An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

11 Facts about Smoking

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by darkrebelchild, Mar 31, 2016.

1. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

Here are some hard truths about smoking to help you or a loved one:

1. About 8.6 million people in the US have at least 1 serious illness that’s caused by smoking.
    2. Smoking is the cause of 1 in 5 deaths in the US annually. And tobacco use is the leading preventable cause of death.
    3. About 1.69 billion pounds of butts end up as toxic trash each year, making cigarettes the most littered item on Earth. Get the filter out! Clean up cigarette butt litter through GTFO.
    4. For every person that dies from a smoking-related disease, there are 20 more who suffer from at least 1 serious illness associated with smoking.
    5. The CDC estimates that adult male smokers lose an average of 13.2 years of life and female smokers lose 14.5 years of life because of smoking. And given the diseases that smoking can cause, it can steal your quality of life long before you die.
    6. In 2012, 18.1% of Americans, 18 and older, were current smokers.
    7. A single cigarette contains over 4,800 chemicals, 69 of which are known to cause cancer. Secondhand smoke contains over 7,000 chemicals, including 70 cancer-causing chemicals.
    8. In 2013, states will collect $25.7 billion from tobacco taxes and legal settlements but are spending less than 2 percent of that on tobacco control programs.
    9. Investing 15 percent ($3.7 billion) of the $25.7 billion it would fund every state tobacco control program at CDC-recommended levels.
    10. Every year, there are approximately 46,000 deaths from heart disease in people who are current non-smokers.
    11. Smoking increases your risk of getting lung diseases like pneumonia, emphysema and chronic bronchitis.
    Reference: dosomething.org
  2. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

These are pretty accurate facts. Cigarettes have caused the death of some of my own family members. I stopped smoking cigarettes a while ago. They put more and more chemicals in them now than ever before. Smoking can be the worst choice in the long run.
  3. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

Meanwhile, when was the last time you heard about marijuana killing someone? It's a strange world we live in where some drugs are banned, while others drugs like cigarettes and alcohol aren't. I mean some people don't even consider nicotine and alcohol as drugs. It is truly bizarre.
  4. Zelle139

Zelle139 Member

I find this absolutely ridiculous. Nicotine, alcohol, caffeine, sugar, all drugs. Marijuana is also a drug. Each are harmful in their own ways, but marijuana is probably the least harmful of them all, especially depending on how it's consumed. The amount of misinformation going around because of old "facts" that have already been proven untrue is really quite sad... Thanks OP for this informative list~
  5. remnant

remnant Community Champion

These facts are staggering and should leave anyone in a daze. The fact that cigarette smoke can contain such a mind boggling amount of chemicals is scandalous. But the poignant issue is that smokers have to be saved from themselves. Even graphic images on cigarette packs will not deter them. Its time people of conviction and goodwill classified cigarettes as a raging pandemic.
  6. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

If everyone had to make list and put the most least harmful drugs at the top and the most harmful ones at the bottom everyone would have a different list. I would put caffeine and sugar at the top, and work my way down from there.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Interesting list of facts, thanks for sharing :) I was actually checking out a list about smoking facts the other day, and to my surprise it seems a big portions of the world's smokers is in China. Unbelievable if you ask me, as well as incredibly scary. I mean, isn't like in China they don't have enough pollution and new cancer cases daily... poor people.
  8. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Very accurate and smoking is just a deadly thing to do. I feel bad for most of the people who do as they just get hooked to the nicotine and they can't stop very easily.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Agree that smoking kills and sadder part is that, non smokers are affected. Worst is that the authorities here or people in general, do not get alarmed of those who smoke in public and one can easily buy cigarettes everywhere even the minors.
  10. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

Thank you very much for the facts. I was aware of the most of the facts. The first and the last one are the most informative. The last one exposes the risk of developing the diseases and that is the most important fact. There are many 'newbie' smokers out there and they left smoking just because of the disease fact. Well, nobody would like to develop any disease due to smoking.
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

It still astounds me that we know of all the dangers these days of smoking, and we still have new people consistently taking up the habit. We can't act like we're uninformed - from the statistics basically one in five adults is a current smoker. That's way too much when you think of the health risks.
  12. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Thank you for sharing that list. People seem to just ignore the harm cigarettes do to them despite the negative facts. Oh well, it's their life to live anyway, not ours.