New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Worried...

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by Renae38, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Renae38

Renae38 Member

Hello everyone,

I'm glad I found this forum as I am not comfortable talking to family and friends about it. I am currently dating someone who is recently in recovery, five months and we have been dating for just about a month shy of that. He had a really rough night last night...Really wanted to use, but says that he didn't as he called one of his friends who helped him get through it. I knew something was wrong last night, my women's intuition was going crazy. My question is what can I do to be supportive to him? I always encourage him to attend meetings etc. What types of things should I avoid doing? I don't want to cause him any additional stress to make him use again. I appreciate any suggestions or information anyone is willing to share. I love him so much. Thank you!
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Renae38... Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing with us. I understand your concerns and I'm glad you reached out.

There's a terrific book out there that I think could help you with the questions you have. It's called Beyond Addiction: How Science and Kindness Help People Change and it's written specifically for partners/parents of people struggling with addiction. It teaches you how to communicate better with your loved one, how to give them positive reinforcement, how to take good care of yourself when dealing with their issues, and more. You should definitely check it out.

I would also suggest you consider going to Nar-Anon or Al-Anon meetings. Being around people who know exactly what you're going through and feeling can be super helpful and comforting. You would also be able to ask those people questions.

Be supportive of your partner and offer encouragement. Be compassionate. And do your best to avoid getting angry. Anger only breeds more anger.

I hope this helps, even a little. We are here to help and support you however we can. Please feel free to reach out anytime you feel like it.

Sending you lots of light, love, and hope.