An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by Wordsmith75, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Wordsmith75

Wordsmith75 Member

My problem started later than most. I used to drink Friday/Saturday nights (6 to 8 beers) and a few on a Wednesday or Thursday night (maybe 4 or 5) so pretty standard fare for someone in their 20's. For me I can pinpoint a particular week when I was about 26 when my girlfriend went away for a month and things started to change. I bought a bottle of wine on the first night then went back to the shop and bought 2 beers and drank all of that alone. The next night I thought **** it I'll get more booze in as there is a football match on the T.V so I had the same (wine and beer) Night 3 was the same and so on.
    At the end of the week it dawned on me I'd been drunk every single night. Wow I thought, that's not like me. But from that point onwards proggressively it did become like me. I started taking an interest in Football almost as an excuse to go to the pub alone and stare at a screen during the daytime at weekends and pour 4 pints down my neck. I started buying wine on the way back from the pub.
    In my life up to that point I'd see 3 consecutive days of drinking as a massive no no. Just something that wasn't acceptable. For some reason during that week it changed for ever. Almost as if I'd stopped caring. I used to notice how bad I looked after a nights drinking but I guess looking bad became usual in the end.
  2. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

This sounds really familiar - you could have been describing the last couple of years of my life!

I have some goals that aren't able to be realized just yet. It became apparent that was the case about two years ago and it seemed like a switch went off in my brain. I had essentially stopped caring and decided I could 'do whatever' in the meantime, as if my life is on pause until I can pursue my goals. Over a reasonably short amount of time things became the norm that never would have been previously (i.e. drinking three nights in a row).

I'm making huge changes now, and I figure it's better late than never. It's quite hard to change those thought patterns and coping mechanisms though. Have you decided to make a lifestyle change now? I've found that coming to this forum has really helped motivate me and keep me conscious about the decisions I'm making.