An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

25 Years Smoke-Free

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by deanokat, Oct 12, 2015.

1. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Yesterday (October 11th) marked 25 years since I quit smoking once and for all. I wrote a blog post to commemorate this very special occasion. If anyone's interested in reading it, here's the link:

25 Years Smoke-Free

To everyone out there who is trying to quit cigarettes, please don't give up. It might take you many attempts, but you can absolutely kick smoking's ass. I'm proof of that.
    singingintherain likes this.
  2. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Wow, congratulations! Even if I know that over time I will be smoke-free just as much, it is still something. Most people can even last a year without having a cigarette.

To be honest, I don't count the days/months, and I won't count years as well, most likely. I know that I stopped smoking in November, one year ago, but can't remember the exact date. I just did it because I wanted to and didn't consider it such an achievement at that time.
    singingintherain and deanokat like this.
  3. BrandonA

BrandonA Active Contributor

Congratulations. You are in rarefied air (no pun intended!). Keep it up.
    deanokat likes this.
  4. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

That is so fantastic!

I really enjoyed your blog post - you have a great writing style. It was a great idea to record the moment of that last cigarette all those years ago! Did you ever pull out the card and read it when you got a craving?
    deanokat likes this.
  5. Honest Abe

Honest Abe Member

God Bless You!

That is fantastic. Glad you were not tempted to go at it again throughout the time you stopped. I had a friend who once told me, upon opening a pack after quitting for a year, "Sometimes, you need to decide if you're a smoker or if you're not." He decided upon breaking his rule. But he has now been away for over two years. I'm looking to follow suit. Having a hard time stopping!
    deanokat likes this.
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That's great! :D
    Saw your blog and read parts of it. I like how you keep track of it and wrote at the back of a business card to remind you of it. Great reason to celebrate and you are an inspiration for those who also want to quit.
    deanokat likes this.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

25 years is a massive achievement so congratulations for that. I think many people think that once your over the initial dependanxe than it gets easier, and for some people it does. Others though are always susceptible to starting again, you just have to have the willpower and motivation not to give in to the temptation.
    deanokat likes this.
  8. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@singingintherain... I pulled that card out dozens and dozens of times. It was a little piece of cardboard motivation. :)
  9. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Congratulations with your success. I believe any addiction can be broken with the right approach and willpower. You can probably motivate a lot of people with your story. thanks for sharing.
  10. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Good job man! I just wish that I can go on as long as you are doing. I'm not really confident when it comes to controlling myself. I have histories of relapse. The first time I tried to quit smoking was when I was in college. I was able to stop but when I started working, I wasn’t able to cope up with the stress and I started smoking again. Then after I resigned from that job, I was able to stop smoking (again). Then I landed this other job that is more stressful so the habit kicked-in (again). Then, (yes, you’ve guessed it right), I resigned from that job. Now, I just work at home and it’s been 8 years since I touched a cigarette. I hope that I can endure and continue being cigarette-free.
  11. SLTE

SLTE Community Champion

Damn. That's impressive. Good for you. Any stretch of time when someone can step away from a cigarette addiction is good, given what the things do to your body.

It's all the more impressive that you did it during a time when there wasn't a huge hate-on for the things. I remember anti-cigarette sentiment building during the 90s, but it wasn't particularly strong.
  12. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

25 years is a long time, congratulations! If you can do it then others can do it and I hope this encourages them to do so. I admire your strength and determination. 25 years of freedom from nicotine is something worth celebrating every single day.