New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

20 Things to Remember When You Think You're Not Good Enough

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by deanokat, Nov 16, 2015.

1. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I read this yesterday and thought it was one of the best things I've read in a long time. My son, who is in recovery, also suffers from depression, and he struggles with self-esteem almost daily. So this article and list really resonated with me. I know a lot of people in recovery struggle with this issue, too. Like the article says, "We all have bad days and moments of self-doubt." Bottom line: I think this is something everyone should read. Check it out and let me know what you think. Here's the link...

20 Things to Remember When You Think You're Not Good Enough
  2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Thank you for the list, I've been dealing with low self-esteem for the better part of my life and while I'm making baby steps in terms of fixing this issue I'm still struggling. It doesn't help that my anxiety levels are off the charts, but this list made me think and value myself more. Thank you!
    deanokat likes this.
  3. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

Self confidence is my biggest struggle. I have a hard time thinking I'm good enough, so this list will serve a huge purpose for me. I really love the line that says "Your scars are symbols of your strength." That is a beautiful thing to hear. I think I may use that when people are going through a rough time because that is a wonderful piece of information.
    deanokat likes this.
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Thank you for sharing this beautiful piece. It pretty much sums up what we need to do whenever we feel down or "not enough." Changing your perspective helps a lot. I'd also like to share this really amazing Khalil Gibran quote which I took from a cancer patient's blog. She's trying her best to stay optimistic despite her situation. Here it is:
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran
    deanokat likes this.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Bookmarking this - and I'm going to share it with my loved ones too. I especially liked this part of the piece:

Self-respect, self-love, self-worth… there’s a reason they all start with “self.” You can’t receive them from anyone else.

It's something I need to remember!
    deanokat likes this.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Thanks for the list, it is indeed inspiring, although it's hard not to compare oursleves with others, we should refrain from doing it because it will just make us insecure and inadequate in the end.
    deanokat likes this.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

There are definitely some good tips on the list, and not thinking your good enough is nearly always a huge problem they will hopefully help with.

It is very easy to think your not good enough though as the way society is these days, it seems that everyone is being compared to each other instead of people just being able to be themselves.
    deanokat likes this.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Thanks for sharing this one to us here. Very relevant and helpful. I actually do suffer from depression once in a while, specially when there's just too much negativity and stress around me. And yes, sometimes, it's only about our constant battle with ourselves. Try to focus on yourself alone, be proud of every little thing you have accomplished, and don't try to compare yourself to other people.
    Jfree253 and deanokat like this.
  9. OriMerchan

OriMerchan Member

That is a good article! Sometimes we forget to value ourselves and that's so wrong!
    I know so many people who fight with depressions and it is very sad to know that they see themselves and don't like anything about it or that they don't think they are good enough. that article helps a little to open our eyes and see the things a little different.
    deanokat likes this.
  10. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

This is a really great article. You are right it is good for everyone to read. It made me smile because if you've lived you know these things. But when you read it like this one after the other in the way that it's written. It's written by a "professional coach" it says. These two are life coaches. This is very popular in metropolitan areas. Very different approach than the typical and 500 times more effective. Most life coaches are people that have struggled with life themselves. They know what to do but they didn't do it themselves so they get into this for work cause there are so many people that need help. It makes me think of that movie with Owen Wilson "You, Me, & Dupree" his life was a complete and utter mess. He was living with this couple. Somehow he decides to be a life coach. Funny movie. I think the predominant and important complaint with people who are in any kind of recovery, emotional issue, or even criminal/drug reform is that how can a counselor help unless they've walked in that person's shoes.
    Thanks for posting the article.
  11. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Thank you for posting this. It is a great article and one that I really needed to read. I have always has low self esteem and little confidence in myself. There are so many times that I have felt like I wasn't good enough. I am a work in progress but I am getting better day by day.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Self esteem is always a hard thing to get back once it's lost, and that's the same for everyone.

While it's easier said then done, not listening to others and just focusing on yourself is one way to build yourself back up again.
  13. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Feeling of insignificance is really bad, it will damage your life and push you into a void. You need to remember you are a special person in the world, there was no one like you, there will be no one like you and there is no one like you.
    The article highlights important points
  14. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Thank you for sharing this article to us. What resonated to me the most is this one:

You don't need to get everyone's approval first.

I have always been a people pleaser. I say yes just because people want to hear it. Or I try to stay quiet even when I know it's against my own preferences. Why? Because I grew up that way. We were taught to pay respect to people especially to those older than us. So even if I don't want to do something, I do it to seek the appreciation of other people.

I know better now though. I know that I have to do something even if it doesn't necessarily go with other's opinions or approval.
  15. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

This is a very good article for everyone especially those struggling with low self esteem. People usually fail to think positive when they are down and this article shows that there is always an upside to a situation. This information is really helpful and I can use it in the future when dealing with certain obstacles.
    deanokat likes this.
  16. Natalie

Natalie Member

Today more then ever i needed to be reminded of all those things. Thank you for posting that
    deanokat likes this.
  17. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I hope you were able to get something good out of the post, @Natalie. :)
  18. FRonquillo35

FRonquillo35 Member

What a great reminder! Recovering from addiction is not an easy journey but we often doubt ourselves instead of recognizing how far we have come. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Dominica and deanokat like this.
  19. marcatolaptop

marcatolaptop Member

Wow, this thread is really inspiring. I, myself has a very low self esteem. :(
    I am trying to break through from it.
    I will be sharing the article too.

I hope this helps as well, I found this article online.
    https://ponbee.com/how-to-boost-self-esteem/
    Dominica and deanokat like this.
  20. lonewolves

lonewolves Senior Contributor

This post is just what I needed today!
    deanokat, Dominica and True concern like this.