses so money is involed as well.
    k9cb likes this.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think in here, there are less cases of prescription drugs addiction as I seldom to almost not hearing news about it. That could be the reason why less moves or programs are being done about it here compared to the illegal drugs addiction which is a really serious problem here.
  12. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I think that people really just don't understand the dangers of it. I also think that they assume just because it was given out by a doctor, it won't do any harm to them.
    k9cb likes this.
  13. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

Kind of like those commercials where it shows a happy family while the narrator in the background talks about all the negative side effects of the drug. I don't know whether or not to call this deceptive marketing because even as they inform you of the effects it's done in a way to not scare you from asking your doctor to give you a prescription for it. I believe most if not all prescription come with little folds of paper that gives useful info on what you can and can't do while taking the drug. You know you are putting drugs in your system so you should arm yourself with info, even if it is prescription.
  14. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

In my area it is taken just as seriously as other drugs. Which is good because it's serous business, it's just as dangerous as other drugs.
    There are even commercials on TV now warning of the dangers as well as asking parents to make sure they don't make it easy for others to get their hands on their prescriptions.
    k9cb likes this.
  15. k9cb

k9cb Active Contributor

I'm glad some areas are drawing attention to it. Where I live, there is a growing opiate problem that people generally associate with heroin. The reality is, it's much broader than that, as many people got started with prescription pills.

Do you think the TV ads are beneficial or will be in terms of reducing people's attitudes toward prescription drugs? Do you think they will reduce the number of addicts?
  16. Matthodge1

Exactly. Me and my brother always have wanted to make a fake commercial where the negative side effects of the drug are longer than the positive things, even though most commercials already have that. A few drugs come with warnings, and if they don't, the doctors give you warnings, but they don't tell you about how destructive/addicting these pills can be.
    k9cb likes this.
  17. Matthodge1

My father was prescribed painkillers, but he asked his doctor if there were other alternatives to them once he felt himself start to feel reliant on them. The doctor was shocked, but gave him different medicine. If you feel like you're in that situation, just ask your doctor for alternatives.
    k9cb likes this.
  18. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

That's the tough question isn't it? I think information is part of the fight, and these things go to help it.
    k9cb likes this.
  19. BrandonA

BrandonA Active Contributor

I've worked on a reservation where it's a huge problem. It's low population and remote, so the law enforcement has fewer people to monitor and an easier time tracing back the suppliers...so the harder drugs are a little riskier. So people turn to prescription drugs a little more often there. An older matriarch I know was telling me that she's on her third front door right now. She has to keep replacing it because thugs keep breaking it down trying to get at her husband's pain meds.
    k9cb likes this.
  20. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

I think that when it is something that you can get so easily from your GP, it is bound not to be taken quite as seriously, but I don't think that it is very fair that this is the case. I know of a lot of people who have suffered this type of addiction in the past, and it has been just as bad as those who I have known to suffer with other types. All addiction is a problem, and people really do need to be helped in order to overcome their issues.