An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

10 Tips to Boost Resilience

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Jen S., Nov 11, 2014.

1. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

2. springbreeze

springbreeze Active Contributor

Wow, these are all great tips!!! I was looking for 1 or 2 that would be the most important. But really they all are very important. These tips would be perfect for everyone looking to create and live a better, happier life.
    Jen S. likes this.
  3. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

I agree!
    You don't have to be a recovering alcoholic or drug addict to get to know yourself better and try to improve daily. That's a good thing no matter who you are. :)
  4. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

Resiliency is something that we could all benefit from. It gives you the ability to adapt and progress through adversity. Resiliency helps you to bounce back from life's rough spots and bounce back stronger than before. With being resilient, failure is never an option.
  5. springbreeze

springbreeze Active Contributor

Yes, yes, yes!!! You're both so right on. This is actually something(s) I really need to work on. In good times, I'm great at doing these tips. But when hard times hit, I forget or go lax. And that's really when I should be doing them.
  6. geegee

geegee Active Contributor

Another image I just had to save! Thanks again Jen! I used to be such a negative person. I thought this was something I couldn't change. I also thought those who were positive didn't exert effort on their attitude, that they were just naturally that way. I've learned slowly and painfully that you have to work on that positivity. It isn't something that just happens. When you do try though, it makes all the difference!
  7. Krrizal

Krrizal Member

Thank you for this! I downloaded the image on my phone to carry with me always.
  8. Mallard

Mallard Member

GREAT GREAT TIPS Jen!! I think my favorite is be accepting of change. So many of us think change can be a bad thing or don't want to do it, but it is a part of life! Nothing stays the same, we are always evolving. And having a positive outlook, especially regarding yourself, is invaluable! :)
  9. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Psychological health & traumatic brain injury is where this is from. Yes these are all very good. I think I had many traumatic brain injuries as a child. They were all caused by my parents. I guess some Moms and Dads don't realized how very important they are as the basis of a child's life.
    "be accepting of change" This one has been coming up a lot lately. You know what? I have always loved change. I have sought it out. Many, many times over I have always been the first to say, "this is not working and it is time for a change." I am over it. Change is not always the best way. The new one is, "change without change". It's like work and your relationship with your significant other are the biggest ones, right? Yes we want to make more money, but at what cost? Changing out your mate like underwear. This doesn't work. I think the most important part about that is to take a look at the conflicts there. If you can live with them you can work it out. If the negative parts of that relationship are just not something to live with. By all means change it. Move on and find someone more suitable for you. Change reality, that is what I am into changing now. Not my job or my boyfriend or my friends or where I live. None of this works. You need to love what and who is in your life.
    What some people don't realize is that you can't go back. This relationship didn't work. This is over. You had your chance. Oh yeah sometimes someone will come back. Do you want them? Doesn't it depend on one thing? Amazing how someone will change for you or show that they are willing to change but you don't want them anymore. You know why? Because they weren't what you wanted in the first place. If everything doesn't line up when you are with them it won't work just because someone decided to change for the better months or years later. It rans its course and that's it. Feelings over. Especially when you have met someone who is what you've been looking for. I know what that's like. I'm kind of glad to have been with someone I completely didn't want so I could know exactly what is great for me. Changing yourself to be someone you are not just to please another is just not going to work.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Very nice graphic info. :)
    Being a positive thinker can really bring good results or better tomorrow. There should be hope that there will be solutions and opportunities to change.
  11. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I know I’m much better about following some of these tips than others, but that’s how I know this is a good list. I’ve noticed my ability to bounce back has progressed so much since I’ve made a conscious effort to improve my attitude and how I handle things. Sometimes it’s difficult to remember, much less act on these tips, but it’s well worth it.
  12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Thank you so much for sharing this relevant post to us here. Very helpful. :)

And yes, I totally agree with that. It's just okay to stumble and fall along the way, we're not perfect anyway, but what's important is that you always try to stand up again. That's what resilience is all about, having the courage to face the future once more with open mind and open heart.
  13. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Great infographic - I loved what it said about not seeing a crisis as unconquerable. Sometimes I really think being resilient is a matter of mindset. If you're constantly using negative self talk and seeing every problem as being unable to be fixed, then you're really losing any chance of fixing it before you've even tried. There is something to be said about maintaining a positive attitude!
  14. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Great tips and a timely reminder for me. I am sure we can all benefit from these tips. Recently I have been feeling quite overwhelmed. These tips should help me through the week and beyond. Thanks for sharing.