An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

17 days alcohol, drug and smoke free

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by L_B, Mar 14, 2016.

1. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Glad to know he's doing fine. Yeah I know what you mean. Sometimes when I used to get sick, I used brandy. This was more for the intoxication then for anything else. Vicks works just as well, but I used my illness as an excuse to drink brandy. Anyways, I am glad you're on the right path and that his sugar levels are down. That's really wonderful news!
  2. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

He is doing great and you need to keep on doing great. It is obvious that this is one of the hardest combination to quit but 17 days is a massive improvement and he probably has strong iron nerves and will. I hope he doesn't quit quitting and that he ends up as a winner in this one. Support is something he will need as well and I think that you as a wife are doing a wonderful job. Much luck for you both.
    deanokat likes this.
  3. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

Wow! I am impressed by the story. I am very happy. You are having some quality time with your husband, that's great. Fantastic story. I am sure that God will really help you this happy moment will last forever. We all are with you. I am praying to God for you happiness. This story will motivate a lot of people. 17 days may not sound much but it is a great step. You just need to keep him motivated. Spend time with him and make him aware of the dangers of relapsing. Hopefully, he will be 100 percent clean. :)
  4. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

As her husband, seems like you're doing a great job on helping him and giving him support to beat up those habits, hopefully there were more people like you and your husband as well, however you, as a couple, gotta keep fighting hard against that, get held to love and everything will be beaten easily, I have relatives that have fallen in that and nobody could get them back to normal, I think it is because they are not up to manage the struggle and spiritual effort it takes, congratulations, hope you finally make your way up to happiness as a couple<3
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

It has actually been over a month now and things are still going good. He does carve it but so far we have been able to find other things to do when the urge hits. We have been going out a lot more. We enjoy going hiking, going on a road trip, taking in a movie or going to a hockey game. We never did those things in the past because I just couldn't go anywhere with him when he was drinking. I was always walking on egg shells but now I finally feel like I can breath which is a great feeling.
  6. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@L_B... So happy for you. And for your husband. :)
    L_B likes this.
  7. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Things are still going good as far as his addictions are going. He is remaining clean but I have found that I have come to be his target when he is craving something. He turns on me and because very mean with his words. It is hurtful and hard to deal with. Even though I am glad that he is clean of drugs, alcohol and cigarettes it hurts to have to still be walking on egg shells. He seems to be getting more angry the longer he goes. I do my best not to let it get to be because once the craving passes he seems more at ease.
  8. deanokat

@L_B... I'm sorry you're still walking on egg shells. Is your husband doing any kind of therapy or continuing outpatient treatment? Just wondering if those things might be able to help him with dealing with the cravings.

Sending you positivity always.
    L_B likes this.
  9. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

I wish your husband all the good in the world! However there's still a long road to go, you have to be strong, I've been in your husband's place and believe me, he doesn't mean it, but sometimes you can be so irascible that everything bothers you, even the sound of the door opening, of the sound of another person's breath.
    L_B likes this.
  10. L_B

L_B Community Champion

At what point do you walk away? Tonight he got wasted and I was actually terrified. He is passed out now and all it calm but there were a few hours that I seriously wondered what the outcome would be. I am actually scared to allow myself to fall asleep. All that time clean and he snapped. Not sure what tomorrow will bring.
  11. deanokat

@L_B... I'm so sorry to hear this. Being terrified in your own home is not good. Being scared to fall asleep is not good. You may want to consider leaving, at least for a little while. Of course, the decision is yours. I'm just telling you what my gut says. You deserve to be happy and feel safe. I hope you are okay, my friend. I'm sorry I didn't see your post until this morning.
  12. Acooper79

Acooper79 Member

That's really good. He's tackling alot of problems at once. It's a 3 fold withdrawal. And for that 17 days is great. I could make it 3 or 4 maybe a week just trying to cold turkey the smokes. So I eventually just switched to sweedish snus. It's a cop out but I've always told myself studies find it to be the least problematic form of tobacco. I have always loved a drinks on the weekends or even only every 2nd or 3rd weekend. I'm on here sort of afraid I might become an alcoholic if I'm not careful since I've gotten a taste for red wine. And I can't even imagine what drug withdrawal is like. My sister has battled the uppers and opiates for years mostly in the form of prescriptions. I know after 3 days of hydrocodone every 5 or 6 hours for miserable sinus headaches I had to withdraw myself slowly. And I felt horrid. Anyways that's a good accomplishment. All the best of luck to him!
  13. Acooper79

Acooper79 Member

Just read the post about the relapse. Hopefully you were not scared for you or your loved ones safety. If so you have a hard decision to make. If you were just afraid of him having to be hospitalized due to severe intoxication everyone has a pitfall don't discourage just help him get through it.
  14. deanokat

@L_B... How are things going, my friend? How are YOU doing?? I've been praying for you and your husband.